Thread: What to eat? page

Seashel087 is offline Member

What to eat?

Shop Now
    Perhaps someone can help me out! So I've tried paleo before, and I definately noticed improvements in how I looked and felt and my bloodwork taken at the time seems to indicate that I wasn't going to drop dead eating that way.
    Total cholesterol: 172
    HDL:92
    LDL:70
    Trig: <50
    Fasting glucose:70
    Anyways regardless of the amazing results, I gave paleo up for awhile and tried other diet plans. Well after trying different diets its apparent that I feel my best when eating paleo. The problem I had with paleo though, the reason I didn't stick with it is because I had a hard time figuring out what to eat each day. It just seems like its hard to get enough calories (at least 1200) without grains. I mean veggies are great, but they just don't have a lot of calories. So I was wondering to those who are trying to lose weight (I'd like to lose 5 pounds) what do you guys eat in a typical day? And do you tend to eat the same things everyday? Thanks!

runnermuddergirl is offline Junior Member
    Hi seashel! It's really not too hard to get enough calories when you start adding more fat to your diet and I've found that eating plenty of fat is really key to keeping blood sugar levels stable and have satiety throughout the day. As far as what I eat each day (I try to stick to 1200 to 1300) I have the same basic format for what I eat but mix up the meats and veggies to get a wide variety of nutrients. Breakfast I eat one egg, a couple ounces of sorta lean turkey with peppers broccoli, onion, or whatever I have to throw in there. Then I put a bunch of guac on top like 3 tablespoons. That holds me til lunch when I have a serving of meat with lettuce, nuts, goat cheese, then olive oil dressing and some more veggies if I'm hungry. More nuts for a snack then something similar to lunch for dinner. With that I have no problem getting to 1200 cals but I'm never starving either. Just eat plenty of fat! Hope this helps!

tibofox is offline Junior Member
    Put butter in the veggies

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,

Don't count calories, go by how you feel. If paleo makes you feel good, stick to it. If you want to feel more full, add more healthy fat and proteins.

If you have 5lbs to lose (a very small figure ...), you have to work out and recover wisely, sleep plenty and cycle through macros (low carb high fat on slow pace days, high carb low fat on intense work out days and always keep proteins adequate). You can of course do something a bit more extreme: don't eat for 2 days. You will lose a lot of water. You can try intermittent fasting (one meal a day only) and work out fasted. As long as you eat nutritious foods, you will not lose muscle mass, may increase it and lose the extra stubborn fat. It is a long term plan, not a short term trick. I am on one meal a day for various reasons but can definitely see the side-effects (reduced stubborn fat, better stable energy and insulin sensitivity).

One thing you can look into: optimize your gut health by adding 20 to 30g / day of resistant starch ... you;d be surprised
    Have a look at discussions at freetheanimal.com ...

Seashel087 is offline Member
    It's funny how its ok to add more liberal amounts of fat to the diet like coconut oil, avocados, and butter. This runs so contrary to conventional wisdom. Sure I'll try that though. The veggies would probably taste better with more seasoning too.

For breakfast I used to typically have 3 hardboiled eggs, blueberries and coffee with cream. I really enjoyed this breakfast (though sometimes I would mix it up and make an omelet or change the fruit), but then I became worried that it wasn't good to eat that many eggs everyday, because of their high cholesterol content. And then of course everytime I would eat this someone in my family would suddenly become a nutrition expert and claim how unhealthy it was for me to eat so many eggs.

Ha Ha thanks for the encouragement of how 5 pounds is a very small amount! It doesn't seem like a lot but it really makes a difference in how my clothes fit and its frusturating. For anybody who says it took time to put weight on so it will take time to get it off. Ha Ha that is not true. It takes no time at all to put weight on, but time to take it off lol.

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Wheat grass.

Only. Three times a day.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Like James said, Go by feel, if you are full then who cares? unless you are trying to gain weight then you need to make more an effort but my day looks like this:

Morning: Eggs, breakfast meat, spinach

Lunch: Salad with meat and avocado and olive oil.

Snack: Protein shake

Dinner: Meat, veggies, nuts and chocolate for dessert

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seashel087 View Post
    It's funny how its ok to add more liberal amounts of fat to the diet like coconut oil, avocados, and butter. This runs so contrary to conventional wisdom. Sure I'll try that though. The veggies would probably taste better with more seasoning too.

For breakfast I used to typically have 3 hardboiled eggs, blueberries and coffee with cream. I really enjoyed this breakfast (though sometimes I would mix it up and make an omelet or change the fruit), but then I became worried that it wasn't good to eat that many eggs everyday, because of their high cholesterol content. And then of course everytime I would eat this someone in my family would suddenly become a nutrition expert and claim how unhealthy it was for me to eat so many eggs.

Ha Ha thanks for the encouragement of how 5 pounds is a very small amount! It doesn't seem like a lot but it really makes a difference in how my clothes fit and its frusturating. For anybody who says it took time to put weight on so it will take time to get it off. Ha Ha that is not true. It takes no time at all to put weight on, but time to take it off lol.
    Your HDL is very high ( good), everything else is low ( good).
    In fact your numbers are fantastic - even CW doctor's would say that.

It makes no sense to worry about egg consumption cholesterol when eating them helped you get these fantastic numbers including the super high HDL - I dont understand your worry about eating eggs. If I got those numbers I'd happily eat at least six a day ( which I do at the moment).

Eating eggs, butter, oil in salad, meat with fat, full fat cheeses, nuts, veg I have no problem consuming enough (2500 cal) to maintain weight (or 3000+ if i want to gain weight). I dont see how its hard to eat 1200 cal unless you have no appetite (6 eggs is about half way there, 60g of butter is the other half - top off with a little cheese and you have a 1200+ cal meal there alone - not that you have to eat this in one meal)

Secondly you want to loose some weight - well then you need to consume less calories to do that ( if your activity level stays the same - right?) - instead you want to eat more cals but loose weight - conflicting specifications ( choose only one at a time).

Basically adding more fats will mean you will most likely consume less total calories over the whole day ( as your appetite will probably reduce by eating the fats). A lot of the weight loss comes from this reduced appetite and less total calories eaten ( not to mention less insulin, causing less fat storage etc etc - not just calories-in-calories-out).

Sounds like your problem of sticking to the eating plan is that your were avoiding fat and cholesterol foods - though I could have misunderstood the post.

Eat some fats and then sticking to the eating plan is easier ( don't have to go overboard on adding fats). Eat chicken with skin on, meat with fat attached, cooked in butter, a little butter on veg, a little Olive oil on salad etc etc and you're good.

Your total cholesterol may go up but even if it went up by say 50 then you still are going well as long as the ratios are good IMO.

Lastly if you read Mark's take on white rice ( if you want grain calories) - he doesn't hold it up as really bad ( as it has very low toxin levels) as he does for wheat products and other grains ( in fact you'll see many Paleo experts recommend white rice if carb calories are required - but they seem to prefer sweet potatoes etc). From what I read rice is just nutrient deficient ( so not so good), but has plenty of carb if you need carbs for your level of activity ( assuming you dont want to loose weight, dont have issues with rice, can control portions easily etc) - so half a cup of rice a couple times a week could give some variety ( if it doesn't cause noticeable issues)

Good luck.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 06-29-2013 at 07:50 PM.