Thread: Still trying to slim down...feeling stuck! page

CarlyS629 is offline Junior Member

Still trying to slim down...feeling stuck!

Primal Fuel
    I've been eating primal consistently since September 2012. I didn't have any severe health issues, but I was still amazed at how good I felt by cutting out grains, beans, etc. I had more consistent energy levels, fewer cravings, and great digestion. I completed two Whole 30s in October 2012 and January 2013 and lost 3-5 lbs each time. I feel like I'm very good at keeping away from grains, beans and processed treats on a daily basis. I indulge on special occasions, but never have an "anything goes" attitude and try to keep things reigned in even when I'm letting loose. Though I feel great, I haven't dropped in size since I started eating paleo/primal. I've stayed around a 6/8, which I know is nothing to be ashamed of but I could definitely still lose some extra fat from my body. I'm 27, 5'5" and 155 lbs.

Three months ago I took up CrossFit and love it. I've gained 10 lbs of muscle and feel very fit. I was hoping consistent exercise would help me slim down, BUT I'm STILL holding on to excess fat on my waistline and thighs. If anything I feel slightly bigger since I've bulked up my muscle mass without shedding much fat.

I'm feeling frustrated! I read through Mark's plan for weight loss in the back of the Primal Blueprint. I'm trying to keep my carb intake under 100g a day, aim for about 70g of protein and the rest of my calories from fat, usually around 100g, with my daily calories around 1600. Still not seeing the results I want.

I'm asking for your help and suggestions!

I generally attend crossfit classes 4 days a week. I usually go on a hike at least once a week and try to get in some walking every day.

As for food, for breakfast I generally have eggs and/or chicken sausage with some veggies; snack is usually almond butter, jerky, or an orange; lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before, which is usually organic meat with lots of veggies, sometimes sweet potatoes. I have a glass of wine a few times a week and treats are usually dark chocolate, coconut chips, fruit or a paleo cookie. I feel like I eat well 90% of the time, with a few days a week where I might have a couple cocktails, a gluten-free treat or a scoop of ice cream. Nothing crazy in my opinion!

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Similar to CiKi's advice. Instead of raising daily carbs, keep em at the same level and do 2 carb refeeds a week. I would also do a calorie refeed once or twice a week, eat at or over your TDEE on these days.

The idea behind this is your still eating LC and still eating under calorie requirements but you've taken the pressure off your metabolism working overtime everyday.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Need more lean proteins. How do you eat 100g fat and 70g protein? Should be at least the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Need more lean proteins. How do you eat 100g fat and 70g protein? Should be at least the other way around.
    Looking back over my Fitness Pal diary, I am actually consistently getting more grams of protein than fat, usually around 100g protein to 75g fat. I have wondered though if I need to swap fattier proteins for leaner ones, but then I feel like I always hear how great fat is for you, especially healthy animal fats.

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    Shortest reply ever for the usually long-winded me:

1) Intermittent fasting
    2) Patience
    3) Very well done overall. Keep that in mind

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    Also, are you measuring yourself, or just going by weight?

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    Also, are you measuring yourself, or just going by weight?
    I've stopped going by weight since I gained weight from muscle mass over the last few months. I generally just judge it by the way my clothes fit.