Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks of PB - 2 lbs up, BF up by 1% page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I've been primal (75-80%) for about 2 weeks. I've been eating dairy on some days - a little milk w/ coffee, yoghurt or cheese, not too much though - and had a little bit of lentils on 2 days. This morning, my scales show that my weight is up by 2 lbs and body fat by 1 - 1.5%, muscle mass by 1%. As for fitness, it's been mostly 1 hour walks and some CW weights and squats. My daily intake interms of calories has been around 1300-1350. I'm 5'0", 115 lbs, 25.5% BF (117.5 lbs, 26.5% this morning). I get about 60-65% of daily intake from fats, with 20-25% protein, 20-25% carbs. I don't know how to interpret the results, what am I doing wrong?

primalcyclist Guest

Maba,

Are you using a scale that includes body fat at home?

From past experience... I have a bad habit of weighing everyday and have seen body fat and body weight jump crazy amounts from day to day on the SAME scale. I have even seen this happen in one day. Honestly, do not put too much trust into these tools as they are highly inaccurate.

What I suggest is waiting several days and reweighing and seeing if anything has changed.

If you def. think you are gaining then look closely at your diet. Are you writing down every nibble? I have discovered through fitday that my little nibbles and bites here and there really add up. For instance, I had some milk in my coffee a little cheese, some bites of dark chocolate while making dinner and then a couple of cherries and sweet potatoe fries from my boyfriends plate. I would do this day in and day out, thinking for the large part I was eating pretty well. BUT in reality I was eating an extra 300-500 calories a day by NIBBLES alone! Yikes! I've also found that a lot of times what I think isn't much food is actually a lot more calories than I thought, esp. since using a food scale to make sure I was eating what I thought.

And another sucky part about being a woman is that losing weight is tough stuff! I had to drop my carbs down to 10% of my macros to get through a plateau. Its all about finding what works best for your body individually though. Hope this helps and best of luck reaching your goals.

Jedi is offline Member

daily scale weight or BF measurements on a bioimpedance scale, mean little. At a very minimum, a 7 day average would be much more meaningful, and as a female, due to hormonal fluctuations, a monthly average is even better

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

About daily vs. longer term weigh-ins:

The only downside to daily or more frequent weigh-ins is in the dieter's head. He or she must understand that that number is only a snapshot in time. It goes up and down, sometimes a LOT in the course of either a day or day to day, especially if there are de-re-hydration effects going on. As long as you know this, daily weigh-ins can give you immediate warnings of something awry. Frankly, although sometimes discouraging I like the mostly positive reinforcement I get. I also weigh in as I go to bed, it's interesting to see that I typically lose 3 pounds overnight, sometimes more.

The downside to infrequent weigh-ins - and as Jedi notes, especially for women - is that you might do the first weigh-in when at a low, the second one a week later at a high, and thus conclude nothing is happening. Now, you might be pretty safe weighing in only once per month, but I would say that takes a special person, psychologically.

Katt is offline Senior Member

I weigh myself once a week. Depending on the time of month, I might show a slight increase, but the general slide is downhill. I did worry that I was eating too many carbs, and still think I am, but I'm still losing weight. Eventually I might have to cut them more drastically when I hit a pleateau.

Keep up the good work!

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Seriously, I have been 'seemingly' going up and down with this 'journey'. I started 40 days ago and really haven't moved much out of my horrible 5 lb plateau that I keep going up and down in, but never below (164 lbs is my lowest and that was at least 2 weeks ago, whereas 169 lbs would be my highest and I still want to lose 20 lbs, give or take a few for muscle).

Lately, however, I see a major leaning out. I even wore a bikini top, in public, this last weekend!

I am sticking this out for the long-run, because, honestly, I KNOW my body is evolving right now and even the scale will not deter me, because from what I can see, this is not a normal weight loss process that normally comes with CW methods. I can tell that my body needs to go up sometimes, in order to go 'down' (if that makes sense).

Keep tweaking your diet, keep incorporating new, fun and different exercises all the time. Keep your body guessing and you will find amazing results!

Thank you all for your input. I know I shouldn't place too much faith on my weighing scale and stick with the diet. I am so tempted to take up Mark's Primal challenge. But given our social setting, I'm not sure if I can be completely primal.

Honestly, as Sassa puts it, I'm in for the long run but some instant gratification by way of scales moving would be nice.

@PC: Pre-primal, I was a constant snacker, could easily take in 2000 cals a day, but I find myslef snacking less these days.

I would really like to change my exercise routine. Not sure where to start, would appreciate it if you could point me to a primal fitness 101 site or thread.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

If you go to the Primal Blueprint 101 page, then down a bit to Primal Workouts (For Everyone) there are quite a few ideas there, mostly not involving a gym I think. I mostly walk, sprint, hike, and do yoga/pilates videos at home, and bodyweight exercises like pushups, lunges, squats, etc. with my sprint workouts. Or I do them if I'm stuck inside and don't feel like doing yoga or pilates. I also have Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred video that I do instead of a sprint workout if the weather is bad. You should definitely do at least some type of primal challenge with everyone, maybe adding in more primal exercise could be your goal!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Ok, I've been Primal for a month now and my scale shows no change in weight, other than an occasional +/- 1 lb, and my BF and muscle mass are pretty much constant. My clothes feel just a little loose though. Could the scale be wrong? Any other fool-proof method to track my progress. The stats mentioned in the OP still hold good

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

PrimalCon New York

Maybe you're sensitive to the galactose in the dairy?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast