Thread: Scuba and Swim page

ScarletFrost is offline Junior Member

Scuba and Swim

Shop Now
    Any other primal swimmers or scuba divers out there?

I have my Open Water certs, and I want to eventually become a Dive Master. It's a major part of my drive for loosing weight/building endurance by going primal. My first dive day, we did 3 dives off the coast of Catalina Island, and I was so exhausted after the third dive that it was difficult to focus on my teacher's instructions. Afterwards, I realized how dangerous my lack of endurance could be. Plus, I kinda looked like a sleek seal in my wetsuit. :P

Someday, I want to free dive with a school of hammerheads, which is going to require me to loose about 40 lbs and be able to hold my breath for about 2 minutes.

My preferred workout (which doesn't happen often because I'm so busy with full time work, full time school, and a husband and daughter) is swimming slow laps with ankle weights and a weight belt. Anyone have any good landlubber workouts for diving?

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Yes, I am a master scubadiver and been diving since 1986
    I do horsebackriding back home and it helps getting strong legs. I started bodyweight training (convict conditioning) in January and will discover next week if it help with scuba diving. I think it will because I have gained strength all over.

TigerBeard is offline Member
    Hi ScarletFrost

I also got into Primal to aid both my diabetes, and to ensure I pass my annual dive medical. I'm now an Advanced O.W. diver, and aiming for Master Scuba Diver. (Due to diabetes, I cannot do the semi-pro qualifications ).

After 3 dives, anybody should be pretty tired. All diving uses about 50% more energy to do everything - heart, breathing, movement, etc. - as you are working against the pressure. It's tiring stuff!

It is absolutely important to ensure you are diving safe; and that includes ensuring your blood sugar is adequate for the dive. Diving is not a primal activity; it has dangers that Grok was never exposed to! If things go wrong at 30m, there is no "I'll just change my diet to more Primal next time"... there may not be a next time.

It sounds though, as though you had "bonked" - used up all available free sugars in your blood, and your body was crying for some quick sugars to keep the brain alert.

Although your issue was post-dive, where you can eat Primal, it is vitally important to be aware of the pre-dive sugar levels; without correcting your blood sugars for a 4th dive, you may have been in trouble.

In this sort of situation, there is nothing wrong with reaching for a quick high-carb supplement (sweet fluids are quickest at this sort of recovery). Its when the occasional supplement becomes the standard diet that it becomes non-primal.

Primal has basic guidelines on being low-carb, but with the overriding "listen-to-your-body" rule. If your body NEEDS quick fuel to be alert, give it what it NEEDS. (Note NEED, not WANT... this is not pandering to cravings!!)

I have a requirement placed on me as a diabetic diver to ensure that my blood sugars are rising before and during the dive. So before each dive (after my bacon breakfast!!), I will have a couple of biscuits (preferably with dark chocolate - my preference). Its a handful of carbs, but it is more important to dive safe.

Personally I take the view that Diving is part of the 20 of the 80/20 rule. Break Primal immediately pre-dive; have something carby that will release its sugars during the dive. Post dive you WILL be tired/sugar low; restore your sugar level. Then resume Primal while safely on the surface.

Enjoy your diving!
    Richard
    Embracing my inner Caveman since Sept 2012
    Start BMI: 31.9 (if include "bigbone" 10% allowance: 28.7)
    Start Waist: 40in

CW [06/Aug/13]: 198lbs. Current Waist: 36in. BF%: 19.6%. Various Calcs
    BMI: 29.2/26.3 BF%: 16.45% Naval Research BF Method

TigerBeard is offline Member
    In addition - you can practise for apnoea/free diving, by simply floating face-down in the swimming pool, and timing your breathhold. Do let the lifeguards know you are about to do this, as it freaks them out completely! The main thing to learn is how your body reacts to running out of air, and what it feels like. You will get some involuntary spasms after about 1 minute when the body starts screaming at you to breathe, but you actually have quite a bit of oxygen left. I can go for at least 1 minute more once my spasms start.

I have increased my static breathhold to 3mins 1sec, and can swim 50m on one breath.

There is a very good article on static breathhold training from www.apneadiving.org.

Richard
    Embracing my inner Caveman since Sept 2012
    Start BMI: 31.9 (if include "bigbone" 10% allowance: 28.7)
    Start Waist: 40in

CW [06/Aug/13]: 198lbs. Current Waist: 36in. BF%: 19.6%. Various Calcs
    BMI: 29.2/26.3 BF%: 16.45% Naval Research BF Method