Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausage vs avoiding processed food page

jnicholas is offline Junior Member

Sausage vs avoiding processed food

Primal Fuel
    A big part of eating well is avoiding processed food and many studies that implicate red meat turn out to artificially conflating red meat with industrialized processed food. I'm very interested in the community opinion on the higher quality sausages available. For example, Whole Foods carries "The Original Brat Hans" brand, the packaging says "Minimally processed; no artificial ingredients" and "No Antibiotics, No Nitrates, Nitrites or MSG"

I'm looking for easy food to take to work and these seem great since they come in many flavors and are easy to make at work. I just don't want to be fooling myself.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Ignore the hype terms, what's actually IN it? The ingredients are what matter.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    It should basically say pork, salt, spices....some add sugar to their sausages.

If I want sausage I usually seek out the quality ones with ingredients I'm familiar with and acceptable. Even with high quality ones I rarely eat them. I much prefer a fresh cut of meat. I also don't like that I have to fully cook sausages.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    When I want sausage, I get Billinski's organic sausage or Applegate Farms breakfast sausage. Both are minimally processed, and the ingredients list works for me. And both are pre-cooked, so it's just heating them up.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Most mass-produced sausage contains BHT to preserve it in transit. I'd steer clear of them. Places that have store-ground sausage are often fine. As already stated, read the ingredients.

Shop Rite, for example, has the best sausage I've seen from a normal grocery chain. "Pork, salt, spices" are all that's in it. Not even any sugar (which wouldn't keep me from buying it). It's made in-store, so there are no need for preservatives. Trader Joe's has some solid choices for pork and chicken sausage as well. All of these places are using CAFO pork for the most part, though.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jnicholas is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Ignore the hype terms, what's actually IN it? The ingredients are what matter.
    Chicken, less than 2% of the following: Chicken Broth, Salt, Red Pepper, White Pepper, Black Pepper, Dehydrated Onion and Garlic, Turbinado Sugar, Paprika, Dehydrated Parsley, Lemon Juice, Extract of Oregano.

I think this one has more ingredients than the other one I tried recently.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ally415 View Post
    It should basically say pork, salt, spices....some add sugar to their sausages.
    This. Except that there are also some good sausages out there made from well raised fowl and other four legged critters besides pigs. I love sausages this time of year. In and out of the kitchen pretty quickly.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    I get my butcher to grind pork & beef to order and then make my own, no added crap to worry about that way as I know exactly what Ive added to it if anything.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Breakfast sausage is basically ground pork, salt, pepper, and sage. I just put those spices on pastured ground pork and it satisfies all my urges. Okay, not all my urges.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jnicholas View Post
    Chicken, less than 2% of the following: Chicken Broth, Salt, Red Pepper, White Pepper, Black Pepper, Dehydrated Onion and Garlic, Turbinado Sugar, Paprika, Dehydrated Parsley, Lemon Juice, Extract of Oregano.

I think this one has more ingredients than the other one I tried recently.
    I'd eat this. All of it if you make it crispy enough. I love overbrowned sausage.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast