Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym. page 5

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    I agree with you generally on these points but I'm not certain about some of the time frames you list here...certainly over short time frames like 6 - 9 months I'm in full agreement but beyond that your gains made are going to stop eventually then what? Once you get strong your strong...unless your going to do a bunch of extra stuff you'll be about as strong as your going be. So if you do the slower less time consuming method of a once a week workout you don't think you can make it to that level of strength ever ? even if it takes say 6 - 9 months longer to get there till you level out?
    What are you arguing here, gaining muscle/strength or maintaining? There's a monumental difference, as it takes much less frequency/volume to maintain than it does to gain.

If you're trying to gain muscle/strength, whether it's long term or short term, applying progressive overload three times per week is going to be better than one time per week. Plain and simple.

Are strength gains going to stall? Of course they will, this is true for any program of any frequency. There are so many other aspects that go into a training program, diet and recovery being two of them.

Your idea that you need to give your body enough rest, so you only train for 10 minutes per week is absolutely silly, and completely underestimating the body's ability to adapt to a stimulus, as I said earlier.

I'm not sure I've fully understood what you meant by that last post, but that's what I've got to say.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for responding in respectful way BTW.

What I mean is there is a certain strength you can attain without going to extra ordinary(crazy) training....so how you get there can vary...the training you suggest may be the fastest method to get there and I can't dispute that at all but I'm not convinced that's its the only way to get there...just the my basic argument I guess. How sure are you there aren't a dozen ways to get that strong? or however many.
    No problem man. I'm always up for a healthy debate.

So I'm assuming you're referring to genetic potential. This is different for everyone, but yes, at a point, strength gains/muscle gains will stall (muscle gains will stop quicker than strength gains, I believe). Again, respectfully, I think the way you're thinking about this is silly. Assuming you're trying to get stronger and more muscular, why would you not want to achieve this in a shorter period of time, in order to maximize your potential? Training once per week is not getting even close to maximizing your potential, and strength/muscle gains will stall very quickly simply because you're not giving your body reason to adapt.

Yes, you're absolutely right, there are hundreds of ways to get strong. But, some ways are better than others, and I'm not at all convinced that training once per week will give you results even close to what training 3-4x per week will give you.

So, in a nutshell, you're limiting yourself by only training once per week. Your body can adapt to much more than that, and I think that lifting more frequently gives you more room for growth.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    No problem man. I'm always up for a healthy debate.

So I'm assuming you're referring to genetic potential. This is different for everyone, but yes, at a point, strength gains/muscle gains will stall (muscle gains will stop quicker than strength gains, I believe). Again, respectfully, I think the way you're thinking about this is silly. Assuming you're trying to get stronger and more muscular, why would you not want to achieve this in a shorter period of time, in order to maximize your potential? Training once per week is not getting even close to maximizing your potential, and strength/muscle gains will stall very quickly simply because you're not giving your body reason to adapt.

Yes, you're absolutely right, there are hundreds of ways to get strong. But, some ways are better than others, and I'm not at all convinced that training once per week will give you results even close to what training 3-4x per week will give you.

So, in a nutshell, you're limiting yourself by only training once per week. Your body can adapt to much more than that, and I think that lifting more frequently gives you more room for growth.
    Thanks for the response on this and I'll keep all that in mind.

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Ugh. No one ever got strong lifting a total of an hour or less a week.
    I think this may not be true for everyone.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aili View Post
    I think this may not be true for everyone.
    I think those peoples definition of strong would differ with mine.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Ten minutes per week to get stronger? That can only work for a very short period for extremely detrained individuals! Forget about BS training like that and start to train like a man…

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Ten minutes per week to get stronger? That can only work for a very short period for extremely detrained individuals! Forget about BS training like that and start to train like a man…
    So whats the cutoff point for being strong? or weak? I know guys who could basically crush any of us on this forum and they don't lift any weights ever and are really fat too.

How strong you are is really not a good measure of your fitness...in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by rockrunner; 06-22-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    So whats the cutoff point for being strong? or weak? I know guys who could basically crush any of us on this forum and they don't lift any weights ever and are really fat too.

How strong you are is really not a good measure of your fitness...in my humble opinion.
    Yes but dude, we are talking about weight training. Strength is all we can gauge improvement.

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yes but dude, we are talking about weight training. Strength is all we can gauge improvement.
    So my obese fat strong friends are good to go then...and they don't improve any since they are already super strong. Like I said strength is not a good marker for fitness....it can be to a point but its just one of many factors.

Zach is offline Banned
    Your missing the point. We are not talking about fitness. We are talking about how much time one has to spend in the gym to see strength improvements. And yes your fat strong friends could still be stronger.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast