Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting my life back page

Jeapa is offline Member

Getting my life back

Primal Fuel
    I am still working my way through the PBP and have been lurking here for about a week. I need a journal to keep track of my progress or lack there of whatever may be the case. I am jumping in as much as I can cause my health has taken a huge dump the past 5 years. Some days I wake up and wonder how did I end up in this body?

Five years ago I was a mostly healthy 40 yr old woman at 5'9.5" and 160 pounds. I had never had a weight problem and decided to finally kick my smoking habit. So I quick smoking gained 30 pounds and that's where it all started. Fast forward and now I am 45 and looking at major metabolic syndrome. My bp is 150/90, fasting blood sugar 134, diagnosed hypothyroid, total cholesterol 190, and 240 lbs. I am a heart attack waiting to happen. I just started on thyroid meds and I am hoping that adopting this lifestyle will keep me off more medication and allow me to get my life back.

My husband is currently deployed in Afghanistan and won't be back for another 7-10 months. My goal is to get healthy and look great before he comes home. I have an awesome dh and he has supported me through so many challenges, but I know my weight gain has effect him. We are very active and usually spend our vacations in places where we can do some serious hiking. This past year I have been so tired, fatigued, and achy. I have zero energy and struggle to get through my day. Anyway I am determined to make this work and started eating primal 3 days ago. I plan on stopping in here as much as I can to document my progress to help keep me on track.

Today's food:

B: coffee with creamer ( French Vannilla)
    L: 2 hard boiled eggs, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. A few blueberries and strawberries.
    D: 3 egg omelette with cheese, sausage, and a few home fries. I ended up eating 2 pieces of toast which made me upset, but it was reflex cause the toast was on the table.

I had about 2 glasses of water throughout the day and another cup of coffee at dinner. I think bread and potatoes are going to be my biggest problem. I am trying to eliminate as many carbs as possible to maximize my fat loss, but I love bread .

One day at a time and I will get there. I have to, my life is depending on it.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Good luck! I think it is almost easier to just "cold turkey" stop with the bread and potatos since you will trigger cravings even with a little. It really does get better after a week or so. Since you like hiking, be sure to pair the diet with walking and body weight exercise as you feel better

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Jeapa, you can do this. You have made a great start and I wish you success in reclaiming your health. I love hiking too, and have really got back into it in a much bigger way since also eating primally.

I feel that ditching the bread will be one of the keys to your success, potatoes not quite so much of a problem (and you can let them back in sparingly once weight loss is achieved, unlike the bread which you will be better to eliminate almost completely).

Creamer sounds to me like a processed thing, I would opt for real cream instead.

Best wishes, Annie

Jeapa is offline Member
    Thanks for your support Annie and miss blue it helps a lot. Reading members journal gives me motivation to stay the course. The flavored coffee creamers and bread are going to be my hardest two things to give up, but I will do it!

It amazes me how much weight I gained trying to follow a more vegan/vegetarian diet. I was eating so many carbs trying to stay away from fat/meat, and I really believe with my thyroid issues it was just making things worse. For the first time since starting this diet I feel a little better this morning. I bit less achy and I will take it. I am skipping breakfast as I usually do and am going to try and go with this and get some walking in.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    It looks as though you have the right momentum here, best of luck with it. We all have glitches that we can iron out over time, there's no rush on this, like you say one day at a time.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    You may want to try some of the bread recipes that use coconut or almond flour. These treats really help many people in the beginning. Check out Elanaspantry.com for lots of baked goody recipes. Also check out/ search out recipes here. While these types of recipes should not be the main part of your lifestyle, sometimes you need a muffin, cake or cookie recipe and these are all grain free. Best of luck to you!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Enjoy your walk, Jeapa. I guess skipping breakfast is ok if you are used to it, I do it sometimes now. But when losing weight I always found that eating eggs and veges for breakfast set me up to make good choices the rest of the day also. Have a great primal day

Jeapa is offline Member
    Thanks for the encouragement Owen and the advice Mud Flinger (I like your screen name).

Today has been a good day. I skipped breakfast and just ate a handful of almonds around 11. I got quite an unexpected workout today. I needed to catch a rooster and a couple of my laying hens to take to an Amish family. Well chickens can run pretty darn fast when they know you are trying to catch them I should have grabbed them last night while they were roosting, but then I wouldn't have had the benefit of chasing them today.....lol..

Food today:

B- coffee w/ creamer (giving up the flavored stuff)

Snack- handful of Almonds

L- not hungry

D- got hungry so ate early at 3:30. Garlic chicken with red cabbage cooked with turkey bacon and onions. Yum Yum. Had another cup of coffee.

If I don't eat anything else today I think I managed to stay below 50g of carbs !!

JenLiana is offline Member
    Welcome Jaepa, seems you are doing great so far! Keep up the excellent work. I know you can do it, and your husband will be so surprised. What a great gift to give yourself, and him for his homecoming!

I went cold turkey on everything when I started. And oddly enough I no longer crave bread, starch or sugar! The first few days were rough, but trust me, that will end!

Proud of you!!

Jeapa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Enjoy your walk, Jeapa. I guess skipping breakfast is ok if you are used to it, I do it sometimes now. But when losing weight I always found that eating eggs and veges for breakfast set me up to make good choices the rest of the day also. Have a great primal day
    Thanks Annieh. I had a great day! It seems impossible to have gained so much energy in just 4 days of making changes to my diet, but I got so much more accomplished today then my usual. I never seem to be hungry until 10:30-11:00am and during the week I work 6:00am-2:30pm so by that time it is my lunch hour and it works out. I do tend to eat dinner early so sometimes I grab a snack at 8:00pm if my stomach gets rumbling. The weekends tend to mess with my schedule so I end up just going with the flow.

I stepped on the scale today and I am so happy cause I lost 8 pounds

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast