Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Soaps! page 4

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I use Dr. Bronners and baking soda for washing and shampooing. It works really well for me, and that's all I've been using for two years. In the past 8 months, due to being busy and wanting my natural oils to balance out, I've gotten down to showering only once a week. It's fascinating, because at first (for about two months) my hair was really oily. Now, It's oily maybe the day after I shower, but after that, its perfect: not too oily, and not too dry. I actually once went two weeks without showering, and my hair stayed looking fantastic. My body odor, also, did not increase during that time, correlating with what I ate or how stressed I was, rather than how recently I showered. My husband just uses Dr. Bronners for soap, and only rinses his hair, which works well for him.

I've never really had an acne problem, but Knifegill (my husband) had some horrible acne. Changing his soaps didn't really seem to affect his acne, but changing his diet did (cutting out the dairy and sugars). Also, adding in dandelion tea really helped tighten up his skin and reduce acne. He makes the tea out of the dandelion roots, which work better than tea from the leaves (though the leaves work pretty well, and might taste better to you...).

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Aldergirl-I've read nothing but good things about dr bronners, seems like an awesome soap. Unfortunately it's harder to get here in New Zealand, and a lot more expensive. Still, I'd like to try it.
    You only shower once a week? Me too! When my family figured that out they were all really grossed out, but when I asked them if I smelt, they had to admit that no, I don't smell. And believe me, they're not the sort of people that would lie to spare my feelings. Of course, now I'm washing my face daily.
    Right now I'm drinking milk thistle tea, I'll have a look into the dandelion, thanks!

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Thanks for that, Hobbit.

Have you noticed any healing effects from dr bronners? Relief from acne, psorasis, dry skin, etc?
    I do have less acne now but I attribute that more to diet, since I actually wash my face less.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    So, I read through this topic--pretty interesting. I'm considering switching to baking soda just to see what happens (I tend to have oily skin and hair ;/)

But for those who don't use any store-bought products ... what do you use instead of shaving cream/gel? I've heard of using things like butter or olive oil, but doesn't it gunk up the razor?

Hi Cyborcat,

glad you've found this thread useful!
    I've heard of a lot of people using coconut oil for shaving, and also jojoba oil.
    There's also a lot of people who use natural soaps, such as dr bronners.

Hey there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I've heard of a lot of people using coconut oil for shaving, and also jojoba oil.
    Thanks. I've heard of using various kinds of oil, but I'm wondering how big a pain it is to clean the razor afterwards.
    There's also a lot of people who use natural soaps, such as dr bronners.
    Thanks again. I'll keep that in mind, but would rather keep it simple and just try something that's not soap rather than to seek out hard-to-find and/or expensive natural soap.

Can't help with the razor question, sorry, no personal experience there. Perhaps try it with a disposable razor, just in case it does gunk it up. I would imagine rinsing it in hot water would do the trick, but I haven't tried it.

Couldn't hurt to try. The longer I think about it, the more I like the idea of not having to buy all these silly products anymore. Tho, from what others have said, my long hair might mean that I'll have to keep using shampoo or at least conditioner, but we'll see.

Let us know how it works out!

Also, apple cider vinegar is the best hair conditioner I've ever used. Seriously. And my hair goes down to about mid-back.
    Just thought I'd let you know.

Okay, I'm slightly ecstatic right now.

Why? Because someone told me my skin looks -quote- 'lovely'. They actually said ''your face looks lovely, your skin has really cleared up.''

Tomorrow it'll have been a week since I started using the black soap, I'll do a full update then.

In the mean time, I'll just dance around with a stupid grin on my face.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast