Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Debunking the Paleo Diet... page

Chrisflyer is offline Member

Debunking the Paleo Diet...

Shop Now
    Ted x video here.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member

Timthetaco Guest
    I hadn't read that post of Robb's on the Scientific American article. Thanks for linking it.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Not everyone benefits from the same way of eating as others do. When will people realize this?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    There is a lot of BS in the "paleosphere." There are many wild assumptions, such as what is believed to be ancient food and what is believed to be neolithic food. Not everything ancient is good, and not everything neolithic is bad. There is the blind belief that refined sugars are bad but refined oils are good even though they are nutritional equals. Yes, I'm saying that coconut oil, olive oil and tallow is no better than white sugar, and actually inferior to maple syrup, honey, molasses, brown sugar, sucanat and coconut sugar. Neither of those things should be significant sources of calories and treated as cooking tools and toppings just like your frying pan, salt and pepper. There are all kinds of assumptions of what cultures ate. Yada, yada, yada.

It all doesn't matter. Don't avoid grains because "we didn't eat them til recently." Avoid grains because they are high in toxins and low in nutrients per calorie. Eat meat, fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and quality dairy because they are low in toxins and high in nutrients per calorie. Avoid PUFA vegetable oils because they are poisonous, rancid before you buy them, promote autoimmune diseases and are loaded with trans fats. Avoid soy because it is very estrogenic, a potent allergen and almost always GMO.

Base your diet around nutrient density, minimizing polyunsaturated fat and food toxins, and most of all, base it around how you feel when you eat individual foods. I bet steak and potatoes makes you feel a whole lot better than a Big Mac and fries! I eat lots of nixtamalized corn tortillas (Whole Foods brand, non-GMO, organic, treated with lime) and generally avoid nuts because I believe the former to be much healthier than the latter even though one is "paleo" and one isn't. I just made a fantastic fermented jalapeno cornbread out of masa harina and hominy. Great stuff. YMMV.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-24-2013 at 07:54 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sauerKraut is offline Member
    I actually enjoyed the video. She's not "debunking" anything, and the whole speech is confusing and does not get to the point. BUT the part where she shows how plants that we eat today were non existent in the paleolithic and that were basically "domesticated" and created by us, blew my mind. I did not know that actually. The "Paleosphere" has you thinking that our ancestors were eating nothing but kale, spinach and broccoli...

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Nothing we eat today mirrored what we ate 100,000 years ago. Cows, pigs, chicken, lettuce and broccoli didn't exist. They're all domesticated - plants and animals. We were probably eating fruits, roots and squirrels. It's either real food or it isn't. A lot of modern food that is a product of selective breeding is superior - the larger, more attractive, heartier fruits are higher in antioxidants, which are natural pesticides that keep predators away and illicit a hormetic effect on us. Selective breeding actually produces superior foods in many cases. It's the genetic modification that has me worried. Crossbreeding peppers, saving the tomato seeds from the best crops each year to produce a superior product overtime...that's all great stuff to me.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

rockrunner Guest
    I didn't see hardly any de-bunking in that video, she doesn't understand some of the basic Paleo idea's and is even promoting them thinking she is de-bunking them and is just off base on the other stuff...pretty poor overall really. I guess she does de-bunk that we are carnivores...as if we thought otherwise.
    Last edited by rockrunner; 06-24-2013 at 09:26 AM.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I watched this a few months ago, and found the whole thing, for whatever organization it has, to be more an endorsement of paleo than a debunking at all. I studied biology in school, so it wasn't news to me that we have selectively bred our food (I do it on my own farm) or that domesticated animals didn't exist. The closest one can actually get to "true paleo" would be eating wild game, foraging for berries or nuts, eating some very fibrous plants like the wild lettuce that grows in my neck of the woods. (I have done this, just to see what its like. It's bitter, but edible)

In order for someone to debunk paleo, TRULY debunk it, they would have to do a big cohort study, putting a whole lot of people in constant view and forcing compliance. This costs a lot of money....then have each of them take up one of about 4 diets: SAD, Mediterranean, Low-fat conventional wisdom, and then paleo/primal with intermittent fasting. THEN do markers of every blood lipid, BP, muscle mass, and subjective mood/vitality, before and after for about 6 months.

Ain't no one doing that one Plus, I think it would be pretty clear which would win.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I don't really care who ate what back then, I just know I feel better when sandwiches and pasta aren't the focus of my diet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast