Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym. page 4

rockrunner Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You cannot get strong doing 10 minutes of lifting a week, period. I dont care what your definition of strong is. Anyone who can only devote 10 minutes a week is just plain lazy or doesnt really care to be muscular.
    Well maybe you can't get stronger but I can, maybe you should educate your self some before spouting off non-sense.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Yes, I do, assuming you're not doing excessive volume or frequently going to muscular failure. Using an extreme example here, but Olympic weightlifters squat heavy several times per week, sometimes every day, for long periods of time, without problems.

I think you are severely underestimating the body's ability to adapt to a stimulus. And, in my opinion, your approach is overly conservative.
    Also i completely agree with this. Weightlifters use your bodies ability to adapt to get stronger. Training 6-14 times a week is optimal for strength and hypertrophy gains, usually never going to complete muscle exhaustion. 3-4 times a week is optimal for the average person who just wants to be strong and in great shape. 1 time a week is just pathetic and will not produce any significant gains in mass or strength. Super compensation by resting only works if you are completely tearing yourself apart which i do not believe you can do in 10 minutes even if you are going to failure and doing supermaximal holds.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    Well maybe you can't get stronger but I can, maybe you should educate your self some before spouting off non-sense.
    Would you please tell us about your strength gains while training 10 minutes a week? Beginning numbers and current? How long have to been training this way?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Not trying to be disrespectful here, but you have offered literally nothing in support of lifting weights 10 minutes per week. Don't accuse someone of spouting nonsense without offering any kind of support for your own argument.

I'm all for debate, as long as this doesn't get out of hand with insults and name calling.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

rockrunner Guest
    Would you please tell us about your strength gains while training 10 minutes a week? Beginning numbers and current? How long have to been training this way?
    Just educate yourself on weight training not just Starting Strength style...thats not the only game in the book...

Zach is offline Banned
    Just educate yourself on weight training not just Starting Strength style...thats not the only game in the book...
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Check my journal for how close my training is to starting strength.

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Not trying to be disrespectful here, but you have offered literally nothing in support of lifting weights 10 minutes per week. Don't accuse someone of spouting nonsense without offering any kind of support for your own argument.

I'm all for debate, as long as this doesn't get out of hand with insults and name calling.
    You haven't offered up anything on your side either other than your opinion that you agree with me and not Zach that a once a week weight training workout can make you strong.
    Last edited by rockrunner; 06-22-2013 at 03:03 PM.

rockrunner Guest
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Check my journal for how close my training is to starting strength.
    I never said you do Starting Strength plus your the one making claims here....you prove 10 minutes a week weight training can't make you strong...that's your claim...where is your proof?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    You haven't offered up anything on your side either other than your opinion that you agree with me and not Zach that a once a week weight training workout can make you strong.
    T NATION | Fact vs. Fiction: The Truth about Training Frequency
    American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Progression models in resistance training... - Abstract - Europe PubMed Central
    Determining Optimal Training Frequency - How to Build Muscle | Strength Training Workouts | Mass Gain Diet | How to Build Muscle | Strength Training Workouts | Mass Gain Diet
    Training Frequency for Mass Gains | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Some reading will do you some good.

You seem to be really intent on completely butchering what I'm saying in order to make your own point. Can training once per week make you strong? Sure, it's a possibility that, compared to not training at all, training once per week will make you stronger. Is it recommended for someone trying to gain an appreciable amount of muscle and strength within the next 5 years? No.

I'll reiterate: the human body is made to adapt to a stimulus. If the only stimulus you give your body to grow/get stronger is 10 minutes once per week, you're not going to get very far, sorry to break it to you. However, if you give your body a consistent stimulus that is enough to force adaptation several times per week, you will see more results.

I'm not bashing you for training for 10 minutes per week, but Zach is right. When compared to the results of someone who applies progressive tension overload three times per week (I'm not even talking about Starting Strength, any kind of program), the results of lifting 10 minutes per week will not even be close.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    The only carbs I eat are from vegetables and I work out daily for 2 hours. I feel just fine doing this... But honestly, everyone is different. Maybe try and eat some starchier vegetables prior to your exercise. Sweet potatoes are great fuel!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast