Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help me find food for my kids! page 2

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My dd was underweight too. I realise now that I began primalising her food before I even knew what primal was. In other words I was trying to make sure that every bite she ate was full of as much nutrition as possible since it was likely that she would only have very few bites. So not just a piece of toast but french toast dipped in egg and fried in butter, or toast with butter melted in and peanut butter piled on top. I withheld the crackers and sweets because I knew if she had even the slightest amount of junk she would lose her appetite for real food. Now I've just gone even further - banana/egg pancakes, meat and roasted veges leftovers, frittatas etc. Her "worst" breakfast would be ricies with milk and banana, I can live with that. She is 12 now and thriving, barely any fat on her but fit, strong and muscular, definitely no longer underweight. Much better build than her two sisters who I probably half starved in their childhoods. Persevere, it's worth it.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janelangan View Post
    Thanks, again, everyone. I sure would love to hear more. If nothing else, these responses have boosted my resolve to keep at it.
    Have you tried frozen bananas on a stick as a treat? Just peel a banana, break it in half, then stick each half on a 'popsicle' stick and freeze. It tastes disturbingly like icecream when you eat it.

Breakfast was the big battleground for us, and really, we decided not to win the battle and lose the war. So yeah, the kids can have ricies if they want. Just not chocolate coated sugar bombs.

Our kindy is a nut-free and egg-free zone, so lunch there is pretty much always several pieces of fruit, a slice of cheese, and maybe some yoghurt.

Try them on Bacon and eggs. It worked for a while for us (but the kids OD'd on eggs and now object to them). Or Sausages and Eggs....

Or give them smoothies for breakfast (bananas/other fruit, cream/milk/coconut, vanilla essence)
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

tresa is offline Member
    Ooo, I'll second the banana pancakes. We use like one banana and 3 eggs, viciously destroy them in our blender, then cook em in tasty butter. Everyone in the house likes them, even the 12yo who has a very short list of stuff she will eat.

astromom is offline Member
    We did banana pancakes for Father's Day and both kids loved them!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat dairy?

Munchkin loves a cheese omelet in the morning, or cheesy scrambled eggs.

Remember, you don't HAVE to do breakfast foods for breakfast. I've served meatballs on sticks, steak slices with fruit, heck, dinner leftovers reheated! In the beginning the biggest hurdle was cutting out all the sweet stuff. To do that I offered tons of savory things for the meal with the occasional (maybe 2-3x a week) dessert or treat.

Is it bread they miss or the ease of a sandwich? I had the hardest time getting Hubby off the sandwich kick-they were just so easy to throw together. If its just the ease of use then try lettuce or cabbage rolls ups with fancy toothpick holders (fancy stuff makes food taste better If its the taste or texture...eh, I still haven't found a replacement for those

For kids I've also found making it special in someway can help. That can be special kid plates or special silverware or something as simple as a carrot string used to tie up a bundle. Just something that makes it a little different and unique. Munchkin loves those separated kid trays or bowls that look plain but at the bottom is a picture. My nephew LOVES weird utensils, they have some that are basically dumptrucks on a stick for the spoon and forklifts on a stick for the fork, that type of thing, and he'll eat anything if he can play with his "trucks".
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12