I had serious IBS and it's associated ills. Here's the effects of Marks PB on me:
The diseases for which I came to PB, looking for a cure:
1. The tendency or desire to vomit while or after eating was gone in 2 days. (GERD)
2. The heavy gastric production of mucus which caused drooling in sleep was gone in 1 week
3. The IBS-C gas and water bloating was 90% gone in 2 weeks. (IBS)
4. At 3 weeks I began taking Milk of Magnesia every other day instead of every day.
5. At 4 weeks the ability to control urine outflow returned (I'd been afraid I'd have to wear diapers.)
6. After 5 weeks my completely dead bowel began working again. Peristalsis returned.
7. At 6 weeks I began taking Vits. D3 and C (mainly to prevent hair loss) and Magnesium Citrate (800 mg) to soften my stools.
8. At 7 weeks I bought Mark's Damage Control Package (vitamins and minerals). I'd already been taking prebiotics and probiotics, etc.
8. At 8 weeks my ‘bleeder’ condition ceased. All the permanent indigo bruises on my arms started going away, and I no longer bled continuously when my skin was torn or pierced.
At 2.5 months my stools are softer now but I’m still constipated. But some IBS remains at the best of days, and on the worst, after 2-3 days of no Milk of Magnesia (MOM) is really bad and painful. Also the process of moving water from my stomach to my bladder is very slow, about 8 hours. So although I was trying to extend the time inbetween MOM, as soon as I was constipated (any straining at all needed), I'd take MOM that evening.
At 3 months I started reading Fiber Menace and added Potassium. At 4 months I was down to MOM every 4-5 days and had finished reading Fiber Menace. That is a fantastic book that everyone here should read. During this month I was experiementing with how much Potassium I needed, cutting capsules or tablets in half. At 4.25 months I declared complete success. No more MOM needed. (Also I've become one of those nuts who examine their stools daily to see how things are going. Sure never thought I'd do that.)
- - - - - - - - - - -
It doesn't sound like you're nearly this bad. It doesn't say above, but I started taking probiotic capsules before every meal and highly recommend this as the basic cure. Later I added pre-biotics (sauerkraut, kim chi, yogurt, kefir, etc.)
As for potassium, if you're eating green leaves (about 3 large / day, raw or cooked) you're getting plenty of potassium so don't take any more. Read The Primal Blueprint and Mark's shopping list. The Mg is good. Eat a few brazil nuts (2) / day.
My foods were approx.
B - 2 bacon, 2 eggs, salt, pepper, tumeric, 2 cups coffee w 1/2 & /12.
L - 1.5 cup chopped greens sauteed in coconut oil with 1 slice chopped anchovy, 1/2 can tuna fish, 1 sliced turnip raw w salt, handful macademia nuts, 1 cup Greek yogurt.
D - Liver & onions, brussel sprouts, salt & pepper, Handfull of chocolate chips.
B - 2 eggs, salt, pepper, tumeric, 2 cups coffee w 1/2 & /12, 2 oz goat cheese (I'm out of bacon)
L - Sauerkraut, Salami, 1 Greek Yogurt
D - Red Snapper, Califlower, asparagus.
Include fish and meat daily. Any roots and leaves are good (no American potatoes, they're nightshades). I eat around 100 - 150 g carbs / day.
Last edited by Cryptocode; 06-22-2013 at 01:21 PM.
"When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase