Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Soaps! page 6

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    George's Aloe Vera. Vitamin Shoppe or any health food store. George's "Always Active" Aloe, Aloe Vera Gel, Aloe Vera Liquid,
    Thanks. I'll try to find it locally first, but if I can't, I'll just break down and order some.

Okay, so, a little update. I've switched to (sometimes diluted, sometimes not) baking soda for soap and shampoo and (diluted) vinegar for conditioner. I also pour the diluted vinegar over my skin--I figure it could use conditioning too, since it feels a bit dry after the baking soda.

I've also stopped using toothpaste--now it's just a wet toothbrush with a drop of peppermint extract since I'm so used to tasting mint when brushing my teeth. I'm thinking of doing peroxide and baking soda once per week or so, but the first time I ended up spitting blood, so maybe not a good idea? But other than that, it seems to work just as well as using toothpaste--my teeth feel smooth and clean all day and without that thick toothpaste flavor.

As for the shower ... so far, I feel about the same when getting out as I did when using soap, shampoo, and conditioner, and my hair has felt pretty clean and was no less managable than before, so that's mostly a win as well. Except that today, my hair seems oily and bleh. Did I maybe not use enough baking soda and vinegar last night, or is it my hair adjusting to the change? I've heard people say that it takes a week to adjust, but I figured if that was the case, this would have started sooner. I used the baking soda/vinegar combo for the first time on Friday, and it's now Monday--I shower once a day, in the evening.

Someone recommended aloe as shaving gel, since I don't want oil gunking up the razor. I have not been able to find aloe locally yet, so I tried using some stuff I have that's for treating sunburns that I think is mostly aloe, but with stuff like rubbing alchohol added. That worked pretty well, so I think the aloe idea might be a win too.
    Last edited by Cyborcat; 07-15-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

LittleHobbit is offline Junior Member
    Handmade sheep milk soap. nice stuff and I like the smell. might be odd to some of the girly girls I work with, but I can go all day without any perfume even if I heavily sweat and have been asked how I do it - smelling kinda fine all hot day long while they need perfumes and deodorants to cover bad smell....
    they were quite suprised.

I dont like heavy perfumed stuff, it hurts the nose....

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Hi Cyborcat,

When people switch to BS and vinegar, they almost always experience a 'transitioning period'. This can last from about a week to three weeks, but the latter is quite rare. Your hair will probably feel icky for about a week before your hair adjusts to it.

LittleHobbit: I've heard good things about that soap. Might have to have a look.
    I agree with you about the heavy perfumes. They really irritate my nose, and give me a headache.

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    Shaving using oil does gunk up the razor a little bit, but it isn't a big deal. I just shave a few swipes then stick it under running water and it is clean!

I have long, thick, dyed hair -- about two and a half inches below my collar bone. Baking soda and vinegar made my hair oily at the roots and dry at the ends. I tried everything for months such as using only vinegar, using less baking soda, only putting baking soda in the roots and only putting vinegar on the ends, moisturizing with coconut oil... At that point, I concluded I am just one of those people in doesn't work for! By doing a bit of searching, I found I am not alone and many people find baking soda to be damaging to their hair. I tried all sorts of things including fruit rinses but nothing was satisfactory.

Here is what does work for me.

I use dry shampoo for between washes. It's a mixture of potato starch, baking soda, bentonite clay, kaolin clay, cocoa powder (for color), and some drops of citrus essential oils. My Mom commented my hair would probably turn gross in the rain, but it doesn't. The batch I made has lasted me two months and I didn't write down the proportions unfortunately. I do remember there was a lot more potato starch and baking soda than clay. I use a big fluffy blush application brush to apply it to the roots of my hair. I let it sit then brush it out and viola -- no more oily roots.

For moisturizer I use what I use on my body which is homemade whipped shea butter (4/5 cup African shea to 1/5 cup oil of choice and essential oils). I put a teaspoon or so in my hands, rub them together until it is all liquidy, then massage into the ends of my hair. By massage I do not mean just rub it in. I mean I massage my ends for a few minutes. I do this at night because it appears oily right after doing it, but when I wake up, it is all soaked in.

I use coconut oil on the ends as a conditioner when it is dry. I dilute half a teaspoon in a big cup of warm water. I made the huge mistake when I first started off by just melting about a quarter of a cup and dumping it on my ends. Nothing, except good old chemical-laden shampoo, got it out.

Finally, you need to clarify your hair before going "no-poo" and occasionally thereafter to remove buildup. When using traditional hair products, the buildup will be from silicones. After going no-poo, I sometimes get a bit of a build up from the shea. Once a month I put 1/2 cup lemon juice in 2 cups water. I flip my head and dip my hair into the cup, then pour it over my hair, let it sit (although I don't know how necessary letting it sit is) for 15 minutes then rinse.

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    Also, for supplies such as aloe vera, shea butter, witch hazel without alcohol, essential oils... Online suppliers for DIY skin are are great. I buy aloe vera powder and reconstitute it in order to save on shipping.

Www.bulkactives.com
    Www.essentialwholesale.com
    Www.personalformulator.com

I'm a failure--I broke down and used shampoo =P

At the end of my shower last night, I thought my hair felt heavy and greasy, but it was still wet, so I was hoping it was just my imagination, but I ended up having nasty stringy hair during a work day today and that wasn't fun.

Tonight, at end of my shower, I could tell it was that way again, so I said "screw it" and put a little shampoo in. But no conditioner. Hopefully my hair will be okay tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    When people switch to BS and vinegar, they almost always experience a 'transitioning period'. This can last from about a week to three weeks, but the latter is quite rare. Your hair will probably feel icky for about a week before your hair adjusts to it.
    Understood, and I kind of saw it coming. I'd love to not use shampoo anymore, but I don't think I can go a week with my hair looking so bad, especially since I have an office job. I plan on moving to another state in a few months and I'll be between jobs for awhile--maybe I'll try again then.

In the mean time, maybe I can alternate or something so I'm at least not using shampoo and conditioner every single day, or maybe I'll use just shampoo, and replace just the conditioner with the vinegar.

At least, I SEEM to be doing well without soap and toothpaste, so the experiment wasn't a total fail--more than anything, I just want my skin to clear up (despite washing daily and improving my diet, I have TERRIBLE acne at times)--the hair would have been a nice bonus, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieM View Post
    Also, for supplies such as aloe vera, shea butter, witch hazel without alcohol, essential oils... Online suppliers for DIY skin are are great. I buy aloe vera powder and reconstitute it in order to save on shipping.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

lark42 is offline Senior Member
    The transition stage can vary so much from person to person. Some go 'cold-turkey' and wear hats, others wean themselves by skipping shampoo days.
    Another option is to switch from conventional, harsh shampoos to non-mainstream, 'natural-type' products which are typically less striping. Then experiment with conditioner only washing.
    I'm water only, and like aloe vera juice for scalp health & balancing ph. It was quite a trial & error process, and I'm still experimenting.
    There's no failure in shampoo

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    "Unfortunately, humans rely less on instincts and more on culture to determine what they eat" - Marcia Pelchat

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    my friend owns and operates this company:

Hippo Soap — Artisan soap, locally made to help change the world

Hippo is artisan soap, locally made from the finest all-natural ingredients. Proceeds support better hygiene for children and economic opportunities for women in communities we partner with around the world.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 07-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Fastcat, could you tell us more about the soap? What's it made of, etc. I couldn't find much information on the website.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast