Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting my life back page 3

Jeapa is offline Member
    Shop Now
    For the first time in a week I have been snacking between meals. Last night around 9pm i got hungry and decided to eat some rasberries. I had about 8 of them with a half cup of yogurt. Today I have had two snacks. I had some pepperoni and cheese about 2:30 and I just had some more rasberries and yogurt at 10pm tonight. I am not sure how the snacks are going to effect my weight loss, but they were primal and delicious.

I haven't been tracking my calories because I wanted to keep this simple. I just cant see myself weighing out my food or inputting into some program everyday. I plan on weighing myself on Sunday morning to see where I am at. I am trying not to weigh myself more then twice a week cause I know it bounces around. I weighed 240 on 6/18 at my doctors office and the last time I weighed myself at home I was at 232. It would be nice to be under 200 by September. I think that is a good goal and I think setting some goals will help get me motivated to start lifting and do some sprinting. I am not sure if I am going to be the type of person that loses fat easily and fast or harder and slower. Time will tell I guess. I would like to be at 160 before my dh gets back from Afghanistan next April.

It is tough some days thinking about how long he is going to be gone. I am missing him so much tonight. he has been in the military since 1986 and we have been through long deployments before, but it does not get any easier. I am praying this will be his last and he will retire in a few years.

JenLiana is offline Member
    I haven't been tracking anything either Japea. Its too time consuming for me, and I figured as long as I am eating everything that is primal, I should be okay. As for the scale. I hate my scale. It taunts me, even though I have it under my sink in the bathroom. It calls out my name, it wants me to step on him. I really try not to, and its suggested not to either. Because your weight can fluctuate so much. You are supposed to base it off how you feel and how your clothes are fitting. So, I've a new resolve not to stop on that scale for at least 3 weeks.
    There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears. And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears, get over your hill and see what you'll find there, with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Hey Jeapa!!

Welcome, and by the sounds of it, congrats on your first few days!!!

You're doing really well, and I'm so happy you're seeing results on the scale, but actually I feel more importantly, from the inside (more energy, happiness etc.) as without that, you're lost...... Or at least I am.

I agree with upping the water a wee bit, and I don't always count the food in detail either - too finikity. However, when I was new, I did because it's a bit of a revelation on how much our minds can chat between 'good cop / bad cop' and ignore the extra treats you may or may not have. Once you have done it a few times you can be more honest when eye balling things. It was something that helped me, so take it or leave it!!

Enjoy your new found energy, and all the best,
    PG!

Jeapa is offline Member
    Today i haven't eaten as much as the last few. I skipped breakfast and ate my eggs for lunch. I have been eating a ton of eggs lately because I have access to great eggs, my chickens. I find myself wondering if this is good or bad? I am pairing the eggs with lots of veggies. Today I had onions, green, red, and yellow peppers, spinach, garlic, and tomatoes sauteed with a little olive oil and a little pepper jack cheese... it was yum. So on average I am eating about 3 eggs every other day or about 9-12 a week.

I have not snacked at all today and I skipped dinner because I was still full from lunch. I am trying to up my water intake, but I have not been thirsty really. I have had 3 cups of coffee with cream. It has been a lazy day, but a good day. I spent about 3 hours talking with my daughter and it was great. I am often so busy and our schedules clash such that we don't get a chance to just sit and have such a relaxed conversation. My daughter is 27 years old and mother to my 2 beautiful grandchildren. I must make more time to do this.

Tomorrow I plan to start a knew exercise routine. I am going to start slow, but I am going to lift something heavy and do some sprints. I feel good enough to do this and that is awesome!

Jeapa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    Hey Jeapa!!

Welcome, and by the sounds of it, congrats on your first few days!!!

You're doing really well, and I'm so happy you're seeing results on the scale, but actually I feel more importantly, from the inside (more energy, happiness etc.) as without that, you're lost...... Or at least I am.
    PG!
    Thanks so much. You are right, feeling healthy is what matters the most and I am so elated to have more energy. I have serious metabolic problems and really need to get on the path to healthy eating and also to lose some fat. I do not want to end up with type 2 diabetes and I was headed in that direction. This diet is agreeing with my body thus far and I am committed to making changes that will stick. I am hopeful that in a few months I will see the results when I look in the mirror not just on the scale.

Jeapa is offline Member
    Yesterday was weigh in day and I was still 232. So I didn't lose or gain.

I have been feeling frustrated from information overload. I have been reading this forum, blogs, links, ect., to try and gain a better understanding of what I need to be doing to encourage my body to lose fat. It is mind boggling to me because you have so many opinions. VLC, no don't do that, calories in calories out, don't eat too many nuts, lift weights, no don't exercise too much until you lose some weight. I think I am making this more complicated then I need to and I thought I was keeping it simple.

I am afraid that I will fail, that despite my best efforts my body is going to like those that are having a hard time even though they are following primal 100%. I was looking at family photo albums yesterday and seeing myself 5 years ago and what I look like now just depresses me. WTF happened to my body? I hate feeling this way, but that was my mood for most of the day.

Despite my drop in enthusiasm, I started my exercising. I ran some sprints with my grandson and we did push-ups and squats and went up and down the stairs about 10 times. I was impressed at his fitness level. He is 6 and can do 20 regular push-ups with getting winded. I am feeling it a little today in my legs, but that is good cause it tells me that I worked hard.

Food yesterday:

B- cup of coffee with cream
    L- pepperoni and cheese
    D- Roasted chicken, broccoli, and a red potato w/butter
    Snack- a handful of raspberries and a little yogurt.
    Last edited by Jeapa; 07-01-2013 at 06:23 AM.

JenLiana is offline Member
    I know exactly how you feel right now Jaepa. There is a huge information overload and its very hard to decipher what I should be doing. Yes- eat potatoes, no don't eat them. Stay away from dairy, no dairy is fine ext. Its all very confusing. I know you have to tinker around and find what is right for your own body, but trying to figure that out is pretty tough, especially when you want to start losing some weight and feel better asap.
    I am happy to hear that you did some exercise. You are ahead of me there, I suspect for me, it might be what I need to do in order to see my lose some more. It's just kind of tough for me to find the time. I did lose 10lbs. But it's not seem to gone down in a while, so other than exercise, I am not sure what else to do. Maybe we need to stop the dairy?
    There will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears. And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears, get over your hill and see what you'll find there, with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Jeapa is offline Member
    I just gotta stop reading so much and go with how I feel and right now I feel sore I think I may have done a few to many squats yesterday. I am toying with the idea of getting a personal trainer to help me with my exercising. I hate gyms, but I know so little about how to do this, and I am afraid of hurting myself.

I would be willing to give up dairy short term if I thought it would really help. I don't drink much milk except cream in my coffee, but I do love my yogurt and cheese. I am not sure what to think at this point, but I do feel better since giving up the grains and processed foods. I think I will give this 6 weeks and see what happens before I change too much of what I have been eating. I just started taking medication for my hypothyroid and I need to work myself up to the correct dose. It may very well be that until I get my hormone levels correct, I may not lose much?

I am going to the beach with my daughter and grandkids for the the 4th. This will be my first trip since starting primal and the first time I will be eating out. I am glad there will be a small frig in the hotel room so I can bring some primal stuff with me. My plan is to avoid the boardwalk eating places and stick with seafood and veggies. I should be able to get some good play time in and will do some swimming for sure.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Jeapa, I was given some very wise advice several years ago when I was diagnosed hypothyroid. A wonderfully smart woman, further down the thyroid road, said, your body needs time heal when you're diagnosed with thyroid issues. Trying to lose weight while trying to optimize thyroid hormones is counterproductive because it adds stress, both physical and psychological, the body doesn't need.

I also know from experience, dealing with thyroid issues for 13 years, I can not control what I weigh. I can control the choices I make on a daily basis.

Four and a half years ago I gave myself permission to stay obese if I got and stayed healthy. A year later I was healthy and I've stayed that way. A perk of my healthy choices was I lost weight.

There have been bumps in the road, the need for thyroid med adjustment on more than one occasional, resulting in symptoms returning and weight gain. However I handled those bumps because I stayed focused--- on my health and my choices.

So my suggestion is to read and follow the book or the blueprint 101, here on the site, change your focus to health and let things happen.

Also, I don't recall what thyroid meds you are taking but, generally, it takes 6-8 weeks for meds to reach full effect in the body, with symptoms often lagging behind that. Don't be surprised if your initial dose needs tweaking more than once. And, I hope your doctor is testing free T4 and free T3 along with things that can impact thyroid function:
    1. Vitamin D
    2 Ferritin

Other things that help thyroid function are, getting 200 mcg selenium daily, not eating too low carb or too few calories, and not over exercising.

I hope this helps.

Jeapa is offline Member
    Marcadav, thank you so much for taking the time to relate your experiences with hypothyroid. It has been a frustrating journey for me to get to the bottom of my symptoms and get diagnosed. I have been suffering from chronic fatigue, depression, muscle and joint pain, dry skin, extreme cold and hot just to name a few. I had my TSH tested back in 2011 and it was 6.9 and my GP said well that is a little above normal, but well just keep an eye on it. At that time I really hadn't done much of my own research and thought my problems were related to just being overweight. I didn't know I should have asked to have my T-4, T-3 numbers checked.

Fast forward to June 2013 and I am feeling worse and have picked up another 20lbs despite eating a low fat diet. I starting doing some of my own research and when I went in to see the doctor I asked to have my levels retested and asked for the T numbers. When I told my GP that my elevated TSH numbers from 2011 should have been further investigated she told me that they don't treat patients unless their TSH is at 10 or above. I could not believe what I was hearing and asked her why, when a normal level would be less then 2. I was told that most people don't notice a change when treated unless their TSH was above 10.

I don't think my doctor appreciated all of my debate, but I managed to get her to test T-4 and the antibodies along with the TSH. She would not test T-3 levels and I could not convince her. My TSH was 11.6 and my T-4 was .60. I am going to get a copy of the results when I go back in for next check on the 19th. I am taking 50MCG Synthroid. I have only been taking it for a little over 2 weeks. I want to find another doctor, but it is difficult. Most doctors aren't taking new patients and I am limited by my insurance as to who I can see. I am doing my best to assert myself without offending my doctor too much.

I understand what you are saying about trying to lose weight right now. I am just so tired of looking at myself and feeling like a failure. Five years ago I weighed 160lbs and I wasn't facing metabolic syndrome. I am very concerned about my BP 150/90 and my fasting blood glucose 134. I feel like my weight and health have been spiraling out of control and I need to do something quick. There is a history of heart disease on both sides of my family and I am afraid.

When you say not too low carb what do you mean? I am not really counting calories or specific ratios right now. I am just doing my best to make sure I am eating good whole unprocessed foods, with no grains, and sugar. I am eating plenty of veggies, meats, eggs, a little bit of fruit, and some dairy. I am taking an Omega 3 with Vit D supplement and I will look into the selenium. I have felt more energy since changing my diet, but not much weight lost yet. I am still having some muscle and joint pain and have skipped my period yet again. This has been happening off an on for the past year so maybe I am pre- menopausal on top of everything else.

I am trying to work on just feeling healthy, but then I look in the mirror or step on the scale. I really need to keep positive. Thanks again for talking about your experiences. Please stop by and offer any advice or tips good or bad on what I am doing. I don't think I can count on my doctor to give me good advice on nutrition, and I am even worried about getting my thyroid problems treated correctly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast