Thread: How to get the family on board? page

PrimalWolf is offline Junior Member

How to get the family on board?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, my step-dad has arthritis in his fingers and it breaks my heart to see him unable to use his hands properly.

Any tried and tested method for spreading the primal world?

I have tried but my family don't take it seriously and don't believe life without grains is possible. Also, they hate oily fatty foods so their fat content is low (although they are taking a omega three fish oil supplement now .

Peace

JenLiana is offline Member
    I don't know if this will help any, but I will give my two cents. I am finding almost everyone completely against being primal. I actually avoid saying I eat primal because no one gets it. I just tell them I don't eat wheat, grains, or any sugars. It seems to not have as much shock value I guess. Everyone in my family thinks its crazy also NOT to eat grains. My SO was the most resistant and always ALWAYS argued that grains and legumes should be eaten on a daily basis. It wasn't until he SAW the changes in me, that he started to believe. I don't really have much for health issues, and I don't know about you but maybe if you are around them a lot, they will see the changes too and start to wonder. If you are able anyway. I think its probably the best way to spread the primal word, but allowing others to see the changes in yourself.

It's not working on my mom yet though, I hope it does soon. She has severe osteoporosis, bone spicules in her spine, arthritis in her neck/back and constantly suffers from severe pain and nasty migraines. She recently got some quartizone shots in her neck, which is helping her neck a bit, but I really think that if she could try eating how I do for a week, she'd feel better.
    My dad too, was told (by is doc) to eat more fruits ( not specifically berries, just all fruits) less red meat, more fish ( which is good) and more grains....sigh. He is type 1 diabetic and had a small TIA a few weeks ago. I think he could benefit from eating primal as well. Unfortunately, my parents are set in their way. ( you prob didn't need that whole story, but I couldn't help but throw it out there) Because I know how you feel about wishing your loved ones would adapt to your lifestyle.
    Last edited by JenLiana; 06-23-2013 at 04:52 PM.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    It is not easy to get the family "on board", but do not try and push it. Try your best to promote the benefits you are receiving/experiencing. It is a better approach than paternalizing, reprimanding them.

Iwami is offline Junior Member
    let them see the changes in you first. I find, even with family, that when we get excited about something that is working for us someone is always waiting to see you fail and do the whole "told ya so" So be the change you want to see in them and let them come to you.

As for immediate family... offer to cook for them with no indication that you are trying to push your agenda on them. I found my husband pretty receptive of the primal foods I cook quite simply because they are delicious. Thankfully he also wants to see me healthy so he has willing stopped eating grains in the house in order to support me which makes getting him on board easier.

Friends haven't mentioned too much about the changes in me, HOWEVER, they are painfully jealous of the foods I make and eat on a regular basis. Some even joke that they want to come live with me... They have no idea I am "paleo" they just see yummy food. A couple of friends have mentioned that they admire the food I eat and the fact that I have the energy to wake up early (usually 4:30ish)... though they haven't seem to have made the connection of good food = good energy. They might soon though

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    The short answer is that you may never be able to. Here is the long answer.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain - two of my dearest friends have health issues (including some very nasty hormonal stuff, digestion problems, acne, depression, anxiety) which I think it's likely would improve from some dietary changes (just cutting back on vegetable oil, soy and sugar would be a start). Frustratingly they are both a) aware of the primal/paleo diet b) think it's ridiculous, very expensive, impractical, bad for the environment, unhealthy etc etc etc.

I have heard of people converting family members who lived with them by taking over the cooking and primal-ising one meal at a time, telling relatives 'If you want to eat non-primal food, you can - but you have to buy it'. If they don't live with you, I'm not sure how much one can do, apart from be a good role model as already mentioned.

Are there testimonials on here, Everyday Paleo or Robb Wolf which might convince him? I remember Alison of paleononpaleo writing about how her husband wasn't on board for months (years?!), until one day he read a success story on MDA which resonated with him.

Also, you're not alone: Is the paleo diet hard to do? Can you make the change?

PrimalWolf is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the response guys!

It seems like the best thing is to keep doing my own thing and see if they get interested after seeing the benefits in my health.

@Jen I do have a few health issues (allergies, insomnia, general badness etc.) that are on the way out since I adopted primal. Once those clear up the family might show more interest.

@Upupandaway Yeah strategically linking them to relevant articles could be a good plan. Will get on that.

Having seen the primal light it's kind of worrying to look around and see the extent to which reliance on grains has penetrated our society. A year ago I would have been completely oblivious and now I just don't look at food the same way.

Vega is offline Member
    It's frustrating to see a family member suffer, but you have to start with little things. I remember my own introduction to paleo. It was kind of gradual and over time I accepted more and more. My husband has been around as I've been reading various things, and I tell him little bits here and there. He knows about Ancel Keys, and examples from the Primal Blueprint, and other random things I've mentioned as I've learned them. He hasn't gone totally paleo by any means, but he's definitely made many positive changes to his diet and I hear him all the time now telling other people things I've told him.

It helps if what you're telling a person isn't too far from conventional wisdom. Regardless of whether or not a person is still eating grains, they're going to feel better right away if they decrease processed foods in their diet and massively increase fruits and vegetables. The side effect is that increasing vegetables kind of automatically decreases the amount of junk they're eating. You can tell them to use lots of olive oil like the Mediterranean diet and they might actually listen to some of that.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    It's frustrating to see a family member suffer, but you have to start with little things. I remember my own introduction to paleo. It was kind of gradual and over time I accepted more and more. My husband has been around as I've been reading various things, and I tell him little bits here and there. He knows about Ancel Keys, and examples from the Primal Blueprint, and other random things I've mentioned as I've learned them. He hasn't gone totally paleo by any means, but he's definitely made many positive changes to his diet and I hear him all the time now telling other people things I've told him.
    Good point! It was two years from my first reading about primal (on a random blog when I was googling for recipes), to learning about Weston Price, meeting someone who had lost weight through low carb and become really interested in food quality, meeting someone else who had done GAPS and finally trying it myself.