Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soaps! page

Traveller is offline Senior Member

Soaps!

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

A lot of people say ''don't use any soap or any product on your body!''

But then there are people who say ''I used this amazing all-natural ingredient soap on my face/skin/body, and my blemishes/acne/complexion has cleared right up!''

It really frustrates me, because how do I know which course of action to take? And after how long should I make a decision about whether it works or not?

I've been debating whether or not to start using a specific soap for my face (gasp!). I did some research, and two reasonably common ones used are African Black Soap, and Turmeric Soap. They're both fairly cheap on Amazon, but I don't know which to get, or even if I should get them.

If anyone has any experience with either of these soaps, or any other soap, I'd really appreciate your input!

Thanks!

Traveller.

P.S there's also a Turmeric Acne Cream. Anyone know anything about that?

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    My take on whenever I hear two different sides to something is to try it out for myself. I like to use natural based ingredient soaps because it relaxes me and I like the mild after smell. I've read and heard about going soapless and poo-less but I really prefer a natural mild soap. I don't really get body odor. I just enjoy the feeling of natural soaps.

I'm sure there are some herbal extracts based creams/mixtures that ancestors used to clean the skin etc. Especially for this day and age there may be some out there that our skin could really benefit from because of all the toxins in our environment.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i use handmade soap. i don't think it's a miracle cure-all, i just don't feel clean without suds and handmade is natural and doesn't make my skin crack and bleed
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    I use handmade natural soap, I am lucky, I can get lovely handmade soap with essential oils from the farmers market - I usually get bog myrtle soap. But when my mother visits she always brings me some of her soap that she makes herself, just oil plus garden herbs plus lye. At the moment I am using her seaweed and olive oil soap. It's a bit greasy where the lye has not entirely reacted (or she didnt use enough?) but its lovely. The best she ever did was unfragranced made with tallow that she rendered herself.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i stopped using facial cleansers about a year ago and stopped needing moisturizer. i steam my face a few times per week and oil cleanse then. my face looks great.

i use dr. bonner's on my lady bits, but don't use soap on the rest of me.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I use soap, but not shampoo. My wife is allergic to most soaps and shampoos, so what we have in the house is always very natural, or European, as they ban pretty much everything she's allergic to.

However, I try not to overdo it with the hot water or the soap, as the natural oils your skin puts out are there for a reason. You want to be clean, but you don't want to wash away all the protective oil your skin produces. Your skin will dry and crack, or over-compensate and start putting out tons of oil to make up for the lack of it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I use Ivory. Hippie/natural/etc. soaps leave me feeling like I haven't bathed. More conventional soaps either give me a rash or make my skin feel tight and dry. I'm sure someone has info on Ivory that makes it the worst soap on the planet, but it works for me.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i stopped using facial cleansers about a year ago and stopped needing moisturizer. i steam my face a few times per week and oil cleanse then. my face looks great.

i use dr. bonner's on my lady bits, but don't use soap on the rest of me.
    +1 For Dr. Bronner's, it's great stuff. I wish I had started using it sooner, I feel like I didn't know what clean was before I started using it. My skin seems healthier than it's ever been since I started using it too.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    what the hell, no shampoo? I have very oily skin, which gives me very oily hair, and I can't imagine NOT shampooing my hair....I understand you don't want to wash away oils and all that, but what about those areas of the body that get really funky!!! No soap?!?!?!? Help me understand, this is the first time I've seen a discussion about this......

of course, way back in the day, when soap type products weren't around, what did people do??????

Hmmmmm..............
    Last edited by Barnyard; 06-27-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    what the hell, no shampoo? I have very oily skin, which gives me very oily hair, and I can't imagine NOT shampooing my hair....I understand you don't want to wash away oils and all that, but what about those areas of the body that get really funky!!! No soap?!?!?!? Help me understand, this is the first time I've seen a discussion about this......

of course, way back in the day, when soap type products weren't around, what did people do??????

Hmmmmm..............
    Modern body care bars, lotions, potions, creams, scrubs, washes, sprays, yaddah yaddah - these are to real body care what the CW SAD is to food. I have sensitive skin and always have - most of it gives me burning skin and rashes, hence I had to turn to European, health food store, and cottage industry small-batch stuff twenty years ago. Most of it is (the drug store, supermarket, Bath and Body Works, Avon, etc, types) junk, and actually ages, dries out, strips, blocks pores, inflames, and poisons your skin. From the chemical-industrial stuff, I went to health food store grade stuff, and from there am now going even more minimalist as I get even more Primal because my skin gets healthier as the rest of me does, and I find that all I really need is baking soda, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, simple powder, and the occasional use of a nice clean bar of simple soap.

As to soap, that is an as-needed thing. I can get along without it much longer than my brother, who is an industrial machinist and the industrial oils won't come off without help, so if you really need and or like it, hey.

As to shampoo, I used to have incredibly greasy skin and hair (twice a day hair wash and lunchtime additional face wash, anyone?), like you, so I do understand, and I am here to tell you that you are causing at least 50% of the problem yourself by using detergents. I have been there... Yes, naturally oily skin absolutely does exist, so that is not the issue. The issue is getting oily skin to not overproduce even more, or even to dial back. It can be done - I did it, although the process is decently slow.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast