Thread: Is this strength training routine any good? page

Driedmango is offline Senior Member

Is this strength training routine any good?

I'm going on holiday soon, and considering I've never done any strength training without my trainer, I'm a little bit frazzled. I don't want to just turn into a lump, especially because I'm going to be on holiday for 2 months. I know I could just do what I do with my trainer, but I wouldn't really know how to take it further. I can't lift as heavy as I do with her on my own, since I get stuck sometimes and need help (I've gotten stuck under the barbell when I failed at the benchpress, and once on squats ). I was looking online for some strength training schedules, and found a twelve week program on here: The Ultimate Female Training Guide: Specific, Proven Methods to Get Lean And Sexy | SimplyShredded.com.
    I'll type it out for you guys though, so you don't have to go scroll through all that literature:

Weeks 1-4: 8-12 reps
    Weeks 5-8: 6-8 reps
    Weeks 9-12: 4-5 reps

Day one: Upper Body A
    Bench Press
    Bent Over Row
    DB Shoulder Press
    Lying Tricep Extension
    Barbell or DB Curl

Day Two: Lower Body + Abs A
    Squat
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Standing Calf Raises
    Lying Leg Raise
    Swiss Ball Crunch

Day Three: Upper Body B
    Dips
    Pull-ups (I'd do kneeling or negatives, since I can't do a pullup yet)
    DB Side Lateral
    Tricep Cable Pressdown
    Cable Curl

Day Four: Lower Body + Abs B
    Deadlift
    Leg Press
    Lunges
    Seated Calf Raises
    DB Shrugs
    Incline Crunch
    Back Extension

And you do 3 sets of everything, with the number of reps depending on the week.
    It also says to do sprints (15 seconds sprinting, 45 seconds recovery x 10-15, and then 30-45 minutes of low intensity cardio) two to four times a week.

Any thoughts on whether or not it's any good? If it's not, any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help!
    Last edited by Driedmango; 06-22-2013 at 12:31 AM.
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    That is way too many exercises and too much volume. Aren't you supposed to be on holiday???

Stick with the basics. I don't know if you have access to a gym or not, but you cant go wrong with the basic barbell lifts if your comfortable with doing that.

Otherwise, there are great body-weight alternatives that you could do. Pushups, squats, lunge variations. Pulls/chins, bodyweight rows, L-sits.
    Tonnes.

Plus a lot of those exercises just aren't generally safe IMO. Leg curls, say goodbye to your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    That is way too many exercises and too much volume. Aren't you supposed to be on holiday???

Stick with the basics. I don't know if you have access to a gym or not, but you cant go wrong with the basic barbell lifts if your comfortable with doing that.

Otherwise, there are great body-weight alternatives that you could do. Pushups, squats, lunge variations. Pulls/chins, bodyweight rows, L-sits.
    Tonnes.

Plus a lot of those exercises just aren't generally safe IMO. Leg curls, say goodbye to your knees.
    I'm teeechnically on holiday, but not really, since it's more like going back home.

I will have access to a gym, and i am pretty comfortable with the basic lifts, since thats all i've been doing for a while. I just wasnt sure if it'd be okay to just do those every time, because of overworking the same muscles etc. So i was kind of hoping for something new.
    And since im pretty inexperienced with everything else, i was unsure what exercises to match up on the same day and all that.

Thank you so much for your input!

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Driedmango View Post
    I'm teeechnically on holiday, but not really, since it's more like going back home.

I will have access to a gym, and i am pretty comfortable with the basic lifts, since thats all i've been doing for a while. I just wasnt sure if it'd be okay to just do those every time, because of overworking the same muscles etc. So i was kind of hoping for something new.
    And since im pretty inexperienced with everything else, i was unsure what exercises to match up on the same day and all that.

Thank you so much for your input!

Your not going to overwork the muscles or the body if you stick to the basic compound lifts. Your body is designed for those moves. There's nothing wrong with adding in extra stuff if you FEEL like it, but keep it simple.

Squat, Deadlift, Bench, press, pull/chin and your pretty much done

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Your not going to overwork the muscles or the body if you stick to the basic compound lifts. Your body is designed for those moves. There's nothing wrong with adding in extra stuff if you FEEL like it, but keep it simple.

Squat, Deadlift, Bench, press, pull/chin and your pretty much done
    Haha i'll try my best. I think i was just being lazy and wanted a ready-made routine. I'm going to try and work up to a proper pull up! Juuust one, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    Yeah, first of all, you're going to be on vacation, so I don't think you're going to have time to do all of this stuff! I think you'll want to be spending time with people around you and exploring the city. You'll most likely be walking a lot of places (I know I do on vacation!) and having so much fun, it'll be a great stress relieving experience for you overall.

That being said, if you want to do any of these exercises, I strongly advise that you have someone there to spot you! A couple of times, I have been lifting weights and thought that I'd be just fine, but then something happens and I need help! You shouldn't do heavy lifting by yourself, ever.

Laaaastly, will you have a computer around? If you're going to have a bit of available space and a laptop, you could just do some bodyweight exercises in your hotel. They work great and are a combination of cardio and strength training, so you get more bang for your buck. My favorite fitness channel on YouTube right now is FitnessBlender! But if you type in "bodyweight exercises," "HIIT," or "full pilates videos" then you'll get plenty of results. You can also look at the COY fitness journal, and I've posted a few videos that I've done lately, if you want.

Just try to relax and have fun though, mango! you deserve it.
    I think i'm scared i'll just lose momentum, excercise-wise. The thing about Dubai is that you dont walk anywhere, lol. Way too hot! And everythings way too far!

I almost always exercise in the morning, before i have to interact with anyone, so i usually have the time . All my friends are the sleep till noon type. I stress out a lot if i dont exercise regularly (i seem to think i'll just turn into a balloon). And having an already-made routine puts my mind at ease, since i dont have to think too much.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Driedmango, you don't need to do all that! I would stick with the squats, deadlifts, bench press (bar or dumbbell), dumbbell row, and shoulder press - mixing it up 2-3 times a week. If you walk a lot and maybe do some push ups and practice pull ups when you have time, you will stay fit without stress or worry. Even adding in some HIIT stuff, like burpees or sprints, once a week should be easy to fit in as well.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    that's why I like doing bodyweight exercise videos.... someone is there telling you how to do stuff, so you're not really by yourself. you're not makign it up as you go along. and the fitnessblender videos especially help because they're like "i know it hurts but you can do it! just one more set! go go go!" lol check some out before you leave. maybe do a test run to see if you like it. I understand what you mean about stressing about losing momentum because I'm the same way. I just don't want you to injure yourself!
    I actually looked up the fitnessblender videos, and they seem really good lol. Definitely going to be doing some of those when I'm too lazy to go to the gym .
    Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Driedmango, you don't need to do all that! I would stick with the squats, deadlifts, bench press (bar or dumbbell), dumbbell row, and shoulder press - mixing it up 2-3 times a week. If you walk a lot and maybe do some push ups and practice pull ups when you have time, you will stay fit without stress or worry. Even adding in some HIIT stuff, like burpees or sprints, once a week should be easy to fit in as well.
    You're riiiiight! I tried day one of that thing, and I didn't even enjoy it as much as the barbell lifts. I'm going to go back to that tomorrow . I'll be doing the pushpress with the barbell, and I haaate it, because it's so hard for me, lol. But I want to get better! And my goal is to be able to do at least one pull up by the end of the summer!

Thank you guyyys!