Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stomach discomfort page

L0kI is offline Senior Member

Stomach discomfort

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all,
    I wanted to get your thoughts/recos for my current stomach issues.
    I've been doing a primal diet for nearly 3 weeks (zero grains, no sugar or processed foods, still a small amount of dairy - usually hard cheese, butter or cream in my coffee 1x/d). I've been eating a lot of meat, and fattier meats than I've ever been used to, eggs, tonnes of veggies and some fruit (maybe 2-3x fruit/day).
    For the first week, my stomach felt better than it had in years, finally no gas or bloating, no discomfort after every single meal... (Perhaps it finally had a break from grains). But later in the second week I started to experience some GI distress... It's slightly irritated regularly and then gets more irritated after I eat... A little bit if gas and a few sharp pains, and just generally noisey and irritated. The other thing that changed in the second week was that I started taking some Zn (50mg), Mg (300mg), D (1000IU) and the past three days, some potassium (50mg 2x/day). I try to take most of the minerals with meals b/c I know I have a sensitive stomach.
    I also take Welbutrin (300mg) and amytryptalene (10mg) daily, but I'm trying to reduce the amytryptalene (it's for Fibro).
    Just wondering about your thoughts... Would my stomach be healing and thus hurt or does that not make sense? If it was grains that had been bothering it and now they're gone, why is it still hurting? I thought I would be feeling better.
    Before I started this, I always seemed to feel stress in my stomach and it would bother me more close to my period...
    Anyway, thoughts...?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    It's the vegetables
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    leave the amitriptyline be until your more settled - it has quite an effect on the gut and the vagus nerve and the change in diet is enough for you right now.
    are you eating much more veg than you used to or different types or more raw?
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

I'm eating close to the same amount if veggies... I've always eaten a lot (was vegan fir 10yrs in my teens into early 20s. It might be slightly higher now to fill in where grains used to be, but I couldn't say it's substantially more. I'd say it's about half/half raw vs cooked... Raw is usually leafy greens like spinach/arugula/romaine... And salad veggies like cucumbers and tomatoes (fruit?), sometimes a bit of raw onion for flavour on salads. The rest generally end up cooked (steamed or roasted)... I love broccoli, asparagus, Brussels, peppers, onions....
    Should I only be eating cooked veggies?

Yes. I would cut out those vegetables entirely, or replace them with tubers.

Also, when you go from being a vegan, to eating normal food, constipation and stomach discomfort is normal.

I haven't been vegan in quite some time... I was on SAD for the last 6 yrs or so. So I'm not supposed to eat any if the vegetables that have the greatest nutritional value and nutraceutical-like benefits (Brassica)? Now I'm very confused... Most of the ppl on here eat next to no tubers, and recommend such... :s

Most people on here are constipated.

Also, vegetables have anti-nutrients, and many of the vitamins aren't bioavailable. They look impressive on paper only.

Any other thoughts? I feel like this advice is counter to everything else I've recently been learning. Also, I'm not constipated...

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    when yore eating higher fat it slows the general digestion down which gives an opportunity for more gas to develop- specially with gassy veg like broccoli,Brussels and onions.
    it might be worth cutting the volume of veg down a bit
    potassium can be hard on the stomach for a lot of people and can cause loose stools, I know I suggested you take it, but I don't think you need it with plenty of veg and 3 fruits so abandon it. For some reason i thought you were vlc
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-22-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by L0kI View Post
    Any other thoughts? I feel like this advice is counter to everything else I've recently been learning. Also, I'm not constipated...
    there is a reason for that. but if you're only interested in one side, then ok. sounds like you have an inflamed gut, probably from a variety of things in your diet, the vegetables just stood out the most to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast