Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym. page 2

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Read the book. There is tons of research going back from the 70s. High intensity once a week is just as effective.

But why do I need carbs? What's wrong with the fat I'm eating and stored fat? I'm pretty thin but I do have belly fat, why body is not using it?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Carbs are necessary for muscle glycogen repletion, which fuels intense training. Dietary fat doesn't fuel intense training.

Also, as I mentioned before, refeeds help you to side step some of the metabolism issues that can pop up with low carb diets.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    Read the book. There is tons of research going back from the 70s. High intensity once a week is just as effective.
    Then why are there no elite level athletes that train that way. In practice it does not work.

Cavewizard is offline Member
    I started lifting this week, going to be doing it mon/wed/fri, and after each session having a shake of 3 whole raw eggs, a banana and a handful of raspberries. Any problems there? I work out when i get home around 4:30pm, and sometimes that will be what breaks my fast as I don't eat breakfast and sometimes just work through lunch. I'd say I eat lunch half the time. Big dinners around 6:30.
    Starting DL: 135 Now: 380
    Starting Bench: 115 Now: 255
    Goal: Get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    It works for everyday people who are not elites...you only need to enough carbs to replenish your muscles before your next workout. If your workouts are close together than you need to eat carbs more often to match the workouts frequency otherwise just eat what you want and it will take care of itself.
    Training once per week is not optimal for someone looking to build muscle. Also, most people do just fine with one refeed per week, even if they train 5 times in that week.

OP, the real question is, what is your goal? This would help narrow down the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavewizard View Post
    I started lifting this week, going to be doing it mon/wed/fri, and after each session having a shake of 3 whole raw eggs, a banana and a handful of raspberries. Any problems there? I work out when i get home around 4:30pm, and sometimes that will be what breaks my fast as I don't eat breakfast and sometimes just work through lunch. I'd say I eat lunch half the time. Big dinners around 6:30.
    No problem, other than raw eggs are gross!

That's just utter non-sense...that just goes back to what is considered "strong".
    It depends on OP's goal. If it's to build muscle in a realistic amount of time, training once per week is not an efficient way to do so.

Its seems to be optimal for me and others...so your saying its impossible to get strong with only one workout per week?
    I don't think I said that? I said it's not optimal for building muscle.

Also, something "working" and something being optimal are completely different. Can you get strong on one workout per week? Sure. Will you see more results with three workouts per week? Yes.

It comes down to what OP's goal is.

I want lean mass... bigger and leaner.

I took thay book and jacked it up. 12 exercises instead of 6 and 3 times of each, 6 reps each, to failure. Rest 4-5 days.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The plan in the book is just 6 types of exercise, 6 reps each, that's it. You're done with it in 12 minutes. I go for two hours, every 4-5 days.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast