Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Soaps! page 3

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    NorthernMonkeyGirl, thanks for chiming in. Yes, I might try gently washing my face with it. Can't find it in my health shops, however. Great. I hate international shipping.

Now, because of my sometimes dry skin, to find a moisturiser...

Well, I've purchased a bar of Dr. Bronners unscented soap, and a bar of african black soap. If this doesn't work, I think I'll just give up, and get used to going around looking like I lost a battle with swarm of bees.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Bronners or pure Castile soap. also been two months without shampoo. What a revelation. It's great- you can shower more often without hair drying out.

Thanks for that, Hobbit.

Have you noticed any healing effects from dr bronners? Relief from acne, psorasis, dry skin, etc?

jenniferShumaker is offline Junior Member
    I have heard African Black Soap is a blend of Cocoa and Palm Oil.It is very helpful in fighting Fights eczema.

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Honey is my favourite face wash. Just wet your face and massage a dime sized amount of honey into it. Make sure to rinse well afterwards or you'll find sticky spots later - lol! It really helps to lessen blemishes and I find I don't need moisturizer anymore either.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Almost all soaps are too drying for me. I tried not using them for a while, but it's honestly a hard habit to break! I don't use any soap on my face.

This is the shampoo bar I use from time to time, but mostly I use this spray. Unless I swim in chlorinated water, I don't really need to "wash" my hair, I just get it wet, but it's very short so I can get away with a lot. I can use coconut oil or any other "hair oil" kind of thing after a shampoo since my hair is very short. It never worked well for me when it was long. I think it's because the water at my apartment is too hard.

I have peppermint castille soap, but it's too minty to use in some areas of the body O.o
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks guys, your posts are all appreciated!

I tried using honey for a while, Mamame, but for some reason it didn't moisturize very well for me.

I found a small bottle of jojoba oil in a whole foods store yesterday, and I used it last night. It sunk in pretty well, unlike the macadamia oil. I've read that for some people jojoba causes breakouts. I seriously, seriously hope I'm not one of them.

Does anyone else use jojoba oil?

paleodog is offline Member
    From all these replies it is clear that everyone is different. I do not use soap but use shampoo which I am considering trying to go without as well. Since I stopped using soap (I wash my hands throughout the day with warm water) I have not caught a cold or that dreaded flu that was going around a few months ago. Also, it seems that my skin is perhaps a little softer, etc. However, everyone is unique and must try things for themselves with no pre-dispositions. I use a Lufa (sp?) for a little exfoliation and that's all.

"In the wild" we did not have soap or many of the other things that it seems we just can't live without. I wonder how we survived in Paleolithic times to now.

Hi paleodog,

Yup, until about 3 weeks ago I didn't use any soap (except for washing my hands) at all. For both face and body it was just water, and I had no complaints. For about 7 months all was great, but then I started breaking out. I didn't want to use any soaps or cleansers on my face because it felt un-primal (made-up word alert!).
    I get your point about how people in the wild keep clear skin, and in the paleolithic times, but I think we also have to take into account our daily environment. All the chemicals that we're exposed to almost every day, our ancestors didn't have anything like that. Dishwashing soap, laundry detergents, hand soap, etc. Perhaps for some people, daily contact with these things is just to much for our skin to handle by itself, and needs some help from natural soaps and remedies.

Just, you know, a theory.

Thanks for posting!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast