Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Migraines related to menstruation page 3

healthcoach is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If the migraine starts between ovulation and the start of the period its usually estrogen dominance/progesterone deficiency.If recent to primal/paleo diet just give more time. Consider the herb vitex or chaste tree if diet doesn't work. I usually don't use progesterone itself in this age group unless nothing else works. If using magnesium try the glycinate its easier to absorb no diarreah.
    See if there is a correlation to blood sugar issues ie missing meals, sugary snacks etc. Food allergies are very common and structural stressors like neck or head injuries can be a cause.

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    MIGRAINES SINCE I WAS 12!

I too suffered with migraines the day my period started and another on the day it ended. FINALLY at 43 years old someone told me about taking black cohosh. I started that and it worked! 8 months later I had a hysterectomy, and that ended the migraines during that time of the month.....but, 2 months after my surgery, I had another migraine. I have kept track of my periods for over 20 years, and now keep track of the migraines and have noticed that I get them on the same schedule that I did when I had periods. Dr said that because I kept my overies, I am still dealing with hormone fluctuations. So, I am going to start back on the black cohosh.

Good luck with your DD.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    I can add a +1 for supplementing with magnesium. I had atypical migraines for years, tried various prescription meds, no help. Years ago (15+) I read some odd article about a sheep-shearer who used a magnesium compound to treat sheep lice, and found that his migraines went away. When shearing season was over, his migraines came back, so he hypothesized that the magnesium had helped. So he took magnesium supplements and no more migraines!

After reading that, I started supplementing with magnesium and I seldom have any sort of headache now. I also used to have menstrual cycle related migraines, and the magnesium has reduced those to barely a twinge. I supplement with 400mg 2x a day, once in the morning, once at night.

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Jturk, do you have any female patients with exclusively weather-triggered migraines? If so, does this pattern hold true with them, too? If so, I might have to try the supplements you suggested.

My migraines are predominantly a difficulty thinking problem; the headache and nausea would not be too difficult to work around if they occurred in isolation. Often I am able to make the headache go away with Excedrin and a nap, but the difficulty thinking persists. Of course, when you're a scientist and basically paid to think, difficulty thinking becomes a major problem. I got a prescription for Zomig, though, in the hopes that it deals with the thinking symptoms.

KT79 is offline Member
    Could have her checked to make sure her vitamin levels are good. I've got very low magnesium and vitamin D and since I've started supplementing with those my migraines have gone way down. Low magnesium is an especially common trigger. If she likes to take baths, Epsom salts have a lot of magnesium which can be absorbed through the skin.

For me, other triggers are sudden weather changes, dehydration, lack of sleep, and gluten (I'm celiac). Nothing else food related that I've been able to identify.

KiteKasia is offline Senior Member
    I don't get migraines but absolutely horrendous headaches lasting 3 days just before menstruation (not always but quite often), I'm so going to try magnesium supplement! Should it be taken much in advance of expected menstruation (just say a week) on or regular basis?
    Thanks

Actually on the side note since I gave up grain and turned primal (it's pretty recent - about two months or so) I haven't head a single headache...

SherryLRogers255 is offline Junior Member
    Same exact thing with me, stupidly I went on the pill non-cycling (skip placebos) 10 years ago, went primal, dropped to a low dose pill, had the most horrible period of my life. Was in bed taking double muscle relaxers and narcotic pain relievers for THREE DAYS! Had to go back on it, I can't do that every month.
    But I get migraines outside of my cycle too, tho much less often now on primal. I use all of the supplements this site recommends.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...dies/index.htm
    And because its consumer reports its not a supplement company trying to sell you stuff
    GOOD LUCK

KT79 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KiteKasia View Post
    I don't get migraines but absolutely horrendous headaches lasting 3 days just before menstruation (not always but quite often), I'm so going to try magnesium supplement! Should it be taken much in advance of expected menstruation (just say a week) on or regular basis?
    Thanks

Actually on the side note since I gave up grain and turned primal (it's pretty recent - about two months or so) I haven't head a single headache...
    I take the magnesium supplements every day, but my doc has said I can take a couple extra on the 3-4 days leading up to my period to help ward off the migraine. I only started last month, and I still got a migraine, but it wasn't nearly as severe as usual. I'd probably try it for several days before hand and see how it goes. If taking magnesium keeps you from getting the migraine, I would think that's a pretty clear sign that you're low in magnesium and might need a regular supplement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123