Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Soaps! page 5

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Hi paleodog,

Yup, until about 3 weeks ago I didn't use any soap (except for washing my hands) at all. For both face and body it was just water, and I had no complaints. For about 7 months all was great, but then I started breaking out. I didn't want to use any soaps or cleansers on my face because it felt un-primal (made-up word alert!).
    I get your point about how people in the wild keep clear skin, and in the paleolithic times, but I think we also have to take into account our daily environment. All the chemicals that we're exposed to almost every day, our ancestors didn't have anything like that. Dishwashing soap, laundry detergents, hand soap, etc. Perhaps for some people, daily contact with these things is just to much for our skin to handle by itself, and needs some help from natural soaps and remedies.

Just, you know, a theory.

Thanks for posting!
    I meant to chime in on this, but got busy with the kiddos...

A long time ago, I used to live in a big city, and I have sensitive skin, and it was suggested to me that I even wear foundation makeup as a barrier on my skin. It worked/helped. So, IMHO, yeah, there are situations that require some "product".

Back then, I knew nothing of healthy living/natural body care, so there was a LOT I could have done besides wear makeup, which I did eventually learn (and am still learning), but still.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    For fun I thought I'd try some of that Black African soap. The texture/moisturizing is nice, but I'm not fond of the smell. It vaguely reminds me of those cakes they put in public restroom urinals... not exactly but to me the scent is similar.

On the on the hand I really like the smell of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint/Hemp soap. Mmm good.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i live in an old city, so totally get the environmental toxins concern.

however, with my improved diet and sleep, my skin and hair are MUCH healthier. good hydration is also key.

btw, i haven't used shampoo in nearly a year, but do use an all-natural conditioner, and deep-condition with coconut oil a few times per week.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    I found a wonderful soap in the market in a small town I passed by a while ago. It's just ash and animal fat in that thing, works like a charm. It's a shame I haven't been able to find it where I live, tho :P

Lil Beastie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    But for those who don't use any store-bought products ... what do you use instead of shaving cream/gel? I've heard of using things like butter or olive oil, but doesn't it gunk up the razor?
    I use aloe vera gel. Also use it as a shampoo sometimes for my hair since I shed all over the place. This stops it for upwards of three days before I start shedding again.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Beastie View Post
    I use aloe vera gel. Also use it as a shampoo sometimes for my hair since I shed all over the place. This stops it for upwards of three days before I start shedding again.
    Interesting, another thing to try/keep in mind, thanks. I'd love it if I could not shed so much--my hair ends up all over the place ^.^;;

Maybe a dumb question, but where can you get straight-up aloe vera? I tried to find some at the drug store, and the closest I could find is the stuff for treating sunburns that has rubbing alchohol in it. Might be okay for shaving, but I don't think I'd wanna put it in my hair (especially since I dye) =P

Lil Beastie is offline Junior Member
    I find mine at a local Family Dollar. Here lately they've been having buy-2-get-$1-off so I stock up.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I guess I just need to keep looking. It's funny how sometimes you can find stuff in dollar stores that more specialized stores should carry but don't.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    Interesting, another thing to try/keep in mind, thanks. I'd love it if I could not shed so much--my hair ends up all over the place ^.^;;

Maybe a dumb question, but where can you get straight-up aloe vera? I tried to find some at the drug store, and the closest I could find is the stuff for treating sunburns that has rubbing alchohol in it. Might be okay for shaving, but I don't think I'd wanna put it in my hair (especially since I dye) =P
    George's Aloe Vera. Vitamin Shoppe or any health food store. George's "Always Active" Aloe, Aloe Vera Gel, Aloe Vera Liquid,
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

nikitakolata is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    I found a wonderful soap in the market in a small town I passed by a while ago. It's just ash and animal fat in that thing, works like a charm. It's a shame I haven't been able to find it where I live, tho :P
    For something like that there is always etsy:

Moisturizing Soap Unscented by handmadeortiz on Etsy

I actually make soap with lard and lye, but it takes me so long to render enough fat from bacon that I haven't sold any of it on etsy yet. Someday though...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast