Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me find food for my kids! page

janelangan is offline Junior Member

Please help me find food for my kids!

Primal Fuel
    Aargh! I am so frustrated. I am living in the kitchen, spending so much time trying to make kid-friendly primal foods, and my kids like NONE of it. I am especially struggling with breakfast food. One of my 4 children is just a bread fanatic. I have tried paleo bread, but no go. I made blueberry muffins and they were great, but the kids did not want to eat them. Any ideas? I refuse to attempt to make primal Lucky Charms.
    HELP!
    Jane

P.S. I do recognize that it is my own fault (and my husband's) for creating such picky eaters. We fell prey to the modern American convenience mentality.
    Last edited by janelangan; 06-24-2013 at 08:28 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Put bacon, eggs, and whole fruit on the table. Every day. They'll get used to it.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    They'll get hungry eventually. YOU decide what and when they eat, THEY decided *if* and how much. Nobody will starve if they skip a meal or a snack by choice.

Stop trying to replace bread and flour-based foods with primalized versions. They will never measure up.

Instead, start replacing those foods with tasty meat, veggies, root veggies, fruit, nuts, full-fat dairy, etc. There are really good foods out there that they/you probably never have considered as a meal or snack because the default choice was bread/cereal based. CW breakfast foods are closer to desserts than any other meal. Feed them leftover dinner or lunch for breakfast.

I just downloaded a free paleo kids recipe e-book from amazon. Haven't looked at it yet. Eat Like a Dinosaur is a popular paleo kid recipe book. Also check out Everyday Paleo and Nom Nom Paleo to see what these bloggers feed their kids.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

pollo_la is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Put bacon, eggs, and whole fruit on the table. Every day. They'll get used to it.
    I like this!!

ANyway, I have 6 kids (ages 8,6,5,3,1, and newborn) We just switched to primal about 3 months ago. As for the Paleo baked goods - maybe try a few more. Some are really quite terrible, but I personally have found a few that are fabulous (well actually I tweaked a few recipes and made them even better - after trying about 100 recipes I found I could tweak pretty well). Anyway, I have a bread recipe that actually works in the toaster and is great with eggs (and you can make it in the bread machine too). We do that with eggs for breakfast 2-3 days a week. We have a couple "sweet" bread recipes that we like - one is just a spice bread and another is a pumpkin bread. And we have a couple muffin recipes and a pancake recipe that we do for breakfasts too. All of this came about through a LOT of trial and error though. We tend to favor recipes that call for about 1/2 coconut flour and 1/2 tapioca flour.

For dinner I have discovered something wonderful. I take a bunch of meat (any meat really, a roast, steaks, pork chops, etc) and I put it in the slow cooker in the morning and add salt and onion powder. It cooks all day and then I serve it with cut up fruit and some kind of veggie dish at night. THe veggie can be as simple as streamed broccoli with butter and salt, or something more involved. SOmetimes just a spinach salad with cheese sprinkled on it. Oh, a favorite quick meal here is ground beef with salsa added after it's all cooked up. The kids put cheese on theirs and stir it all in. Another good choice is bun less burgers. Oh, and a dirty little secret. Yep, I let my kids put organic ketchup on their meat. I don't let them drench their meat in ketchup, but I have decided that a couple tablespoons of organic ketchup at a few meals a week is NOT going to kill them. ;-)

In the beginning I spent a lot of time trying to recreate meals what were once our old favorites. Really, it's better just to find new meals that we love instead of trying to re-create a primal version of something we once loved.

If you want any of my recipes that I use for our baked stuff, just let me know, and I'll try and get a few typed up for you.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janelangan View Post
    Aargh! I am so frustrated. I am living in the kitchen, spending so much time trying to make kid-friendly primal foods, and my kids like NONE of it. I am especially struggling with breakfast food. One of my 4 children is just a bread fanatic. I have tried paleo bread, but no go. I made blueberry muffins and they were great, but the kids did not want to eat them. Any ideas? I refuse to attempt to make primal Lucky Charms.
    HELP!
    Jane

P.S. I do recognize that it is my own fault (and my husband's) for creating such picky eaters. We fell prey to the modern American convenience mentality.
    Here is what our family had for breakfast this morning:

Child 1: leftover boiled potatoes, refried (the adults had this too, plus bacon and eggs)
    Child 2: Oatmeal
    Child 3: Cornflakes/Ricies

It's better to lose the battle and win the war.

Hungry kids will eat. It's just harder for them if their tastes have to be retrained from appreciating high sugar meals.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JenLiana is offline Member
    I like the idea of putting a spread of bacon and fruit at the table to let them choose what they want. You could also scramble eggs with some of their favorite things to eat, like if they like certain veggies or whatever, and have that on the table as well.

I find also, that if I get my kids involved with the cooking process they are MUCH more likely to at least try what we've made. And its a lot of fun for all of us.

Thirdly, and maybe this sounds mean. If my kids refuse to eat whats given to them. They don't get to eat. They kick up a huge fuss, but I calmly explain to them about all the children in the world who are very unlucky and don't get to eat at all. And that seems to help a bit. And if it doesn't, if I am consistent and don't give in, they will eat eventually. I often set aside the food they don't eat and when they ask later for food, I serve that food to them.

I will give you a recipe for easy pancakes since you asked for ideas...
    Have you tried making banana pancakes for them yet? Its so easy all you need is banana's and eggs. Just mash 1 banana in with 2 eggs, and cook with some butter - voila ( make a bit smaller for easier cooking ) You could even make a berry syrup with it. I just toss in some frozen blueberries, or strawberries, add about a teaspoon of vanilla extract in the saucepan with the berries, medium heat until the juices start to run a bit, add a dash of cinnamon, and some honey and serve on top! Its so yummy ( specially with strawberries, who doesn't like strawberry/banana right?
    Last edited by JenLiana; 06-24-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears. And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears, get over your hill and see what you'll find there, with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

pollo_la is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenLiana View Post
    Thirdly, and maybe this sounds mean. If my kids refuse to eat whats given to them. They don't get to eat.
    This!!! This has ALWAYS been standard at our house, and I definitely think it made our switch to primal easier. Overall my kids were not "picky" when we started this whole thing, but I was amazed at some of the things they were willing to try and things that they like that it never occurred to me that they even would. Basically, because that was the food presented (and they knew that would be it) they went ahead and ate! Sometimes I do serve something that one of them really doesn't care for. In that case they may eat a bite or two and that's it until the next meal. They really do just fine, and they eat a big helping at the next meal and it's a non-issue. Oh, and it helps to not differentiate between "kid food" and "adult food." My kids eat asparagus and spinach salad with no issues (well I have one that doesn't like asparagus, and one that doesn't like spinach, but 4 out of 5 is not bad!). However, they use to leave these kinds of foods on their plate in favor of pasta with cheese sauce in our pre primal days. ;-)

astromom is offline Member
    I'm trying to convert my kids to primal too, so I understand what you are going through. I don't agree with the attitude to put it in front of them & they'll eat eventually because my kids have been failure to thrive/underweight kids who doctors wanted to feed pedisure! That said what is working for us is a gradual process, allowing the kids to have a small side dish of non-primal foods after eating more primal foods. For breakfast they have fruit and eggs first. Lunches are still mostly SAD, but both kids chose to eat fruit and salad with their PB&J at camp today. Dinner is our most primal meal - tonight we had burgers without buns although kids were allowed a tortilla, broccoli, green beans, and avocado. Both kids are becoming more aware of ingredients and are starting to ask for better foods - for instance my DD asked for plain oatmeal with just cinnamon, a big improvement over sweetened cereal. For my kids who are unusually sensitive to new textures & tastes, going slow and letting them have the chance to make good decisions seems to be working for us.

janelangan is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much for such a quick response, all! I love hearing what everyone has to say and knowing that most kids come around. I agree that I probably need to stop trying so hard to make primal versions of their old favorites.

Funny thing -- I never make homemade popsicles, but today I made a variation of the greensicles found on this page -- Greensicles. The main ingredient was SPINACH! The 5-year-old had one and asked for a second. Unbelievable.

I should note too that one of my children has Down's, so getting him to understand why there is no bread in the house is pretty hard. I think I will try the "variety of food on the table" approach with him.

Thanks, again, everyone. I sure would love to hear more. If nothing else, these responses have boosted my resolve to keep at it.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    My dd was underweight too. I realise now that I began primalising her food before I even knew what primal was. In other words I was trying to make sure that every bite she ate was full of as much nutrition as possible since it was likely that she would only have very few bites. So not just a piece of toast but french toast dipped in egg and fried in butter, or toast with butter melted in and peanut butter piled on top. I withheld the crackers and sweets because I knew if she had even the slightest amount of junk she would lose her appetite for real food. Now I've just gone even further - banana/egg pancakes, meat and roasted veges leftovers, frittatas etc. Her "worst" breakfast would be ricies with milk and banana, I can live with that. She is 12 now and thriving, barely any fat on her but fit, strong and muscular, definitely no longer underweight. Much better build than her two sisters who I probably half starved in their childhoods. Persevere, it's worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast