Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Orange Juice - the thread. Once and for all, lets figure this out page 5

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    If you aren't willing to occasionally eat slightly gone-off food, your stomach Ph will rise and you'll be harder hit when you accidentally consume something that's turning. Now, you needn't go and do a Vonderplanitz on it, but avoiding any fruit that's slightly fermented is like avoiding any beef that's slightly greyed or refusing to eat sauerkraut.
    It's quite ironic you say this, I actually eat food that's turning, My wife is always at me about eating off food ("Its not off babe, it just smells funny"). I believe it strengthens metabolism, immune and maybe gut flora.

As I already eat turning fruit, I don't really need to get my "metabolism workout" on something that we have almost no idea where it comes from. Yes I know orange juice is made from oranges, but what varieties (juicing varieties of fruit taste like shit)? how ripe/off? what other additives? how long in storage and transit? how long frozen/chilled before juicing? are they imported? is it reconstituted? is there water added? is there sugar and what type added? how long has the juice bottle sat on the shelf?

too many effin questions, I'll just stick to oranges from the fruit shop or even better, the neighbors yard.
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 06-24-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Meh.... I'm all for a little alcohol in my fruit ... but I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from with the stomach Ph schtick. Sure stomach PH being normal is a line of defense against pathogenic little buggers making it further into the digestive track, but you exercise that protocol everytime you eat regardless if the your eating fruit thats a bit off or not.

The issue with fruit juice is akin to that of alcohol consumption. A large bolus drank all at once outpaces the bodies capacity to process and detoxify. I say akin because we know its not exactly the same, but it's close enough to use as an example.
    In much the same way you can alter your guy flora and enzyme production by what you eat, frequently eating certain foods will encourage your body to keep a low stomach Ph.
    Eat a lot of fibrous food, raw food and slightly gone-off food will mean your body will keep the Ph low. If you mainly eat processed foods or are fruitarian, the Ph will be high. When the Ph is high, your body can't destroy as many of the pathogens you inevitably eat, making you more vulnerable to parasites and illness. Similarly, someone who often eats raw brassicas can eat raw brassicas, but someone who doesn't will get indigestion. Why? The person who eats lots of raw brassicas has a lower Ph due to eating raw brassicas, which, in turn, allows them to eat more raw brassicas. Your body doesn't always work immediately in response to stimuli, sometimes it works in a feedback loop. And you stomach Ph is linked to the foods you usually eat, not the ones you just ate.

Actually, if you want to compare juice and alcohol (a good comparison, due to similarities in how the body processes fructose and alcohol), then you'd be wrong. Frequent consumption in small to moderate quantities is more likely to overwhelm the liver than occasional high consumption. Think of the liver as a filter with a bag on the side. It takes an incompatible sugar (alcohol or fructose) and filters it (into glucose), putting it into the bag for later use. In VERY small quantities, it can steadily do this, as the bag is always kept relatively empty. But the filter is in continual use, so it will degrade faster than in someone who consumes infrequently. In small or moderate quantities taken frequently, the bag is often full and the filter is overworked, leading to fast degradation of both items/functions. In large quantities taken frequently the bag is full to burst and the filter is worn down quickly (fatty liver). In large quantities taken infrequently, the filter is worked heavily, but given time to clean and the bag is very full, but given time to empty. The damage is temporary.
    The trick is to basically consume these sugars in very small quantities, very infrequently or both. The middle-ground is the worst place to be because you never rest your liver.

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    It's quite ironic you say this, I actually eat food that's turning, My wife is always at me about eating off food ("Its not off babe, it just smells funny"). I believe it strengthens metabolism, immune and maybe gut flora.

As I already eat turning fruit, I don't really need to get my "metabolism workout" on something that we have almost no idea where it comes from. Yes I know orange juice is made from oranges, but what varieties (juicing varieties of fruit taste like shit)? how ripe/off? what other additives? how long in storage and transit? how long frozen/chilled before juicing? are they imported? is it reconstituted? is there water added? is there sugar and what type added? how long has the juice bottle sat on the shelf?

too many effin questions, I'll just stick to oranges from the fruit shop or even better, the neighbors yard.
    True that, but you DID say
    If you wouldn't eat a rotten orange, why would you drink one.
    I was just mentioning that some of us would eat slightly "rotten" food.
    Glad you're in the same camp, comrade.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    Breaking off from the general drinks thread, where one person says orange juice is a superfood and the other not to touch it...

Our body does need carbohydrate for energy, period. There is no argument here.

Why not get these carbs from a freshly squeezed nutrient packed great tasting orange juice?

For carbs, how is orange juice "worse" than rice or potatoes that have very little nutrients?
    fallacious argument.

Fail
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post

All good questions.... Eat local. Eat whole. Grow it yourself if there is any possible way. Thems my personal "rules".

Timthetaco Guest

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Not a fan of store bought juices:
    -Pasteurised which reduces nutrients
    -Not fresh
    -Possible crap additives
    -Low nutrient to calorie ratio

If its 100% freshly squeezed then I would say go ahead, but I don't think freshly squeezed is always that available.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Okay, I'm not good at reading stuff like that. But basically, it told me that my choice to continue drinking orange juice is a good idea.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Ok, I'm not scientist, but just how on earth do they get someone to drink 300 calories of water? From the study....

"Equicaloric amounts of orange juice or water did not induce a change in any of these indexes."

Hehee.... I know I'm just nitpicking, but you really think that they would be more careful with their wording. Being all sciency and stuff

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Ok, I'm not scientist, but just how on earth do they get someone to drink 300 calories of water? From the study....

"Equicaloric amounts of orange juice or water did not induce a change in any of these indexes."

Hehee.... I know I'm just nitpicking, but you really think that they would be more careful with their wording. Being all sciency and stuff
    Haha nice catch. I did see somewhere that they slipped in something about "obviously this means fiber is beneficial" but nowhere else was fiber mentioned. And really, the amount of fiber in OJ is totally negligible.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Either way, it's good to know that processed fruit juice is about as pro-inflammatory as water.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast