Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What type of cookware to use? page 3

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Opinions on swiss diamond cookware?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    sounds like an expensive way to get poisoned
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Tandy is offline Member
    I use le creuset. Expensive but it won't poison you. And they come in fun colors. It is coated cast iron.
    "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    sounds like an expensive way to get poisoned
    Not that expensive. But possibly poisonous, I dunno; that was my question I guess.

They do use a non-stick composite, but supposedly its better than ordinary non-stick stuff, both because its different in chemistry and also because there's a lot less of it, ie between the diamonds. And those diamonds stop scratch damage and that horrible flaking thing that teflon does (which is a good way to get poinsoned, disregarding all other concerns).

Cast iron is best, I agree. But it has its downsides as well.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutton View Post
    Not that expensive. But possibly poisonous, I dunno; that was my question I guess.

They do use a non-stick composite, but supposedly its better than ordinary non-stick stuff, both because its different in chemistry and also because there's a lot less of it, ie between the diamonds. And those diamonds stop scratch damage and that horrible flaking thing that Teflon does (which is a good way to get poisoned, disregarding all other concerns).

Cast iron is best, I agree. But it has its downsides as well.
    i just purchased my first forged iron set of pans and i must say, kid in the proverbial candy store.

however i am a foodie as well as a ketozealot

all i can say is damn where have you been all my life.

i did note they refused to describe what they make the coating out of but diamonds

if it bonds a chemically inert substance... it isn't really bonding to it. diamonds created in such a manner that leaves very little if any room to grab hold of it... that stuff has to basically be an epoxy resin... yeah diamond glue.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    I'm with Quelson, go with Cast Iron.
    If you get Lodge brand, be picky look at all the ones your store has and get the one that has the smoothest cooking surface. If you have the time, check out some garage sales and see if you can find Griswold or Wagner brand. They are no longer made, so are hard to find. They are more costly but are smoother on the cooking surface than Lodge, so they don't have the food sticky problems that some folks have with Lodge. In the case of cast iron, old does not mean bad, it probably will cook better than a new one. I've got a three Lodge pieces, one is good, the others are a pain in the rear.

Check out this site on why and how to use cast iron.
    How To: Cast Iron Skillet Non-Stick and Lasts a Lifetime

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    I use cast iron to fry, stainless steel for stovetop boiling and ceramic for baking a chicken. Unless it's a HUGE chicken, in which case I use this... other thing...? Might be stainless steel, not sure about that. Anyway, I'm told copper pans are awesome but they are hellah expensive.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Cast iron, stainless street, pyrex, and enameled cast iron. If I had to pick one it would be cast iron :-)

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Stainless steel**

One Sock is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been using a Lodge cast iron skillet for a few months now, and I'm really frustrated with it. I've tried all the advice I could find on the web, such as seasoning it in the oven, and oiling it and heating it after use. Nothing works. Eggs leave a film stuck to the pan, and often I can't flip them over without breaking them into pieces. Meat leaves little bits stuck all over the pan. The only way I can get the mess off is by scrubbing with a steel scrubbie, which I know is a no-no on cast iron, but what else can I do?

Is it just my pan that's no good, because of the slightly rough surface, like Rig D mentioned? Can anyone please help me before I end up going back to the Tef-crud?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast