Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym. page 3

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    No problem, other than raw eggs are gross!

It depends on OP's goal. If it's to build muscle in a realistic amount of time, training once per week is not an efficient way to do so.
    Weight training once a week for 10 minutes seems very efficient for me...I get strength gains every week....how is that less efficient than doing something like Starting Strength for 2 -3 hours a week? I could get more strength gains from Starting Strength for sure but the time invested is a lot more and not as efficient time wise...that time I can spend doing more useful things health-wise. Can I get stronger on less than one hour a week of weight training.... you bet.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    How many times are you training per week? These are all things that are important to know.

Training to failure constantly is a great way to completely burn yourself out, especially if you're following a low carb diet.

So, regardless of how many times you train per week, I would recommend a full day refeed, and like Zach said earlier, it might even be necessary to have a carb-up meal somewhere in the middle of the week.

These are all things that you're going to have to play with. If you constantly feel lethargic and sleep quality is declining, consume more carbs during your refeeds and don't go to muscular failure so often.

It comes down to experimentation and what works best for you in your current situation.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    Weight training once a week for 10 minutes seems very efficient for me...I get strength gains every week....how is that less efficient than doing something like Starting Strength for 2 -3 hours a week? I could get more strength gains from Starting Strength for sure but the time invested is a lot more and not as efficient time wise...that time I can spend doing more useful things health-wise. Can I get stronger on less than one hour a week of weight training.... you bet.
    That's great that it's working for you. If lifting once per week is what you want to do and it's what you enjoy, keep doing it, I'm not trying to stop you.

What I am trying to say, and what I think Zach was trying to say as well, is that only lifting once per week is going to limit your strength/muscle gain results in comparison to multiple sessions per week.

This is due to consistent training stimulus, requiring more adaptation, which means more strength/muscle. This is not even a debatable point. More exposure to a stimulus = more results. Now, there is a point when stimuli becomes excessive, so don't interpret this as me saying you should lift 7 times per week for maximal results. I'm not saying that.

Like I said, do what works for you. But I don't think it's even a question that more exposure to a stimulus over a period of time is more effective than 10 minutes per week.

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    "More exposure to a stimulus = more results"

No. Because you're not letting your body enough rest. You're working against yourself mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post

No. Because you're not letting your body enough rest. You're working against yourself mate.
    Lifting weights three times per week is giving your body plenty of time to rest, assuming you're not doing a ridiculous amount of volume or going to failure on every set of every exercise, which is dumb in it's own right.

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    48 hours rest.... that's not a lot, you really think your body can rebuild itself so fast? I rather work harder but only once every five days and let my body rebuild itself.

rockrunner Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    That's great that it's working for you. If lifting once per week is what you want to do and it's what you enjoy, keep doing it, I'm not trying to stop you.

What I am trying to say, and what I think Zach was trying to say as well, is that only lifting once per week is going to limit your strength/muscle gain results in comparison to multiple sessions per week.

This is due to consistent training stimulus, requiring more adaptation, which means more strength/muscle. This is not even a debatable point. More exposure to a stimulus = more results. Now, there is a point when stimuli becomes excessive, so don't interpret this as me saying you should lift 7 times per week for maximal results. I'm not saying that.

Like I said, do what works for you. But I don't think it's even a question that more exposure to a stimulus over a period of time is more effective than 10 minutes per week.
    Good to see you disagree with Zach that you can get strong with a once a week weight training workout but not as fast as a longer more often less intense form of weight lifting. The debatable part is over the long run... is less effort performed more often better than than full effort performed less often for strength or muscle size improvement? I don't know the answer to this for everyone in general...I think it varies and maybe the best might be to change up the routine often.

Quies is offline Senior Member

I'd have to disagree. I work 6-12 hour days 6 days per week depending on the time of year and the weather with one day to rest. I literally work circles around young men (athletes and weight-lifters) we hire to help when things are tight and still lift enough to make their eyes bulge.

48 hours rest.... that's not a lot, you really think your body can rebuild itself so fast? I rather work harder but only once every five days and let my body rebuild itself.
    Yes, I do, assuming you're not doing excessive volume or frequently going to muscular failure. Using an extreme example here, but Olympic weightlifters squat heavy several times per week, sometimes every day, for long periods of time, without problems.

I think you are severely underestimating the body's ability to adapt to a stimulus. And, in my opinion, your approach is overly conservative.

Good to see you disagree with Zach that you can get strong with a once a week weight training workout but not as fast as a longer more often less intense form of weight lifting. The debatable part is over the long run... is less effort performed more often better than than full effort performed less often for strength or muscle size improvement? I don't know the answer to this for everyone in general...I think it varies and maybe the best might be to change up the routine often.
    As I've said, you can get results lifting once per week. Is it optimal if you're looking to maximize strength and muscle growth? I don't think so.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You cannot get strong doing 10 minutes of lifting a week, period. I dont care what your definition of strong is. Anyone who can only devote 10 minutes a week is just plain lazy or doesnt really care to be muscular.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast