Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks of PB - 2 lbs up, BF up by 1% page 2

primalmom is offline Member

Shop Now

I think those scales are wacky, maba - I get a different reading on mine if I move it around on the floor from one place to another !!! .... if your clothes are looser, then something is happening ... something GOOD ... how about measurements ? Have you tried to track that ? Measure key points (hips, waist, upper thigh) and then keep track over the next month or so - and depending on how old you are, building muscle in women is a slower process for some of us (me) !!

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Mom, I'm 32. I can't find my measuring tape, so yesterday, I measured the key points with different colored yarns and I'm going to use that to guage my fat-loss. I measured myself after eating last night though, bad idea.

Dragline Guest

If you want something more reliable than that scale (mine fluctuates up to 5% in the same day!), get some of these inexpensive calipers:

http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/

No, I don't work for them, I just own a pair. They are not as accurate as more professional/expensive methods, but they don't give widely varying readings like the scale does and you can easily measure improvement with them over time.

My scale always reads high fat in the morning and low in the afternoon/evening. Even lower if I have a glass of wine. Go figure!

3 weeks into the challenge, my weight has gone up by 3.5 lbs, BF by 2% and muscle mass varies -0.5% to +2%. I believe I'm sticking to the diet with very little cheating. Most of my clothes when I started the challenge were on the looser side, so I can't even use them to guage my progress. My arms do look a little toned and my belly appears like it has a shrunk a bit. I'm 118.5 lbs now, I was 115 when I started Could the scale be schizophrenic?? Or could my muscle mass have increased by 2-3 lbs??

ohiolopez is offline Junior Member

Maba:

In my opinion you might not have that much to lose. I think 115 pounds seems pretty good to me but you know best.

In losing weight I tried to always keep an eye on my carbs. You can look at Mark's scale of carbs to see how you are doing; http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

I think my body is different. I need to be under 40 grams of carbs to lose weight. It seems you are putting your foods in fitday so I would go back and try to see how many grams of carbs you are having. I had to cut back on cheese and nuts because I was overdoing them.

Thanks Ohiolopez. My carb intake is usually around 60-70g. My macronutrient composition is typically 60-20-20. I haven't been consciously trying to restrict my carb intake as long as what I eat is primal. I must pay closer attention to the carbs.

I'm 5'0' and my BF as of this morning is 27.5%, I do have quite a bit of fat to lose.

Catalina is offline Member

Hi maba. . .I haven't looked at your journal in a couple days--have you tried a week without your almonds yet? One thing that might help with that--I keep reading that if you eat one thing super consistently, you can develop an intolerance, so maybe taking a break will allow you to enjoy them long term.

Katt is offline Senior Member

Hi, Maba! You may very well be putting on muscle as you lose fat. I remember a time when I exercised regularly and while the scale did not change for 3 months, I lost an inch on all of my measurements. Muscle was replacing fat.

Good luck!

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Sterling is offline Member

Maba - a really great way to get a feel for how many calories that you are truly eating is to measure/weigh everything that you put into your mouth for 2 weeks -- everything! Use fitday.com. This will help tremdously. Figure out your BMR and factor in exercise and then eat below that number.

Ridding body fat can only happen in a calorie deficit. I would highly recommend some intermittent fasting as well. Hope this helps and tweet me if you want any other advice. I'm sterlingpurdy on twitter.

Sterling

@Catalina: I must admit almonds are my vice. It's either whole almonds or almond butter I have to try to go for a week w/o them to see how my body reacts.

@Katt: I certainly hope that's the case but my scale says my BF has gone up too.

@Sterling: Yeah, that's what most have recommended before - to measure *everything*. For some reason I've been reluctant to do that. I thought sticking to the Primal guidelines would suffice. Will look for you on twitter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast