Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Getting my life back page 4

Jeapa is offline Member
    My last post was a journal in and of itself! I guess I got excited to hear from someone else that has thyroid problems.

I had a great 4th at the beach. I did eat some pizza and had an ice cream, but I am not going to feel bad. Those are the only real cheats I have had since I started and I could have easily said no. I wasn't really tempted to eat them, I simply chose to eat them. I got some serious walking and playing in over the past couple of days so I think I did pretty good.

I have decided to stay off the scale for a while. I think it will be better for me to focus on eating healthy and just feeling good. I am still thinking about hiring a personal trainer to help me with adopting an exercise routine. I am also going to work on stress relief and getting more sleep.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeapa View Post
    When I told my GP that my elevated TSH numbers from 2011 should have been further investigated she told me that they don't treat patients unless their TSH is at 10 or above. I could not believe what I was hearing and asked her why, when a normal level would be less then 2. I was told that most people don't notice a change when treated unless their TSH was above 10.
    I read this and my face was .

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I hope you feel better on the Synthroid. I started taking it myself in mid-May and have been bumped up to 112 mcg. (I have Hashimoto's with a completely normal TSH.)

Jeapa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    I read this and my face was .

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I hope you feel better on the Synthroid. I started taking it myself in mid-May and have been bumped up to 112 mcg. (I have Hashimoto's with a completely normal TSH.)
    Thanks for posting Gay Panda. Do you feel better since starting on the Synthroid? I am not sure yet because I also switched to primal eating around the same time, and I am still on my initial start up dose.

By the way, I love your journal. I have been working my way through it a little everyday, but haven't made it anywhere close to the end. You are a gifted writer and I have been wondering if you ever ended up publishing the series you were working on?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Jeapa your story sounds very familiar. I couldn't even get tested until I told the doctor I could be driving and go from Point A, get to Point B and not remember the drive in between. Thyroid disease, as well as obesity and diabetes is very common in my family.

I also started on 50 mcg of Synthroid. I was told things were good on that dose. That was not my truth. I learned to educate myself and fight for my health. It took 8+ years and firing/changing doctors who would not treat me and would only looked at my TSH levels.

I got the most help from this site and the forum there:
    Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules - Metabolism - Weight Loss - Diet - Hormones - Hormonal Balance - Perimenopause - Menopause
    About.com Thyroid Disease Forum

As to the carb issue-- The thyroid makes different hormones, mainly T4 and a little T3. T4 is known as the storage hormone. T3 is known as the active/usable hormone. T3 is made when T4 is converted, mainly in the liver, by T4 dropping one iodide module to become T3.

Things that help T4 to T3 conversion include:
    1. Optimal vitamin D levels
    2. Optimal ferritin and iron levels
    3. Adequate selenium--200mcg/day My multi-vitamin has that amount.
    4. Managed stress-- Not too much over all stress. And:
    Not too exercise
    Not too few calories
    Not too few carbs-- thyroidmanager.org suggest 50 grams of carbs as the low point for thyroid conversion

Also there is two types of each thyroid hormone. Total T4 and Total T3 measures the bound and unbound/usable hormone. Free T4 and Free T3 measures the unbound/usable hormones. Things that can bind thyroid hormones, making them unusable include:
    1. Soy
    2. Taking iron and calcium within 4 hours of taking thyroid meds
    3. Birth control pills and or HRT containing estradiol (estrogen)

Finally, I suggest abandoning the quick fix to bring about weight loss. Instead focus on improving health. Becoming healthy, in every since of the word, tends to bring about weight control. It may not be quick but it has a better chance of being permanent.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions. I try to pay the help/knowledge I received forward.

Jeapa is offline Member
    Thank you so much for posting those resources Marcadav. I have printed out several handouts to present to my doctor. I am going to push for free T-3 and reverse T-3 tests.

The more educated I get the more upset it makes me that I have suffered needlessly without treatment. I have not always been obese, but my doctor often made me feel like I must be overeating and or not exercising enough. I used to be very active, but these symptoms have made it difficult to do normal day to day stuff.

I doubt my carbs are below 50g per day. I am guessing they average 50-75 but since I don't measure this is just an estimate. I will pay attention to this more and keep it at or above 50g.

I am back on tract and eating well today, but I am very tired and fatigued from the 3 days at the beach. I really over did it and I am paying for it today. I am going to take a nap and just rest up this afternoon.

Thanks so much for the support everyone!!

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeapa View Post
    Do you feel better since starting on the Synthroid? I am not sure yet because I also switched to primal eating around the same time, and I am still on my initial start up dose.

By the way, I love your journal. I have been working my way through it a little everyday, but haven't made it anywhere close to the end. You are a gifted writer and I have been wondering if you ever ended up publishing the series you were working on?
    I'm responding to the Synthroid with intense bouts of drowsiness and eye twitches (the endocrinologist is unconcerned since it wears off as I adjust to each new dose). In his opinion, most people with thyroid issues are grossly under-medicated. It's frustrating that I had to go outside my HMO to get taken seriously. My HMO doctor thinks I am fine since my TSH is fine, even though I have elevated antibodies and feel dreadful.

Glad you're enjoying my journal! I know that I talked about two series along the way, Runes and Sigils - it's the Rune series in those earlier pages (Runefool, Runefly, Runegame, et cetera) that I assume you're reading about. I decided to stop the endless query treadmill and just self-publish it. I've been traditionally published once before and didn't want to go through that again. It was really hard to consider self-publishing at first, as it was beaten into my head that only losers did that, but I've had more success doing it on my own than through a publisher. So lesson learned.

And I completely understand your comment about doctors making it feel like this is all your fault! I remember one telling me that the reason I couldn't lose weight was because I only went to the gym to jog three times a week instead of four. Problem solved! I wanted to scream. (I also wanted to scream at one of Lady Friend's doctors who said lack of exercise was the issue - Lady Friend wrangles sheep and farms all day long, on her feet, moving and lifting weights, and the doctor said that she should get on a treadmill for 45 minutes every day on top of it. That would make the difference after ten hours spent farming. Fail.)

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jeapa,
    I really hope you can improve your life and health. After reading your journal i feel compelled to offer up some insights I have learned along the way, you are right, there is alot of noise on these forums with people coming from alot of different angles. As I don't have hypothyroid or any particular metabolic problems, I won't offer up any particular protocols or regimens designed to alleviate the effects of these symptoms. but i still think some of my beliefs will help you make some good choices in your own journey. I'll start off pretty heavy...

It is my belief that the only way to elicit any change in the human body is through a combination of stress and rest. This could come in the form of reduced stress or increased stress and the same for rest. The primal blueprint operates by optimizing these 2 metrics (although because many people have different requirement for stress and rest mark can't give us the full picture, his ideal is a general one not a specific one, you have to work the finer details out your self, but if you don't know what you need to adjust yourself your really just pissing into the wind, I'll try enlighten you on what you have to change yourself and what will change under marks protocol).
    You mentioned in one of your posts that your main aim is to lose weight. I fear initially this might be too much for you to handle, for the following reasons. To lose weight you have to provide a stress to your body, the more caloric stress you put your body under the more fat your body has to use up to over come that stress. but there is a caveat, your body can't indefinitely deal with stress, it HAS to rest, many many many people put their bodies under too much prolonged caloric stress on this forum and you will do well to avoid their advice. Also your body can only deal with stress upto a certain threshold before system failure ensues, this varies per individual (this fact is clearly seen in the weightlifting world, my lifting mass stress threshold before muscle failure might vary greatly from yours). Your caloric stress threshold is likely very small (say compared to mine) because of the reduced capacity of your metabolic tools (low thyroid). It is therefore likely that you would have alot of trouble dealing both with a small caloric threshold (ie not much under TDEE) and a small caloric deficit (probably not more than a few days).

I think the same care will have to be taken with exercising, as it has a similar stress metric to the above. To see any changes you have to provide a stress, make that stress too large or too prolonged and your body will crack, this is pertinent in your case as your energy system is reduced and you won't be able to handle and adapt to the stresses most normal MDA exercisers initially will.

Ok, Im sorry if that seems a bit daunting, it is not meant to be, it really only means you are starting from a lower point and mighn't have the same upper thresholds as others, in regards to stress handling. But if you are still breathing it is ok, because you can still use stress and rest to your advantage. It is my advice that you get intimate with stress and rest, find your thresholds for every thing, find at what point stress stops giving you a positive reaction (through our evoluntionary ability to get stronger when faced with stress upto our threshold) and starts showing negative results, once again this effect can clearly be seen when weight lifting, If you are under your threshold any weight lifted will see a positive result (ie muscle gain), any weight over your threshold will see a negative result (ie muscle damage, fatigue). It gets even better, your can increase the positive benefits by lifting closer to the threshold but (and isn't it brilliant) you will need more rest to recover from the proximity of the threshold. Get to know rest, your body really needs it, I don't mean just sitting on the couch either, TPB's slow moving is a form of rest. You will need to be careful of not providing stress to your body either, under no stress our bodies don't reconfigure (get stronger). If you are struggling to understand this concept, think of child whom has lived in a box until ten years old and then released, upon release they would be some what atrophied with very limited strength and fitness, their skin would be pale, they would be alergic to every thing, the first flu would knock them flat and a whole other myriad of effects would afflict them. Our selfs exist in the context of stress, without stress we perish, with too much stress we perish. Stress yourself but not to much and not for too long and get plenty of rest to build better stress handling abilities.

I would make it your mission if i had the choice to: progressively and slowly increase your metabolic stress thresholds (just like a weight lifter would his muscles) by increaseing the level of stress your body is exposed to by small amounts with plenty of rest in between. This can apply to calories, macros, meal timings and fasting intervals. I think you would do well to keep on "not recording" cals and macro's etc it is extremely difficult to consiously guage the correct amounts of every thing in such a dynamic system (our metabolism), even if someone might have arrived at an optimal cal or macro protocol for a normal person, your levels would likely be different to this anyway.

So keep up the good work, understand your journey might be a little longer than others but you will get there. Use the same stress that has damaged your systems over the years to reconfigure yourself, I have seen/heard of anecdotal evidence of the stress paridigm working in all forms of human bodily systems. for example my mother is seeing some progress in her progress trying to recover from parkinsons (they say it is impossible to recover from parkinsons, wich may be true for full recovery, but she has definitely reverse the severity of some of her symptoms by using good stress management) I am personally improving my myopia (nearsightedness), this is supposed to be incurable apart from laser surgery, by a gentle increase in the stress my eyes (particulary my bad eye) are under. I have heard of full stroke recovery, diabetes recovery, cancer recovery and many other recovery's.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Jeapa is offline Member
    Thanks so much dilberryhoundog for taking the time to write out such a detailed and helpful post in my journal. I understand the concept that you are describing and it makes a lot of sense to me. When my husband and I started hiking we did not jump in to do the most strenuous and advanced hikes we worked our way up over a period of 3 years. In fact it seemed to me that I almost didn't realize how capable we had become until we hiked Grandfather Mountain in NC. The sign at the trail head said advanced hikers only. We almost decided not to do it because we did not consider ourselves to be advanced. It turned out to be the most difficult hike we had done thus far, but we did it and we felt good afterwards.

I think it is time for me to realize that slow and steady needs to be my pace right now. I need to find my thresholds for stress and do my best to stay under those while still moving forward. I definitely need to concentrate on getting my thyroid condition treated correctly as this will make a huge impact on my health both physically and mentally.

I read your success story and I really like the way you changed things up to keep your body guessing. Congrats on your weight loss and health. Your journey gives me hope that I can get my health back even if it takes me a bit longer.

I really appreciate this community and the willingness to give back and help those of us just beginning.

Jeapa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Glad you're enjoying my journal! I know that I talked about two series along the way, Runes and Sigils - it's the Rune series in those earlier pages (Runefool, Runefly, Runegame, et cetera) that I assume you're reading about. I decided to stop the endless query treadmill and just self-publish it. I've been traditionally published once before and didn't want to go through that again. It was really hard to consider self-publishing at first, as it was beaten into my head that only losers did that, but I've had more success doing it on my own than through a publisher. So lesson learned.

And I completely understand your comment about doctors making it feel like this is all your fault! I remember one telling me that the reason I couldn't lose weight was because I only went to the gym to jog three times a week instead of four. Problem solved! I wanted to scream. (I also wanted to scream at one of Lady Friend's doctors who said lack of exercise was the issue - Lady Friend wrangles sheep and farms all day long, on her feet, moving and lifting weights, and the doctor said that she should get on a treadmill for 45 minutes every day on top of it. That would make the difference after ten hours spent farming. Fail.)
    I just ordered all 3 books in Rune series. I am looking forward to reading them.

I am amazed at how many people with thyroid problems struggle to find a doctor that actually helps them get well. If I am doing my part and educating myself, changing my diet, ect.. I would at least expect my doctor to have an open mind and educate himself on the latest research and treatments.

I know how labor intensive farm work can be as I grew up on a farm. I have a small flock of chickens now cause I missed the eggs so much. Lady Friend probably works harder on a day to day basis then most people do in a week.

Jeapa is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been missing my dh and worrying about his safety a lot this week. It is Ramadan right now and this seems to have increased the number of attacks near the base in Kandahar were he is deployed. The silence in the house today has been depressing to me. My adult son still lives at home, but he is young, (25), and between work and his social life most nights it is just me and Tink my little yorkie. It gets lonely. I guess I don't have much good to write about today, just a down mood, but tomorrow is another day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast