Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soaps! page 2

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Honestly, I use Ivory. Hippie/natural/etc. soaps leave me feeling like I haven't bathed. More conventional soaps either give me a rash or make my skin feel tight and dry. I'm sure someone has info on Ivory that makes it the worst soap on the planet, but it works for me.
    Ditto. I like ivory. Right now I use shampoo but I'm seriously considering trying to go without.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Modern body care bars, lotions, potions, creams, scrubs, washes, sprays, yaddah yaddah - these are to real body care what the CW SAD is to food. I have sensitive skin and always have - most of it gives me burning skin and rashes, hence I had to turn to European, health food store, and cottage industry small-batch stuff twenty years ago. Most of it is (the drug store, supermarket, Bath and Body Works, Avon, etc, types) junk, and actually ages, dries out, strips, blocks pores, inflames, and poisons your skin. From the chemical-industrial stuff, I went to health food store grade stuff, and from there am now going even more minimalist as I get even more Primal because my skin gets healthier as the rest of me does, and I find that all I really need is baking soda, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, simple powder, and the occasional use of a nice clean bar of simple soap.

As to soap, that is an as-needed thing. I can get along without it much longer than my brother, who is an industrial machinist and the industrial oils won't come off without help, so if you really need and or like it, hey.

As to shampoo, I used to have incredibly greasy skin and hair (twice a day hair wash and lunchtime additional face wash, anyone?), like you, so I do understand, and I am here to tell you that you are causing at least 50% of the problem yourself by using detergents. I have been there... Yes, naturally oily skin absolutely does exist, so that is not the issue. The issue is getting oily skin to not overproduce even more, or even to dial back. It can be done - I did it, although the process is decently slow.
    Thanks for the reply....but I don't and never have had any of the issues you are talking about....I have acne, and some rosacea, which has vastly improved since I went primal....but I still have greasy hair if I don't wash it once a day! And I wouldn't even know where to begin with baking soda, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, simple powder, and the occasional use of a nice clean bar of simple soap (ok I know how to use the soap, but the other items for cleaning my body?). I'm still confused...
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey barnyard!

The coconut oil is used in place of body lotion to moisturize skin.
    The powder gets dusted under the boobies and anywhere I tend to sweat.
    The baking soda goes into my palm and then gets rubbed everywhere on my wet head, as it replaces shampoo completely. Some folks make a wet paste out of it first, but I don't.
    The apple cider vinegar gets dumped on my noggin from a squirt bottle after the head wash with the baking soda, and it replaces conditioner, which you probably do not use anyway, but it totally clears my dandruff.

I do still use a natural deo, just for full disclosure, and have a perfume tray as well, which gets so little use that some of my bottles are now no longer sold by L'Occitane (my favorite perfumer).

There are a number of threads here on the MDA that deal specifically with natural stuff, acv and baking soda shampoo, and all that. Do a search - the commentary will floor you. That is how I came to do baking soda for shampoo - I am now nearing the 1 year mark for being "no-poo", which is what shampoo-less gets called, and I honestly couldn't be happier with the results.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I use this one from Naturoli (I also use their soap nuts for laundry).

https://store.naturoli.com/product.p...cat=279&page=1

I also use Dr. Bronners for my face and various natural soaps from my grocery co-op.

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hey barnyard!

The coconut oil is used in place of body lotion to moisturize skin.
    The powder gets dusted under the boobies and anywhere I tend to sweat.
    The baking soda goes into my palm and then gets rubbed everywhere on my wet head, as it replaces shampoo completely. Some folks make a wet paste out of it first, but I don't.
    The apple cider vinegar gets dumped on my noggin from a squirt bottle after the head wash with the baking soda, and it replaces conditioner, which you probably do not use anyway, but it totally clears my dandruff.

I do still use a natural deo, just for full disclosure, and have a perfume tray as well, which gets so little use that some of my bottles are now no longer sold by L'Occitane (my favorite perfumer).

There are a number of threads here on the MDA that deal specifically with natural stuff, acv and baking soda shampoo, and all that. Do a search - the commentary will floor you. That is how I came to do baking soda for shampoo - I am now nearing the 1 year mark for being "no-poo", which is what shampoo-less gets called, and I honestly couldn't be happier with the results.
    Crabbcakes, thanks for the education!!! I will do that search and check it out.....still laughing at "no-poo".......
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Tandy is offline Member
    http://ewg.org

On the skin deep portion on this site you can see toxicity ratings of beauty products. I use kiss my face olive oil soap, Huron naturals for hair, desert essence on my face. Love all of it. And the toxicity is very low. That has been a great resource. So many natural items are toxic.
    "I came to live out loud!" -Emile Zola

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your replies!

Why am I asking about soaps? I have sometimes oily, and sometimes dry, acne prone skin. With the right diet (primal!) it's slowly going away; but I'd love a soap that actually helped the process. People warn against using 'harsh soaps' but how are you supposed to tell harsh from gentle? Everyone advertises their soaps as 'gentle', and 'mild', and 'soothing'.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your replies!

Why am I asking about soaps? I have sometimes oily, and sometimes dry, acne prone skin. With the right diet (primal!) it's slowly going away; but I'd love a soap that actually helped the process. People warn against using 'harsh soaps' but how are you supposed to tell harsh from gentle? Everyone advertises their soaps as 'gentle', and 'mild', and 'soothing'.
    In the end, every soap - mass-market, swanky luxury brand, or hippie Eco-conscious brand, has the potential to be harsh to one's skin. The Ivory stuff that some deal well with makes my face really unhappy, for ex. Even small-batch, cottage industry stuff could potentially burn your skin if the lye in the soap isn't properly cured/added/hardened. Personally, I have been a fan of Marseille soap (savon de Marseille) ever since I met it in Europe as an 18yo - Olive oil (nowadays sometimes palm oil instead), sea water, lye/soda ash, a long hardening time, and that is it, unless real herbal extracts are added for scent. No triclosan, no "moisturizers", no perfumes, no artificial colors, no detergents.

Soapmaking is fascinating. For example, I already know that my skin prefers soaps with an all-vegetable oil base to those made with tallow ("sodium tallowate" in the ingredients list); each different oil or fat used produces a soap that has a distinct "feel". And that I like my soap NOT to be superfatted, which means that either the glycerin that all soap making releases is left in, or that extra oils were added at the very end (like jojoba), or that a wee bit less lye than would actually be needed to turn all the oil into soap is used which results in some oil remaining in the soap - I prefer to moisturize separately as needed, but I have always used superfatted soaps on my kids. And that I really, really love a bar in the hand as opposed to liquid.

I suggest you read a library book, perhaps from the children's section (no insult intended here - I start many researches personally this way, then I move up), on soap making. It will demystify a lot. And once you know a bit about soapmaking, all those terms on the wrapper will be more understandable - or recognized as useless hype. But in the meantime, start reading labels and chasing down definitions - as in food, the fewer ingredients, the better, and no artificial anything, simply because artificial ingredients just do not need to be there.

Also - there ARE ways to wash facial skin other than soap. Natural pastes and washes using herbs, honey, milk, etc are an entire universe unto themselves! Have you ever tried using soft pastes made from kaolin clay, almonds, and lavender/rose? I love that combo, and it really, really works on me - you will use soap much less. I have read more than once, from varied sources, that you should not put on your skin anything you would not be willing to eat, and I am coming to believe it is almost always true. I love me some soap, definitely, but my mixed-up skin does much better as I tone down the soap use (and pay attention to Primal!). I have oily + sensitive skin, prone to acne - ugly combo.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Sharon is offline Member
    I make my own soap. Dead easy. And fun. But i only use it to wash my hands or the armpits if they need it but hardly ever on my face. Oil cleansing is great and steaming with herbs. Also using floral waters like plain rose or lavender water.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've used african black soap and it was lovely.
    I'm working my way through a home made batch now (lard-based, very softening, probably superfatted).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast