Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silent Reflux? I cannot breathe. page 2

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have suffered from this disease for 3 years and I am only now better. PPI's will do nothing for LERD and this has been proven with studies. Look into Zinc Deficiency.

From my book:

LERD: Lower Esophageal Reflux Disease

Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease is a newer, less understood cousin of GERD. LERD is different from GERD in that suffers of LERD suffer from more of the upper airway symptoms of a reflux disease than GERD sufferers. Symptoms of LERD include coughing, hoarseness, tachycardia after eating, esophageal spasms, post-nasal drip, sore throat, lump in the throat feeling (globus pharyngis), hoarseness, dry mouth, bad taste in mouth, bad breath, loss of smell and nose function, ear infections, hearing problems, and asthma. Many people who suffer from LERD don’t have traditional heartburn or any symptoms of GERD. Also unlike GERD, LERD sufferers usually don’t have any heartburn symptoms, including pain in the throat and chest.
    LERD suffers usually have their symptoms during the day, even if they eat or not, and usually when they are sitting. GERD suffers usually have their symptoms in the evening, after they eat, and when they are lying down. Most LERD symptoms are instead felt upon waking from sleep in the morning. It is also harder for LERD to be diagnosed because the symptoms are so universal for most people. LERD can disguise itself as being asthma or as patients having sinus problems.
    Unlike GERD, the esophagus generally looks undamaged in people with LERD. This is because the acid and pepsin that are refluxed are quickly swallowed downward. This causes a lot less damage to the esophagus itself and more damage to the upper airway. Visible swelling of the larynx using a fiber optic camera in the throat might be a more diagnostic approach in identifying patients with LERD.

In most people with LERD, the LES and the UES are not functioning properly. The UES is known as the upper sphincter that closes off the oral cavity from the esophagus. In people with GERD usually the LES is the only sphincter not functioning properly so the acid gets stuck in-between the stomach and the esophagus and this is what causes the heartburn sensation in most patients.
    The problem with LERD is that unlike GERD, conventional medicine can’t even come close to fixing it. Proton pump inhibitors have been found to be generally ineffective. The most depressing information is that there is no known true cause of LERD yet. My best hypothesis is that it is caused by any combination of these issues. SIBO, magnesium deficiency, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, Zinc deficiency, and nerve damage to both the LES and UES.

Treatment Protocol for LERD:

Be checked by a doctor for SIBO, if positive or have a lot of the symptoms follow SIBO protocol.
    Follow the Strengthen LES protocol.
    Follow Rebuilding the Gut protocol as well.
    Ask a physical therapist about “shaker” neck exercises that can be used to strengthen neck muscles after someone has a stroke.
    Treat Adrenal Fatigue or/and Hypothyroidism.
    Drink only room temperature water during meals, and do not overeat.
    Drink 1/2 cup of Alkaline Water 1 hour – 2 hours after a meal to deactivate Pepsin in the larynx (from stomach content reflux) that might cause irritation. Also drink cup right before bed.
    Follow low carbohydrate diet like the SCD, Wheat Belly Diet, Primal Diet, or Bulletproof Diet. Consider also a low acid diet. Consider adding a FODMAP restriction to any of these diets. See Diet section for more details.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    SpitFire,

My sense is that you're looking for is input and information. So, here are some thoughts/angles for you.

I'd make a little mark on my calendar about when it started. I'd also keep a tablet and note when it happens and when it doesn't and just keep an eye on it for a few days. You might also note what the weather was like and your level of activity and if you ate certain foods (gluten, dairy, supplements). You'd be amazed at what you can catch when you put something on paper patterns show up.

I completely respect your desire to not go to a doc. If it persists, it might be helpful to get a doc's input just to rule out anything serious. You can even tell the doc that you're there to rule out anything serious and that if it is something less serious you'll treat it with diet and exercise (or whatever feels right for you). Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Wish you the best,
    sg

SpitFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    I have suffered from this disease for 3 years and I am only now better. PPI's will do nothing for LERD and this has been proven with studies. Look into Zinc Deficiency.

From my book:

LERD: Lower Esophageal Reflux Disease

Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease is a newer, less understood cousin of GERD. LERD is different from GERD in that suffers of LERD suffer from more of the upper airway symptoms of a reflux disease than GERD sufferers. Symptoms of LERD include coughing, hoarseness, tachycardia after eating, esophageal spasms, post-nasal drip, sore throat, lump in the throat feeling (globus pharyngis), hoarseness, dry mouth, bad taste in mouth, bad breath, loss of smell and nose function, ear infections, hearing problems, and asthma. Many people who suffer from LERD don’t have traditional heartburn or any symptoms of GERD. Also unlike GERD, LERD sufferers usually don’t have any heartburn symptoms, including pain in the throat and chest.
    LERD suffers usually have their symptoms during the day, even if they eat or not, and usually when they are sitting. GERD suffers usually have their symptoms in the evening, after they eat, and when they are lying down. Most LERD symptoms are instead felt upon waking from sleep in the morning. It is also harder for LERD to be diagnosed because the symptoms are so universal for most people. LERD can disguise itself as being asthma or as patients having sinus problems.
    Unlike GERD, the esophagus generally looks undamaged in people with LERD. This is because the acid and pepsin that are refluxed are quickly swallowed downward. This causes a lot less damage to the esophagus itself and more damage to the upper airway. Visible swelling of the larynx using a fiber optic camera in the throat might be a more diagnostic approach in identifying patients with LERD.

In most people with LERD, the LES and the UES are not functioning properly. The UES is known as the upper sphincter that closes off the oral cavity from the esophagus. In people with GERD usually the LES is the only sphincter not functioning properly so the acid gets stuck in-between the stomach and the esophagus and this is what causes the heartburn sensation in most patients.
    The problem with LERD is that unlike GERD, conventional medicine can’t even come close to fixing it. Proton pump inhibitors have been found to be generally ineffective. The most depressing information is that there is no known true cause of LERD yet. My best hypothesis is that it is caused by any combination of these issues. SIBO, magnesium deficiency, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, Zinc deficiency, and nerve damage to both the LES and UES.

Treatment Protocol for LERD:

Be checked by a doctor for SIBO, if positive or have a lot of the symptoms follow SIBO protocol.
    Follow the Strengthen LES protocol.
    Follow Rebuilding the Gut protocol as well.
    Ask a physical therapist about “shaker” neck exercises that can be used to strengthen neck muscles after someone has a stroke.
    Treat Adrenal Fatigue or/and Hypothyroidism.
    Drink only room temperature water during meals, and do not overeat.
    Drink 1/2 cup of Alkaline Water 1 hour – 2 hours after a meal to deactivate Pepsin in the larynx (from stomach content reflux) that might cause irritation. Also drink cup right before bed.
    Follow low carbohydrate diet like the SCD, Wheat Belly Diet, Primal Diet, or Bulletproof Diet. Consider also a low acid diet. Consider adding a FODMAP restriction to any of these diets. See Diet section for more details.
    Excellent information. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    SpitFire,

My sense is that you're looking for is input and information. So, here are some thoughts/angles for you.

I'd make a little mark on my calendar about when it started. I'd also keep a tablet and note when it happens and when it doesn't and just keep an eye on it for a few days. You might also note what the weather was like and your level of activity and if you ate certain foods (gluten, dairy, supplements). You'd be amazed at what you can catch when you put something on paper patterns show up.

I completely respect your desire to not go to a doc. If it persists, it might be helpful to get a doc's input just to rule out anything serious. You can even tell the doc that you're there to rule out anything serious and that if it is something less serious you'll treat it with diet and exercise (or whatever feels right for you). Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Wish you the best,
    sg
    Good suggestions I try to keep a mental log, but I'll forget something sometimes. I woke up with it this morning And it's been come and go all day.

I also think I may be dealing with some time of adrenal fatigue or something. I should not be this tired all the time. Everyone talks about their energy being through the roof after they start eating primal/paleo, but I have almost zero energy. But my energy does normally pick up in the evening/night time. I just always thought I was a night owl.

Quies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitFire View Post
    I also think I may be dealing with some time of adrenal fatigue or something. I should not be this tired all the time. Everyone talks about their energy being through the roof after they start eating primal/paleo, but I have almost zero energy. But my energy does normally pick up in the evening/night time. I just always thought I was a night owl.
    Is the tiredness something you've been having trouble with for a long time or is it a recent development?

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    A correlation for silent reflux has been drawn from adrenal fatigue and low zinc levels for a long time. Ever take an Ace Inhibitor?
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Quote Originally Posted by Quies View Post
    Is the tiredness something you've been having trouble with for a long time or is it a recent development?
    I can remember being more of a night owl & not a morning person, but I would say in the past couple of years it's changed and I've just been super tired in the afternoon with energy levels picking up at night. Recent changes include having a kid. He's 20 months old. So yeah, maybe that's it? Heh. I also work in the evenings and it's a very physical job. Maybe my body is reserving its energy for that

I have one cup of coffee in the mornings with either 2 tsp of raw sugar or about 1 tbsp of local honey. I can't imagine that small amount would cause me to crash in the afternoons, but maybe it is? The rest of the day I drink water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    A correlation for silent reflux has been drawn from adrenal fatigue and low zinc levels for a long time. Ever take an Ace Inhibitor?
    Nope. What is that?

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Personally it makes me think of allergic asthma. As an asthmatic myself, I know not all attacks are the sudden coughing up toenails attacks. Some of them are very silent and a gradual shutting down of ability to breath. Allergy season is in full swing here so it is reasonable for it to be a form of allergy(asthma is primarily allergic in nature). If caffeine helps alleviate the symptoms it may very well be asthma. Not breathing well is not something to mess with and whatever type of doctor you go to, whether conventional or alternative, it would be a good idea to have a check. Remember, you don't have to take the meds they want to prescribe. I do not take the corticosteroids they want to prescribe, because 1) my asthma is mild enough I don't really need them 2) they are expensive and 3) I don't like the side effects. I do have a rescue inhaler which takes me a couple of years to actually use up and most of that is when I have a respiratory bug.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12