Thread: Leangains Log: Getting Shredded! page

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member

Leangains Log: Getting Shredded!

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys!

I've been kind of a lurker on the forum for a while now, and I figured I would log my training/diet stuff here as it's the only forum I frequent.

Anyways, I will be following Martin Berkhan's Leangains method, which I'm sure many of you are familiar with. If not, he explains everything in great detail on his site Leangains.com.

My goal is to get lean enough to the point where I'm satisfied, and then do a lean bulk.

If you're interested, I have a lot of information about my progress over the last few years on my blog, if you want to check that out (not a plug, just showing where you can go for more info about me, so I don't have to bore you to death here).

I will be training 3x/week, focusing on the main compound lifts.

As far as my diet setup, I will eat in around a 35% deficit on off days, and around a 10% surplus on training days, as per Martin Berkhan's recommendations. The surplus on training days is to mitigate some of the negative effects that occur during long term dieting.

I look forward to logging my training here tomorrow and I hope that this log is entertaining/useful!
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

rockrunner Guest
    Good luck with the IF, I've been doing it for over 25 years its part of my lifestyle, Martin has made it popular recently...it really works well...don't hesitate to tweak it a bit if you need to.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post

My goal is to get lean enough to the point where I'm satisfied, and then do a lean bulk.

As far as my diet setup, I will eat in around a 35% deficit on off days, and around a 10% surplus on training days, as per Martin Berkhan's recommendations. The surplus on training days is to mitigate some of the negative effects that occur during long term dieting.
    Ok that's interesting - I have been doing surplus nearly every day :-o
    probably about +20 to 30% - that explains all the fat I've gained lately
    Seriously though, I have gained about 9 pound of muscle but it came with about
    3 pound of fat - so not too bad I guess ( but not leangains).

The lower calorie days on the off days is something it kinda started naturally in the last week - due to just not being hungry and couldn't be bothered to 'push' myself to eat. Looks like this is the right thing to do according to leangains ( I knew of leangains but not that detail of deficit days).

So is the deficit days used only during lean-out period?

Is the lean bulk period surplus eating everyday? ( by say 10%)

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    Good luck with the IF, I've been doing it for over 25 years its part of my lifestyle, Martin has made it popular recently...it really works well...don't hesitate to tweak it a bit if you need to.
    Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Ok that's interesting - I have been doing surplus nearly every day :-o
    probably about +20 to 30% - that explains all the fat I've gained lately
    Seriously though, I have gained about 9 pound of muscle but it came with about
    3 pound of fat - so not too bad I guess ( but not leangains).

The lower calorie days on the off days is something it kinda started naturally in the last week - due to just not being hungry and couldn't be bothered to 'push' myself to eat. Looks like this is the right thing to do according to leangains ( I knew of leangains but not that detail of deficit days).

So is the deficit days used only during lean-out period?

Is the lean bulk period surplus eating everyday? ( by say 10%)
    I think he recommends somewhat of a deficit on off days, even when trying to gain muscle (something like 10%). This is to completely minimize fat gain, but at the cost of muscle gain being a bit slower than it would be if you were in a surplus everyday. Not 100% sure, will have to find the article where he said this.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    I think he recommends somewhat of a deficit on off days, even when trying to gain muscle (something like 10%). This is to completely minimize fat gain, but at the cost of muscle gain being a bit slower than it would be if you were in a surplus everyday. Not 100% sure, will have to find the article where he said this.
    Ok.
    Perhaps I'll continue on will with the lower calorie days ( maybe even slight deficient) on off-days.

Lately I've been doing the higher fat on off-days and higher carbs on Lift days, protein remains high- along with the morning fast.

Not exactly fully compliant leangains protocol but close.
    The bulking and composition changes are pleasing - I started from lean not too long ago.
    He seems to know his stuff.

Thanks for your reply.