Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Vegetables Necesarry for Good Health? page

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member

Are Vegetables Necesarry for Good Health?

Shop Now
    Dear Mark,

Someone remarked on another thread:

The belief that we need copious amounts of vegetables is some kind of carry over from conventional wisdom. I believe it's Mark's way of appealing to CW folks (I know he says that himself in one of his blog postings.) because telling people they can exist quite well on fat, protein, and minimal vegetables would seem too Atkins-like.
    Is this true, or has this person misunderstood your meaning?

Thanks!

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile
    Well, there's two questions here:

1) Are vegetables necessary for good health? Like I said in the other thread, that depends. For some people, complete elimination of plants is what's necessary for their good health. Everyone has different genetics, different degrees of metabolic damage, different environmental factors. And everyone has their own hierarchy of values by which they decide whether various choices are "worth it", for whatever reason.

2) Does Mark Sisson advocate vegetables/plants solely to make his plan less scary for the average person? That's a complex question that only Mark can answer, but based on his writings, I would say that he's perfectly aware of all the arguments for and against plants in the human diet, and on the whole believes that thoughtful addition of such is more beneficial than harmful, both physically and psychologically.

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Frogfarm! That makes sense.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfarm View Post
    Well, there's two questions here:

1) Are vegetables necessary for good health? Like I said in the other thread, that depends. For some people, complete elimination of plants is what's necessary for their good health. Everyone has different genetics, different degrees of metabolic damage, different environmental factors. And everyone has their own hierarchy of values by which they decide whether various choices are "worth it", for whatever reason.

2) Does Mark Sisson advocate vegetables/plants solely to make his plan less scary for the average person? That's a complex question that only Mark can answer, but based on his writings, I would say that he's perfectly aware of all the arguments for and against plants in the human diet, and on the whole believes that thoughtful addition of such is more beneficial than harmful, both physically and psychologically.
    wow!
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Mark does say he eats a BAS full of veggies almost every day, and has for the last 20 years.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I, for one, do not think that vegetables are necessary. There cultures like the Inuit that have proven that theory. Personally, I don't completely avoid veggies, but I don't go out of my way to eat them either. I've give up on BAS's that were a staple of my diet. On most days, I'm entirely carnivorous and I'm doing just fine.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    That said, I don't think that veggies are harmful either. Being a VLC eater I just think it's easier more enjoyable to get the fat and protein that I need from animal sources.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    For the past month and a half I have been carnivore and I am getting all the nutrients I need from muscle meat, eggs, and plenty of organs, an occasion cup of milk, and coconut oil at the gym. That being said, I have nothing against PB's stance on eating plenty of vegetables. Carnivore is a little too extreme but it is doable.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

PrimalPeg is offline Member
    I don't think veggies are necessary either, but maybe I think that's true cause I want it to be true. I'm not a huge veggie fan. But according to GCBC, you don't need to eat veggies unless you are eating grains. In that case, you need the veggies to help compensate for the anti-nutrients in grains.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    But according to GCBC, you don't need to eat veggies unless you are eating grains. In that case, you need the veggies to help compensate for the anti-nutrients in grains.
    Fascinating! I'd love some more info on that idea--if you have any links about this, I'd be really interested! (It does totally make sense...)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast