Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Orange Juice - the thread. Once and for all, lets figure this out page 4

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    A pint? A quart? A half gallon?
    Doesnt matter.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Doesnt matter.
    You're right, as always. There is no limit to the amount of fruit juice people should consume. Or sugar.

You even did an experiment to prove that people can thrive on unlimited amounts of sugar, and broke your metabolism and ended up on a vegan diet. Guess it didn't work out so well for you.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-23-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You're right, as always. There is no limit to the amount of fruit juice people should consume. Or sugar.

You even did an experiment to prove that people can thrive on unlimited amounts of sugar, and broke your metabolism and ended up on a vegan diet. Guess it didn't work out so well for you.
    Your posts never make any sense.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Your posts never make any sense.
    It's kinda funny, you can watch her carry on conversations with imagined people in threads periodically.
    nihil

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    Breaking off from the general drinks thread, where one person says orange juice is a superfood and the other not to touch it...

Our body does need carbohydrate for energy, period. There is no argument here.

Why not get these carbs from a freshly squeezed nutrient packed great tasting orange juice?

For carbs, how is orange juice "worse" than rice or potatoes that have very little nutrients?
    Your post starts way too biased toward the "carbs are good, period". Why this defensive tone ?
    First of, the body has some essential glucose requirements, not dietary carb requirements. There is a big nuance between the two.

Second, there are many types of carbs from mono-, di-, poly-saccharides, oligos, fibers, etc. They have very different metabolic pathways (fructose vs resistant starch for example, can you tell me the difference ?).

When you squeeze oranges, you mostly get the water and its water soluble content. You probably ignore the left-over pulpe. So, by guzzling down the juice, you don't get the whole nutritional content and mostly get water and fruit sugar + a bit of vitamins, minerals. It not only leaves you deficient in essential stuff, it won't satiate you or quench your thirst adequately (nothing beats just plain water for that) and you tend to drink a lot of the fruit sugar because it feels and taste good.

I am not saying that it is bad to drink orange juice, but I would rather eat potatoes (which are nutritionally more adequate), drink water and have an orange as dessert. But feel free to squeeze as many oranges as you like and drink all you can.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what you want it for.
    If you want a greater concentration of nutrients and an energy boost: juice.
    If you want to flavour your water: diluted juice.
    If you want hydration: water or mineralized water.
    If you want something substantial: the fruit.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Has any one considered the difference between oranges that get sent to market to end up on grocery store shelfs and the ones that get sent to the juicing factory?

If you wouldn't eat a rotten orange, why would you drink one.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    If you aren't willing to occasionally eat slightly gone-off food, your stomach Ph will rise and you'll be harder hit when you accidentally consume something that's turning. Now, you needn't go and do a Vonderplanitz on it, but avoiding any fruit that's slightly fermented is like avoiding any beef that's slightly greyed or refusing to eat sauerkraut.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    OK. I guess I'll limit intake for twice a week or so.

What juices are considered "better for you"?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    OK. I guess I'll limit intake for twice a week or so.

What juices are considered "better for you"?
    Think of it more in terms of quantity than frequency. Allow yourself a litre (for the sake of using a number) a week, and spread that out however you please. Drink a cup, a pint, dilute it, add to teas... Whatever you want.

And, as for "better for you": drink a variety, try and keep it seasonal. The juice will pretty much have the qualities of the fruit (sans fibre), so go with whatever you like as fruit and whatever works well with your body. If you love oranges and eating oranges regularly keeps your body "happy", then drink orange juice. If blueberries leave you feeling odd, then not blueberry juice. Everyone's slightly different, so, as long as it's just juice (and not processed, refined or fulla additives), drink whatever suits you.
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    If you aren't willing to occasionally eat slightly gone-off food, your stomach Ph will rise and you'll be harder hit when you accidentally consume something that's turning. Now, you needn't go and do a Vonderplanitz on it, but avoiding any fruit that's slightly fermented is like avoiding any beef that's slightly greyed or refusing to eat sauerkraut.
    Meh.... I'm all for a little alcohol in my fruit ... but I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from with the stomach Ph schtick. Sure stomach PH being normal is a line of defense against pathogenic little buggers making it further into the digestive track, but you exercise that protocol everytime you eat regardless if the your eating fruit thats a bit off or not.

The issue with fruit juice is akin to that of alcohol consumption. A large bolus drank all at once outpaces the bodies capacity to process and detoxify. I say akin because we know its not exactly the same, but it's close enough to use as an example.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-24-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast