Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym. page

Davidil is offline Senior Member

No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym.

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I'm working at the gym pretty intensively, not every day but when I workout it is to complete muscle failure. I'm feeling pretty tired, today after gym I crashed for a 3 hours nap after a 7 hours night sleep.

Should I have some carbs? I hardly had any in weeks. And if so, which ones? If I think about rice or potatoes I just don't "feel like it".... I have no carbs craving. Maybe it's something else and not nutrition related?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Carbs are absolutely necessary for intense activity.

Your glycogen stores are probably depleted, which would explain why you feel like crap. Some rice and potatoes would do you good.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Should I have some daily, or can I do a once a week all you can eat Sushi and it will sort me out for the week? ;-) In other words, how does the storage work, is that something that can be done once a week or I need to maintain a constant intake of carbs?

I think Mark recommends one refeed per week.

This is especially important if you're dieting down. Going low carb for a long period without a refeed can cause downregulation in your thyroid hormones as well as a drop in leptin levels; along with the depletion of glycogen stores if you're training.

So yeah, one day per week is usually what's recommended to keep everything running smoothly.

Can I do pizza?

(Please say yes, I'm begging you ;-) )

If you're not sensitive to gluten, I don't really see a problem with it (unless you're trying to follow the Primal diet).

However, I would caution against high fat consumption on a refeed. The metabolic benefits from refeeds come from the increase in carbohydrate. High fat intake in conjunction with a refeed day will lead to fat storage (assuming you're in a calorie surplus).

So, that said, pizza probably isn't the best choice knowing that you should keep fat lower during refeeds. White rice, sweet/white/russet potatoes, yams, squash, low fat ice cream are usually what I stick with during refeeds.

Zach is offline Banned
    First of all, why are you aiming for muscle failure at every workout? You need to realize the intense exercise is fueled by glycogen, muscle failure will absolutely deplete glycogen stores of both the muscles and liver. Not replenishing them will set you up for a shit storm, not to mention you will not see any gains in strength or size.

Secondly, depending on your goals, once a week might not he enough, try a carb heavy meal post workout and also a one day refeed.

And yes, eat the pizza if thats what you want. You are in control of your diet, not people on the internet or some diet guru.

Also, fruit.

Good advice here^

Work to failure - check on Amazon "the power of 10" its a certain type of workout.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    Work to failure - check on Amazon "the power of 10" its a certain type of workout.
    Ugh. No one ever got strong lifting a total of an hour or less a week.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast