Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions page

Sharon is offline Member

Newbie questions

Shop Now
    ok so i changed my diet drastically due to health problems, mainly gut disfunction and stuff relating to this.
    Quit eating all grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, night shades. Don't do alcohol and caffeine. 99% fresh food, little fruit. No fermented food, yeast, vinegar, dried fruit,... The lot.
    This happened gradually.
    Figured at some point this was paleo then came across Primal.
    I have recently started doing yoga and looking into excercising the primal way. Trying to figure out at the moment how, when and why.
    I dont do fasting cause i don't need to lose weight. I'm 1m62 weighing 49kg. Have been putting on weight since being fulltime paleo and with that came more energy.

So i have a couple of questions hoping someone can anwser.

As little fruit as i eat i do put lemon juice in my herbal tea. Is that ok?

I'm reading all this stuff about low thyroid and high cholesterol. How do i keep an eye on this stuff being ok?

I am planning on doing having blood work done somewhere soon. What should i ask specifically to look for? Are there guidelines regarding this?
    Usually my doc just tick a couple of boxes then glance at the paper when the results are in and says 'all fine'...

Cheers!

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Look for HDL vs LDL for cholesterol (and there is the large fluffy LDL which is better than the small dense LDL, don't know if they can differentiate those though), and if you have a hypothyroid condition or tendency, you will want to make sure that is not being aggravated. Frpm what I have read, you should see a rise in HDL, lowering of LDL and overall cholesterol (or it will stay the same), and a decrease in triglycerides.....my doctor is interested to see what my lipid profile does also, I just informed him of my 'new' diet (hate to call it that!).

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    ok so i changed my diet drastically due to health problems, mainly gut disfunction and stuff relating to this.
    Quit eating all grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, night shades. Don't do alcohol and caffeine. 99% fresh food, little fruit. No fermented food, yeast, vinegar, dried fruit,... The lot.
    This happened gradually.
    Figured at some point this was paleo then came across Primal.
    I have recently started doing yoga and looking into excercising the primal way. Trying to figure out at the moment how, when and why.
    I dont do fasting cause i don't need to lose weight. I'm 1m62 weighing 49kg. Have been putting on weight since being fulltime paleo and with that came more energy.

So i have a couple of questions hoping someone can anwser.

As little fruit as i eat i do put lemon juice in my herbal tea. Is that ok?

I'm reading all this stuff about low thyroid and high cholesterol. How do i keep an eye on this stuff being ok?

I am planning on doing having blood work done somewhere soon. What should i ask specifically to look for? Are there guidelines regarding this?
    Usually my doc just tick a couple of boxes then glance at the paper when the results are in and says 'all fine'...

Cheers!
    Sounds like you're on the right track. For exercise, just do tons of walking and then perhaps two days of strength training. If you're gym-averse, I'd recommend something like an Ultimate Sandbag.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Lemon juice in tea: no issues there - why would this be a problem??

Cholesterol : if you spend a few days reading about it ( myths and ratios etc) then you will know more about it than your doctor - he/she will most likely just blindly follow the lab reported limits.

eg a total chol of 220 is greater than the recommended number of less than 200 - don't need medical school training to know 220 is a bigger number than 200 - unfortunately the docs dont have the time or care to know what the numbers really mean - lab says its above 200 therefore you may need statin drugs ( or so they believe).

Wait a few months eating this way before getting a blood test - spend a day or two reading up on cholesterol so you are more informed than your doc if the total cholesterol is a little high ( not necessarily a problem - not that the doc will know that)

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post

Cholesterol : if you spend a few days reading about it ( myths and ratios etc) then you will know more about it than your doctor - he/she will most likely just blindly follow the lab reported limits.

eg a total chol of 220 is greater than the recommended number of less than 200 - don't need medical school training to know 220 is a bigger number than 200 - unfortunately the docs dont have the time or care to know what the numbers really mean - lab says its above 200 therefore you may need statin drugs ( or so they believe).

Wait a few months eating this way before getting a blood test - spend a day or two reading up on cholesterol so you are more informed than your doc if the total cholesterol is a little high ( not necessarily a problem - not that the doc will know that)
    WOW....well I gather you do not think very highly of physicians?

I am one myself, and if THAT is how your doctor approaches your labs, you need to get a new one. We are just like any other profession, there are good ones and bad ones....difference is if one guy can't fix your car you don't assume all mechanics are idiots. I understand the attitude though. Many are working under impossible circumstances.

As to your questions OP, I will do the best I can

1) I wouldn't kill yourself over the no caffeine or alcohol thing. I do espresso every morning and big reds with most of my high-effort meals. (Fatty meat and big red wines are made for each other!) If it's easy for you, do it, but too many go too hard too fast and quit. This isn't a diet. This is a permanent change for most.

2) I second the poster earlier. Lift HEAVY at least once a week, twice if possible. Walk, hike, flip over tires, run in circles around the house, MOVE. We are movers by our nature. Your body will respond.

3) Now for the doctor appts, my favorite....the first thing you need to do is be a curious patient. Many docs give simplistic answers not out of ignorance, but out of fear of rambling on or going over your head. You need to nix that. Ask questions and preface by saying that it's fine if you don't understand it all. That gives us license to speak more freely.

I would not use any faddish terms if you don't need to. I have heard patients say "I have decided to give up all processed food, to do very little alcohol, and stop eating 300 carbs a day." This works better on most than giving it a name like you got it from a book....then we get afraid that you will be on something new next month, changing our markers. I doubt any doc will give you anything but a "congratulations. That will be very good for you" to that. If you get anything else, can them

As far as your results, you are likely to see the overall cholesterol go up, but that is not alarming in that your ratio will be much improved. Mostly, your HDL will be higher and your trigly will be lower...for me, and I look at labs ALL DAY, those are my canaries in the coal mine. Also, get your HbA1c done to get an idea of where you where to where you finish. This is an indicator of your blood sugar over the past 3 months or so. I have seen patients go from 6.0% (borderline NIDDM) to 3.5% (superhero) in just a few months...it will be a great motivator for you!

Any doctor that will Rx you a statin based solely on total cholesterol increasing should lose their license immediately, and I highly doubt you will get that. Also, many hospital labs now use technology that will further breakdown your lipid panel, likely giving you a much better outlook on your progress in primal health. Those big fluffy cholesterol will be making up a big part of your otherwise scary LDL number if you eat primal...seeing as these are an indicator of atheroelasticity, a very good thing, I think you will be encouraged.

This is not radical. I have said to many of my pts the following, in recommending a hybrid-primal diet plan. (I deal in diabetics suffering from eye disease almost exclusively. Many of these poor people have other complications systemically from their DM, so I counsel nutrition about 20 times a day)

It goes like this: "Every organism, from a bacteria to a plant to a dog to a human, evolved to live a certain way. As humans, we were meant to move a lot and eat anything we could catch....that leads to the one fundamental rule of all biology: The further you force anything OFF it's evolutionary path, the sicker it gets. All I am suggesting is that we don't do that. We need to listen."

Seeing as many of my pts have blood sugar swings that can kill them, I cannot do standard primal, but the principle is the same.

Get a good doc. Move a lot, have fun, and don't eat anything that requires a machine to eat. You will be very happy with the result.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 06-29-2013 at 10:39 PM.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    WOW....well I gather you do not think very highly of physicians?
    Not very highly.......... you're surprised

I do like most of what Peter Attia and Colin Champ and many other 'Paleo Physicians' say though.
    Having said that, I know that they are outliers and seen as rogue by most of their peers - the few medicos I personally know do and see them as potentially dangerous.

I am one myself
    OK.
    That must be difficult for you, if you subscribe to paleo - you're probably attacked by your own peers ( if you dare tell them your practices).

and if THAT is how your doctor approaches your labs, you need to get a new one.
    Yes that right, but I don't need one now - It would be good to get a good one now for when I get older. Very poor experiences for my self and relatives- I knew something was wrong with every outcome but I wasn't educated enough to pin point it at the time. If the patient is medically ignorant ( most are) it is very difficult to know that doctor is a bad one and a better one is required ( patient is ignorant to know how to tell a medico is good or bad).
    CW doctor drug prescribing doctor numbers far outweigh good ones and medically ignorant patient is statistically most likely to start and stay with another bad doctor after it took years to work out the last one was bad. Eg A cold or flu : antibiotics are often prescribed to people I know that go for a sick certificate for work- they take the drugs trustingly ( is use of antibiotics for colds taught in medical school?- if not, where does that come from?)

I would love to see a list of simple ways to detect what is a good doctor and what is a bad one ( a method that doesn't not take years of visits and time wasting - my time wasted, my money, my health). If I were to go 'doctor shopping' what I do to detect bad ones quick?

You're in the perfect position to do this - if you haven't already.

We are just like any other profession, there are good ones and bad ones....
    Yes I agree with this.

....difference is if one guy can't fix your car you don't assume all mechanics are idiots.
    Yes. But its not a car - even though customer is mechanically ignorant and trusts the mechanic.
    Car breaks due to bad mechanic - its just a car, part can be replaced.
    Car dies due to bad mechanic - its just a car and can be replaced.
    If Mechanic rips me off - its just money (if faulty car doesn't cause me or others injury due to failure)

Doctors under a lot of pressure : yes I agree with that but this also translates to poor outcomes for the patients.

Basically I am saying to OP is that if you ignorantly leave it to others to be doing the right thing - some years down the track they may be very disappointed.

I could go on, but it's off topic..........enough wasting people's time.......
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 06-30-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    I would actually recommend you start fasting in the mornings up until about 12pm. During that time drink a nice amount of water and get in some form if cardio before eating.

This should help with gut issues. Fasting isn't specific to fat loss. You could still bulk on fasting sinse its all about number if calories you get after the fast.

Sharon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    Look for HDL vs LDL for cholesterol (and there is the large fluffy LDL which is better than the small dense LDL, don't know if they can differentiate those though), and if you have a hypothyroid condition or tendency, you will want to make sure that is not being aggravated. Frpm what I have read, you should see a rise in HDL, lowering of LDL and overall cholesterol (or it will stay the same), and a decrease in triglycerides.....my doctor is interested to see what my lipid profile does also, I just informed him of my 'new' diet (hate to call it that!).
    Thanx, Barnyard.

Sharon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    Sounds like you're on the right track. For exercise, just do tons of walking and then perhaps two days of strength training. If you're gym-averse, I'd recommend something like an Ultimate Sandbag.
    Okay. Do lots of walking as it is, don't have a bike or car. I'm not into gyms so will look into the sandbag thing cheers.

Sharon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post

Yes, thank you. Last time i got my cholesterol checked he said the results where perfect, this was about 3 years ago. I didn't ask what exactly those perfect results where.
    Have been looking into finding sound information about how to approach blood work. What exactly do i ask my doc to look for to get a decent overview of my health as opposed to him ticking a few standard boxes then saying everything is fine if they're inside those lab limits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast