Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin worsening on Primal? page

ayumi is offline Member

Skin worsening on Primal?

Primal Fuel
    For years I've had skin issues, with acne and eczema. Since starting Paleo/Primal I noticed my sebhorreic dermatitis worsening. Now I have red splotches on the right side of my face and forehead. I'm worried because our family will be traveling by plane next week and I don't want my face to scare the TSA. Any advice??

(Except for the skin issues my overall health is better! )

sauerKraut is offline Member
    Same here.

I started eating primal/paleo mostly to heal my skin (psoriasis /sb), and I saw no improvements. It actually got worse, especially after I went very low carb.. there are people having success with the Autoimmune Protocol, which I tried, but just the stress alone that this strict way of eating causes is enough to worsen my condition.

Honestly after years of looking around, I found people putting their autoimmune diseases in remission with ALL kinds of diets: vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, paleo, raw-paleo, autoimmune paleo, fruitarian, ...

Finding a way of eating that you are comfortable with and can sustain indefinetly without obsessing over food constantly is in my opinion just as important as the quality of the food that you are eating.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I get red patches from dairy. No dairy = no red spots. That's all I've got.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ayumi is offline Member
    Sauer, I started because of my asthma not skin issues. It has helped tremendously. We're not feeling too stressed out with the food so things are ok on that front.

Knife, I'm allergic to dairy so haven't included it in my daily diet for years.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you've been at eliminating for awhile. Have you also been eating plenty of liver and seafood to really, really, really nourish your skin?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth, will all it's collagen and stomach-soothing properties, might help too...

sauerKraut is offline Member
    I'm glad it's working this time last year I was ketogenic and doing cold therapy, and I was free of the seasonal allergies that I get every summer! I just had to chose between that and my skin!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    And you're completely gluten free? That would be the first thing to check. Then look at what you've added to your diet, not what you've removed from it. Maybe the skin response is to something that you now consume regularly (coconut, avocado, new kinds of veggies or fruit, sweeteners, way more eggs???) that you didn't before you went Primal/Paleo?

An elimination best diet is the way to determine that, but you certainly don't have the time for that before your trip. However, if something twigs in your brain that you want to cut out in the next week, go with that thought first...

Good luck with it. I hope your skin is soon looking as healthy as the rest of you feels.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I started primal years ago to heal my gut...and it got worse too. I ended up doing a modified autoimmune protocol and found that with some food journaling and observation I needed to cut out nightshades and eggs on top of dairy and keep my nuts to a minimum. Try an elimination diet (start off autoimmune paleo) for 30 days and then reintroduce things if you really would like to get to the bottom of it all. Seeing a good ND may also help.

Liz Wolfe has a pretty splendid skintervention guide that is paleo/primal based. Check her out here:
    http://skinterventionguide.com/

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ayumi View Post
    For years I've had skin issues, with acne and eczema. Since starting Paleo/Primal I noticed my sebhorreic dermatitis worsening. Now I have red splotches on the right side of my face and forehead. I'm worried because our family will be traveling by plane next week and I don't want my face to scare the TSA. Any advice??

(Except for the skin issues my overall health is better! )
    It could be that you are still detoxing and the toxins are coming to the surface on their way out. Be sure to take a multi vitamin and drink lots of filtered water. Also, dandelion root helps a lot to purify your skin. Use a face cleansing brush with something like pro-activ cleanser. I've been using MARIO BADESCU products and like them very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast