Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: I wish Mark (or someone else) writes a response to this... page 11

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well my completely jaded opinion of how research gets funded and printed predicts that since "gluten free" has now proven to be a profitable market you will see a lot more studies done in this area over the next several years.
    You're probably right.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Errrm if you want to eat grains then eat them?!

Many people feel better after eradicating grains, and often they never even felt all that bad in the first place. Do they care what this or that scientific study say? Probably not.

Instead of debating the rights and wrongs of the issue, just try cutting out all grains for 30 days and see what happens. You'll either feel better or you won't. If you feel better on grains or they don't seem to affect you negatively then eat them!

I honestly never though grains affected me badly, but I was struggling with my weight and sometimes low energy. When I stopped grains I lost some weight and felt less tired. When I slackened off and ate grains I again became more lethargic and found the weight creeping back a bit. I also find that my moods are worse when I eat grains than when I don't.

As it is I couldn't care less who "proves" that grains are good for you. My own experience is enough for me, and really that's all that should matter to anyone. Do what works for YOU whether that's paleo or primal or CW full of healthy whole grains and canola oil...

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Why don't people apply the same logic to dairy? The consensus is that if you tolerate it, it's fine, eat as much as you want. But if you tolerate grains fine it doesn't matter, they're still killing you slowly. Neither are essential and can be problematic for certain people but that doesn't mean everyone should avoid them.
    Could that be because if you don't show any negative effects after eliminating and then reintroducing dairy, it's unlikely that you are lactase deficient? If so, if lactose intolerance (and the associated symptoms) is the issue with eating dairy, the development of other issues caused by ongoing intake of dairy (ie. Not related to lactase deficiency/lactose intolerance or allergy) is unlikely?

Whereas, with gluten, if the continued consumption may actually increase the liklihood of issues developing where none were originally apparent when testing using elimination and reintroduction, why would you continue to eat it?

The risks of the gluten protein causing multiple issues (if the following claims are correct, which I'm tending to think they are though I don't have references to hand. So for now I'll say "if"...) e.g. increasing damage to the gut lining as time goes on, causing gut disbosis, intestinal permeability, links to autoimmune diseases, etc. Far out weighs any benefit of eating it, at least as far as I'm concerned.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Could that be because if you don't show any negative effects after eliminating and then reintroducing dairy, it's unlikely that you are lactase deficient? If so, if lactose intolerance (and the associated symptoms) is the issue with eating dairy, the development of other issues caused by ongoing intake of dairy (ie. Not related to lactase deficiency/lactose intolerance or allergy) is unlikely?

Whereas, with gluten, if the continued consumption may actually increase the liklihood of issues developing where none were originally apparent when testing using elimination and reintroduction, why would you continue to eat it?

The risks of the gluten protein causing multiple issues (if the following claims are correct, which I'm tending to think they are though I don't have references to hand. So for now I'll say "if"...) e.g. increasing damage to the gut lining as time goes on, causing gut disbosis, intestinal permeability, links to autoimmune diseases, etc. Far out weighs any benefit of eating it, at least as far as I'm concerned.
    Because there's more to dairy then lactose.
    I and many people have had many benefits from removing all dairy, but have no problems digesting lactose.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Because there's more to dairy then lactose.
    I and many people have had many benefits from removing all dairy, but have no problems digesting lactose.
    Not being argumentative, just trying to clarify. Are you saying that you were experiencing issues as a result of dairy which improved after giving it up? If not, please explain what you mean by "benefits".

If youwere having issues, do youknow what the cause was? Casein or something else?

If you've removed dairy and noticed a benefit? That's cool. Reintroduced it and seen negative effects so decided to leave it out? Also cool.

Or are you saying that even if someone doesn't see any benefits or notice negative effects after elimination and reintroducing dairy, they still should avoid it because the continued ingestion of it can cause issues down the track?

Sorry if any of that doesn't make sense, it's late and I'm starting to ramble :-)
    Last edited by Misabi; 06-26-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011