Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What type of cookware to use? page 4

Lil Beastie is offline Junior Member
    I think, mainly, it depends on what your cooktop is made of. My grandmother uses all glass cookware (save for the roasting pan, which I think it that speckled aluminum you typically see in campstores) because there for a long time she had an induction cooktop and someone told her that cast iron would scratch the surface. I think she still uses it on her propane stove.

I use Stainless Steel or the All-Clad on my propane stove, although my bakeware is Baker's Secret aluminum (aaaand it's scratched. When did that happen?? Time for new ones, I guess).

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
    I've been using a Lodge cast iron skillet for a few months now, and I'm really frustrated with it. I've tried all the advice I could find on the web, such as seasoning it in the oven, and oiling it and heating it after use. Nothing works. Eggs leave a film stuck to the pan, and often I can't flip them over without breaking them into pieces. Meat leaves little bits stuck all over the pan. The only way I can get the mess off is by scrubbing with a steel scrubbie, which I know is a no-no on cast iron, but what else can I do?

Is it just my pan that's no good, because of the slightly rough surface, like Rig D mentioned? Can anyone please help me before I end up going back to the Tef-crud?
    What type of utensils are you using on it? I had the silly idea that you should use the same ones you use on nonstick to avoid "scratching" the seasoning. I was dead wrong. Use METAL utensils with a straight edge and rounded corners that let you get in everywhere.

Read the link Rig D posted a few times. Find a good OLD skillet (I have my daddy's Wagner from when he was in college). Once I got it all figured out, all I do now to clean it is scrape it clean with the metal spatula, run the non-soapy dishbrush around the inside of it once the water is hot from the rest of the dinner dishes. We live in a very low humidity climate, so I just set it back on the stove to dry out. Every once in a while (maybe twice a year), I put bacon grease or flax seed oil on it and just leave it on the burner on low for an hour or two.
    Last edited by Twibble; 07-08-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

One Sock is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Use METAL utensils with a straight edge and rounded corners that let you get in everywhere.
    My metal flipper looks straight... turns out it's not. When I hold it upright with the edge against the counter top, I can see the edge is slightly curved. Guess I need a better one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234