Thread: Best workout to maintain strength while losing fat? page

teach2183 is offline Senior Member

Best workout to maintain strength while losing fat?

Shop Now
    I am happy with my strength. I am a 30yo mother of 2 that is 5'3.5" and 170lbs. I can squat 170, deadlift 180, bench 125, and press 90. I need to focus on losing body fat at this point. But I'm having trouble deciding on what the best exercise program to follow would be. I play indoor soccer once a week, at least 1 40 minute game. So I am looking to balance this with strength training to maintain strength as I focus on losing weight. I get bored with just body weight and the high reps they necessitate. I'm looking for something that is about 30 minutes 2-3 times a week, preferably something full body.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Definitely something low volume, high intensity would be great for maintaining strength while losing fat. Lower volume will also make sure you don't burn out.

Look into something like 5/3/1 or Starting Strength, both of which are strength oriented routines with fairly low volume.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Aim to get your squat to 270, deadlift to 315 and bench o/h press to 120.
    Once a week, 3 sessions (one compound lift each session) not more than 30 minutes each session.
    Few but ripe.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I'd look into kettlebell training.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Keep lifting heavy Squat, press, bench, deadlift, 1-3 reps of heavy weight, supplement these with some variation of a snatch, clean and press, walking lunges, or high rep squats so a workout might look like this:

Warm up
    Squat 5 sets of 1-3
    Press 5 sets of 1-3
    Pull ups 5x8-10
    Clean and Press with weight that will enable you to do 6 sets of 10-12 ( this shouldn't be too demanding muscularly but more about endurance and speed)

then on your off days, walk 3 miles with a weighted vest, or run hill sprints, or invest in a sled or prowler.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Keep lifting heavy Squat, press, bench, deadlift, 1-3 reps of heavy weight, supplement these with some variation of a snatch, clean and press, walking lunges, or high rep squats so a workout might look like this:

Warm up
    Squat 5 sets of 1-3
    Press 5 sets of 1-3
    Pull ups 5x8-10
    Clean and Press with weight that will enable you to do 6 sets of 10-12 ( this shouldn't be too demanding muscularly but more about endurance and speed)

then on your off days, walk 3 miles with a weighted vest, or run hill sprints, or invest in a sled or prowler.
    Interesting. I've been thinking about wanting to add more Olympic type lifting. I already walk a bunch and spend my days chasing my 3 and 5yo whom are quite active. So my off days are spent at the park/swimming right now.

I've considered kettlebell training, but can't afford new equipment right now. Possibly for Christmas though.

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Interesting. I've been thinking about wanting to add more Olympic type lifting. I already walk a bunch and spend my days chasing my 3 and 5yo whom are quite active. So my off days are spent at the park/swimming right now.

I've considered kettlebell training, but can't afford new equipment right now. Possibly for Christmas though.
    Save your money, you can do whatever you need to at the gym, I'm sure chasing a five year old is very demanding, but what is more demanding is running hill sprints with a weighted vest, if your goal is fat loss this will do it, do it in the morning or before bed when you have time, find a local hill street or park anything that has an incline, Invest in a good weighted vest, do 3 warm up sprints and stretch, then 7 with added weight, should take like 20 min tops. Get tough.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    That looks right up my alley. No gym, just our ~5yo bench w/ squat rack and lat tower in the garage. But I also find I stop losing weight if I workout too often. Maybe one day heavy lifts and one day complexes while I'm focusing on losing.

Koobs is offline Member
    This is an easy one. Do the same routines you are doing now (assuming they are working for you). Just take in less calories per day. I'd cut carbs first due to my own experience. That seems to have the biggest impact on me when I want to get really ripped. Doing this I am able to drop fat easily while maintaining and sometimes even gaining strength (although at a slower rate than when I am pounding as much food as possible).

If you aren't currently working out then I'm a fan of heavy squats and deads.