Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: No enough carbs? Workingout at the gym. page 12

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    I'm starting to think that you're all dumb or something.
    I think it's the other way around, to be completely honest.

Forget the 12 minutes a week. Full failure. Do you understand what that means? You work your muscle for 120 seconds until its DONE, totally burning and you can hardly move it. You damage it to the max and then let it grow back.

Why do you think that damaging your muscle for an hour is more effective? Don't you understand that damage is damage is damage, you don't have to keep damaging the muscle once its totally burned already?

You can work an hour on the same muscle or reach failure in 120 seconds, the result is the same.
    This whole post is full of so much fail I can't even begin to respond.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Are you implying that lifting three times per week will make you look like a monster? Laughable.

(Dang it, I keep falling for the troll)
    Well, if it doesn't make you super big then WHY THE FUCK BOTHER when you can get a really nice body with 2% of the effort.

If you're going to them gym for three hours a week and not totally ripped and look like a bodybuilder, then you're fucking wasting your time for sure.

Now THAT'S laughable.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Well, if it doesn't make you super big then WHY THE FUCK BOTHER when you can get a really nice body with 2% of the effort.

If you're going to them gym for three hours a week and not totally ripped and look like a bodybuilder, then you're fucking wasting your time for sure.

Now THAT'S laughable.
    Ok. Post your pics, and I'll post mine.

You've been asked to do this earlier because you continue to claim that what you're doing is superior, so show your superior results.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Yes, I see you run a blog about traditional workout, I wouldn't expect anything else from you. It's like the guy running a blog about weat one day reading that all grains are bad for him.

Enjoy your time at the gym while I'm busy being out in the sun having a life...

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    I think it's the other way around, to be completely honest.

This whole post is full of so much fail I can't even begin to respond.

One more video and then I'm leaving you to continue to live with your ignorance.

This is from cbs news. They took two twins. One trained 5 days a week for 90 minutes each day. The other 12 minutes a week.

After 4 weeks, who do you think lost more weight and gained more muscle mass? Mmmm. I wonder.

BBC News:

BBC News - Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

A few relatively short bursts of intense exercise, amounting to only a few minutes a week, can deliver many of the health and fitness benefits of hours of conventional exercise, according to new research, says Dr Michael Mosley. But how much benefit you get from either may well depend on your genes.

When I first read studies which suggested that I could make significant and measurable changes to my fitness by doing just three minutes of exercise a week, I was incredulous.

But this apparently outrageous claim is supported by many years of research done in a number of different countries including the UK, so I decided to give it a go.

Aerobic fitness is a measure of how good your heart and lungs are at getting oxygen into your body and is an excellent predictor of future health”

My guide into the world of High Intensity Training (HIT), was Jamie Timmons, professor of ageing biology at Birmingham University.

Jamie assured me that by doing just three minutes of HIT a week for four weeks, I could expect to see significant changes in a number of important health indices.

The first, and the one I was most interested in, is insulin sensitivity. Insulin removes sugar from the blood, it controls fat and when it becomes ineffective you become diabetic.

My father was a diabetic and died from complications of that disease. Jamie assured me that research from a number of centres has shown that three minutes of HIT a week improves insulin sensitivity by an average of 24%.

The second improvement I was likely to see would be in my aerobic fitness. Aerobic fitness is a measure of how good your heart and lungs are at getting oxygen into your body and is an excellent predictor of future health. I asked Jamie why.

"The simple answer is we don't know," he replied. "What we do know is that it is a very, very powerful predictor of future health."
    Genetic test

So if I could improve my insulin sensitivity and my aerobic fitness then that should improve my general health. But Jamie said there was a potential sting in the tail. There was a possibility that I wouldn't improve. Not because HIT doesn't work but because I've inherited the wrong genes.

The fact is that people respond to exercise in very different ways. In one international study 1,000 people were asked to exercise four hours a week for 20 weeks. Their aerobic fitness was measured before and after starting this regime and the results were striking.

Although 15% of people made huge strides (so-called "super-responders"), 20% showed no real improvement at all ("non-responders").

There is no suggestion that the non-responders weren't exercising properly, it was simply that the exercise they were doing was not making them any aerobically fitter.

Jamie and his collaborators investigated the reasons for these variations and discovered that much of the difference could be traced to a small number of genes.

On the basis of this finding they have developed a genetic test to predict who is likely to be a responder, and who is not. Jamie offered me that test. But I would not be told the results until I had completed my HIT regime.

I agreed, had blood taken and went through some baseline tests to assess my starting point, fitness-wise. Then I began to do HIT.
    Full throttle

It's actually very simple. You get on an exercise bike, warm up by doing gentle cycling for a couple of minutes, then go flat out for 20 seconds.

A couple of minutes to catch your breath, then another 20 seconds at full throttle. Another couple of minutes gentle cycling, then a final 20 seconds going hell for leather. And that's it.

So how does it work? According to Jamie, and other researchers I spoke to, part of the explanation is (probably) that HIT uses far more of our muscle tissue than classic aerobic exercise.

When you do HIT, you are using not just the leg muscles, but also the upper body including arms and shoulders, so that 80% of the body's muscle cells are activated, compared to 20-40% for walking or moderate intensity jogging or cycling.

Active exercise also seems to be needed to break down the body's stores of glucose, deposited in your muscles as a substance called glycogen. Smash up these glycogen stores and you create room for more glucose to be sucked out of the blood and stored.

Somewhat sceptical I went off and dutifully did my four weeks of HIT, making a grand total of 12 minutes of intense exercise and 36 minutes of gentle pedalling. I then went back to the lab to be retested.

The results were mixed. My insulin sensitivity had improved by a remarkable 24%, which was extremely satisfying, but my aerobic fitness had not improved at all.

I was crestfallen, but Jamie was not surprised. It turns out that the genetic test they had done on me had suggested I was a non-responder and however much exercise I had done, and of whatever form, my aerobic fitness would not have improved. My dreams of winning Olympic gold ended there and then.

I will continue doing HIT because I can see the benefits. It won't suit everyone, because although it is short, it is extremely intense. Like any new exercise regime if you have a pre-existing medical condition you should consult your doctor before trying it.

CNN:

Study: Working out harder for less time effective – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

""People’s risk of type 2 diabetes is inversely related to the amount of mitochondria in cells," said professor Martin Gibala, the study's lead investigator. "After the high-intensity training, the amount of mitochondria went up to levels that we've seen in traditional endurance training, 4-5 hours per week."

Translated: muscle fitness in just 20 minutes."

I'll keep bumping this with news / papers / research for weeks, to keep you happy.

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes, I see you run a blog about traditional workout, I wouldn't expect anything else from you. It's like the guy running a blog about weat one day reading that all grains are bad for him.

Enjoy your time at the gym while I'm busy being out in the sun having a life...
    Way to dodge again. You must be another skinny/fat big mouth.

Also no one cares about the articles, they are all about rank beginners and diabetics. lol. You honestly have no idea what your talking about, im guessing Power of 10 is the first and only book you have ever read on the subject.

Aha.

So I understand you were trying to live on sugar for awhile, what was that about?

But seriously, rank beginners? What the hell does that mean? You understand that you can keep adding weight in these protocols and keep making it harder, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Way to dodge again. You must be another skinny/fat big mouth.

Also no one cares about the articles, they are all about rank beginners and diabetics. lol. You honestly have no idea what your talking about, im guessing Power of 10 is the first and only book you have ever read on the subject.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Aha.

So I understand you were trying to live on sugar for awhile, what was that about?

But seriously, rank beginners? What the hell does that mean? You understand that you can keep adding weight in these protocols and keep making it harder, right?
    I still live on sugar.

I said all the studies were done on beginners.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast