Thread: Dive Right In page

ScarletFrost is offline Junior Member

Dive Right In

Primal Fuel
    My prime motivation to loose weight is Scuba Diving. I love it. I only have my Open Water certs, but I want to be a Dive Master someday. Here's hoping the PB can get me there.

I'm 5'7" and currently 197 lbs (weight myself this morning before coffee). I have an athletic build, thanks to centuries of farming ancestors. My BMI suggested weight is around 135, but even at my most-fit in high school as a pole-vaulter and hurtler, I was 145 lbs. I could vault 6' and beat the football players at mercy, and I had the best 4-pack stomach, so the weight wasn't an issue to me. I used to have an inverted triangle or T shape, but having a baby finally gave me hips. So with my new shape and slightly-heavier-than-average makeup, my goal is to get under 160 lbs. I also want to be able to do 10 pushups, 10 pullups, 100 situps, and run a mile without killing myself.

So...

I've been trying out the PB for the last week.

Breakfast is a cup of coffee with non-dairy creamer and a piece of fruit.

Lunch is usually leftovers, although yesterday we went to Panda Express. I had the Shanghai Steak (Wok Smart 250 calories or less), Mushroom & Zucchini Chicken (Wok Smart), steamed veggies (instead of rice or chowmein) and my treat was Sweet Fire Chicken.

Dinner is usually steak or chicken with a big veggie, like a huge salad or an artichoke or corn-on-the-cob. (Is corn-on-the-cob ok? I think it counts as a veggie since it hasn't matured fully.)

My workouts usually consist of running up and down stairs at work, running all over our huge warehouse, and lifting large rolls of media for our large-format printer.

And I guess I'll update as things develop.
    Last edited by ScarletFrost; 06-22-2013 at 10:04 AM.

I just had the first grass-fed tri-tip of my adult life. I'd forgotten how good it is.

My great-uncle raised beef cattle, and he fed them hay and silage. He was a pretty natural farmer even before it was "cool." As a kid, visits to the farm usually resulted in a home-grown beef roast, and it was always amazingly good. My uncle retired when I was a teen and died a couple years later at the ripe old age of 90. Yes, he didn't retire until well into his 80's. Even then, it took cancer three rounds to knock him out.

Since he sent the cows to Easter Washington, I have been stuck with supermarket beef.

Until today. I found a real butcher, with real meat, and she actually works with people who are strict paleo-dieters. The tri-tip cost me $8/lb, but so worth it. It's a treat I won't be able to afford often, but I can't wait until my budget opens up to try it again.
    "The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones that are being argued, but the ones that are assumed." C.S. Lewis

I think the hardest thing for Primal eating is lunch time. My husband and I only have half an hour, and we used to take leftovers between two slices of bread. We obviously can't do that anymore, so we're scrambling for something filling and not carb-y.
    "The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones that are being argued, but the ones that are assumed." C.S. Lewis

I actually counted my intake for breakfast. Between two cups of fat coffee, bacon, hash browns, and an egg, I had 56g fat, 13g protein, and 29g carbs. I wonder if I'm getting enough protein, but I feel quite full but not really weighed down like I do after a breakfast of pancakes. We'll see if this sort of breakfast can last me until 4:00pm.

We're starting to hit speed bumps. The limits on grains are taking away a lot of our cheap meal options, so we're not eating as much as we want to. The drop in my blood-sugar makes me rather cranky, and my husband has some food anxieties that show up when the cupboards aren't stocked very well. This affects everything, from our will to exercise to our cravings for junk food. I've lost some weight, but my husband feels fatter (but hasn't stepped on the scale yet). Hopefully we can figure out what to do before we break.

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Hey ScarletFrost,

Welcome :-)

I am not an expert, and everyone is different, but your mood swings I suspect are the result of getting rid of the carb 'addiction', and will pass. Your hubby I would suspect is the same, just manifesting in a different way.

If you need cheaper options and quick ones, I put Coconut Oil in my coffee which fills me up quite a bit - do a search on that, it's a common food item.

Corn is not really a vegetable, so personally I'd cut it as a 'staple'.

I also bought the book, to get the programme from the horses mouth so to speak, rather than millions of individual responses. At the end of the day, it seems to me, that there is ALOT of tweaking everyone does before they find the optimum for them.

Good Luck!

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm slowly kicking the corn. We'll still probably have a cob or two occasionally and some pickled baby corn in stirfrys.

One of the reasons why the primal plan is so attractive to me is that my family has a medical history of diabetes, and I want to avoid it at all costs. I've already had problems with my blood sugar. My prenatal diabetes test was almost over the desired mark. Pre-Primal, I also have had issues generally with my blood sugar just dropping out from under me (now I know it was my carb load running out) and leaving me weak and grouchy. I've done the tests, and I'm not diabetic yet, and I want to keep it that way.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Do you still use the nondairy creamer in your coffee? I would lose that and use heavy cream or coconut milk, the canned kind. Also, eating a breakfast of protein and fat keeps me full through the whole day. Start transitioning your first meal towards something like that.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

I use nondairy when the only other option is dried coffee-mate. *BLECK* I love full-fat cream in my coffee. My weekend latte involves espresso, cream, coconut cream, and cinnamon on top. So good! Starbucks needs to pick up a few fat-coffee recipies. I'm going to start trying eggs and coffee soon. I have an old Italian recipe for it.

Oooh--Interesting discovery: I used to always have nondairy creamer because I believed I had a milk allergy (I thought I was allergic to casein). I'd get headaches and sinus congestion all the time. The only dairy I could handle was hard cheese, because it had been fermented so long. However, since kicking the grains, my milk allergy has disappeared! I can have fresh cream, butter, any cheese, yoghurt, or ice cream without feeling stuffed up and swollen.

Last week was pretty bad--We ran out of funds before payday, so we had to have ramen noodles for lunch. I gained half a pound instead of loosing two, like usual. So I felt sick and fat. :P Kind of a discouraging week overall. Fortunately, I got paid and now back on track. We've been having lots of chicken and ground beef, since it's cheap, but we've been enjoying it and we're still loosing weight.

Lunches are still a challenge, but we've discovered that Panda Express works pretty well. I get the steamed veggies and have their wok-smart dishes which don't have breading on the meat. It's amazing how filled I get on just a small bowl of food!

I think I've gotten over most of the initial carb-flu, and I'm really enjoying the diet.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I only lost .2 lbs last week. I even worked out last week. My husband lost almost 4 lbs. Stupid male metabolisms.

But I invented a pretty good recipe for almond crepes. Top with organic cream cheese and turkey bacon, and it's a yummy breakfast.