Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silent Reflux? I cannot breathe. page

SpitFire is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down Silent Reflux? I cannot breathe.

Shop Now
    I have a problem. I can't breathe. Like, I cannot get a full, deep breath. I pretty much have to yawn to get the full breath and even then I only sometimes do. I read on here a while back about that being a symptom of silent reflux. I'm pretty sure it is. Nothing else fits. I've been eating mostly primal for about a month or so but my grain consumption/gluten consumption has been very low over the last 6 months or so.

Everything I find on the web for a silent reflux diet is to eat grains, beans, etc.

Does anyone have any nutritional advice? I do eat dairy still. And I do notice when I eat wheat that I seriously cannot get a breath the next day (sometimes longer).

A little background for me: I'm 29, 5'5", 116lbs. I'm not on any medications and I have a physically demanding job.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I also have that problem, for me I have found that it is allergies that is the cause. Whenever I have eggs, casein and some of the flours and nuts I get a very tight chest and can't breath properly, pain goes right through to my back. I just have to be super careful not to have them, it is a real pain but no choice.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I will treat this like I would an actual patient, so here goes:

Any known allergies?
    How long has this been happening and how long does it last for? Are we talking 15 min or hours?
    Are you an asthmatic or did you have it in juvenile form?
    Do you have heartburn, frequent cough, or throat pain?
    Biggie here....are you a smoker?
    At your last physical, did you have your lung capacity taken? (Spirometer)

I don't know if this is acute/serious or long-standing, so let us know. Feel better

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If I had trouble breathing, I'd go to a doctor instead of asking some people online for advice, honestly.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I will treat this like I would an actual patient, so here goes:

Any known allergies? Nope
    How long has this been happening and how long does it last for? Are we talking 15 min or hours? Hmm. I haven't time it. It normally starts when I'm eating and can last for a while afterwards. But, when I woke up this morning it was there. I will try to pinpoint a more exact timetable.
    Are you an asthmatic or did you have it in juvenile form? Negative.
    Do you have heartburn, frequent cough, or throat pain? Before I went primal I did have some heartburn. Sometimes I get a kind of "tickle" in my throat and have to cough. And I do notice some throat pain that accompanies the not being able to breathe fully.
    Biggie here....are you a smoker? Nope.
    At your last physical, did you have your lung capacity taken? (Spirometer) I did not.

I don't know if this is acute/serious or long-standing, so let us know. Feel better
    I first noticed this about 3 years ago, but it was so occassional that I didn't really think about it.

Thank you for responding with these questions

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    If I had trouble breathing, I'd go to a doctor instead of asking some people online for advice, honestly.
    Honestly, I don't put much faith in doctors. They write prescriptions before tests are even done. But, should it get any worse or I cannot figure it out with food, then I assure you, I will go.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Yup. I can make some "oh it could be" based on my experiences in life... Trouble breathing in is a very different symptom from trouble breathing out... But see a doctor for real.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitFire View Post
    Honestly, I don't put much faith in doctors. They write prescriptions before tests are even done. But, should it get any worse or I cannot figure it out with food, then I assure you, I will go.
    The number 1 way alternative medicine kills people is by delaying seeking treatment where standard treatment is called for. Lets say you had the disease I have, for example (you probably don't). Delaying seeking treatment = death. Straight up, that simple.

You can turn down the pills. You can ask questions. But when you have access to care that can make people who should die not die, turning down that amazing opportunity offends the sensibilities. I wish I could give your slot to someone in Africa who is dieing a slow suffocating death from the condition I have and who never had that opportunity.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Yup. I can make some "oh it could be" based on my experiences in life... Trouble breathing in is a very different symptom from trouble breathing out... But see a doctor for real.
    Obviously what I'm looking for IS people's experiences, so I can have some kind of idea of what might be going on. I am not going to go to a doctor blindly and just let them fill me with prescriptions until one of them "works". You might do that, but I don't.

I'm not going to argue about going to a doctor. I have my reasons for going/not going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast