Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overwhelmed beginner, or how do I up fats without upping protein? page

johnthorpe is offline Junior Member

Overwhelmed beginner, or how do I up fats without upping protein?

Hey guys

I'm new to this. I started, oh Wednesday, so I've had 5 whole days of eating like a king. It's been godly. My son has never seen so much bacon cross his plate.

So far, I'm doing good with keeping carbs down. I've read enough about grains to know those evil bastards are behind a lot of issues, and as an ex-smoker, when I make up my mind to quit something, I quit.

My problems are two-fold. One, I can't figure out how much to eat. I know it's a range and it can vary, and it will probably go down as I burn off this grain gut. But, I don't know how to calculate the grams of protein and fats I need per day.

Second, I can't seem to get the protein/fat ratios anywhere near where they should be. I way overdo the protein and that seems to hold me back some. When I have a day where I'm at my protein goal, and I've had my carbs, what can I reasonably eat that will only tag up my fat numbers? I'm totally stumped.

I'm 32/male/5'9 230 lbs. Well, I was 230. I'm down 6 pounds in 5 days, which has me looking at the skinny jeans in my closet and giggling. Either way, it wasn't a football-player 230 -- i've got a grain gut and not much in the way of muscle.

To give some perspective, today I'm at ~1800 calories, 114g fat (57%), 162g protein (38%), and a whopping 22g carbs (4%). I'm also hungry and 1800 calories feels low to me. The protein feels higher than it should be.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, or maybe a tweak is needed. I'm new, I can stand to be corrected. In fact, I'm practically begging for it!

I've got many reasons for needing to succeed. The seemingly biggest one (no woman in a college town wants to shag a fatty when they can have a lean college boy) is outweighed by my need to set a good example for my son. He's 4, his mother is the largest vegetarian/carbetarian I've ever known, and I need to be that role model for him. I've read everything, and most likely over-read and overlooked this info. If someone can even point me in the right direction, i'll owe you some combination of lard and hugs.

<3
    john

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Hey dude,

I had a similar problem when I started. I was like "how am I supposed to get 70+% fat? It's attached to protein!". I've discovered plenty of tasty ways to up the fat cals but the starting point(s) is a new friend and an old one. Coconut oil/milk and butter. Cook with coconut oil and butter, put butter on your veggies, and I dilute coconut milk with water and then just drink it. It's damn good and will help you get your fat to protein ratios where you want them.

Enjoy!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget bacon!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Johnthorpe,
    I know it's gonna sound weird, but one thing that's helped me is to put about a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee or tea.
    It's about 117 cals, and almost 14 grams of yummy fat. I used to IF breakfast almost every day, but I've started having this instead. Seems like it really revvs up my metabolism, as I get nice and warm right after. Then I go take a walk or work out.

Don't try it in the evening, however...you don't want to be ramped up, then

Darthash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    Johnthorpe,
    I know it's gonna sound weird, but one thing that's helped me is to put about a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee or tea.
    It's about 117 cals, and almost 14 grams of yummy fat. I used to IF breakfast almost every day, but I've started having this instead. Seems like it really revvs up my metabolism, as I get nice and warm right after. Then I go take a walk or work out.

I am going to try this tomorrow morning now cause i have trouble finding different ways of getting the fat in cause i don't like coconut milk/cream, just taste yuk :S

Pokiey is offline Junior Member
    Coconut oil has become my new best friend! I had the same trouble getting my fats up but now I try to eat a tbsp straight up before each meal and sometimes in between. It took me a few times to get used to the texture but it has definitely helped. Also putting butter on everything helps too!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    Johnthorpe,

Batty told me the same thing so I decided to try coconut oil in my coffee. I mentioned for coconut oil at supermarket and all they have it for is suntan lotion and they looked at me like I was nuts to cook with it. Then at the fruit and veg shop they had some for cooking but looked at me like I was nuts when I said I was going to put it in my coffee.

To the OP, buy fattier cuts of meat. Chicken thigs are better than chicken breasts. Rump is a better cut of steak. Mince (ground meat) can be very fatty. Pretty soon you'll start judging your meat by how much fat it has and then ask the butcher if he has any fattier cuts out the back.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    "grain gut" - I love it!

dfast is offline Member
    +1 for coconut oil. I eat it out of the jar. Today it was so warm in my house that it was really really close to melting, but still not warm enough to be completely liquid - it was heaven on a tablespoon. I'm almost drooling thinking about it right now...

Also, ghee has a really nice flavour if you can find a decent brand. Cook with it / put it on vegetables instead of butter (although butter is yummy too). Or, be completely strange and eat ghee out of the jar too. Like me .

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    John,

What method are you using to track your food?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast