Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat during the apocalypse! page

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member

What to eat during the apocalypse!

Primal Fuel
    If you haven't seen or heard, a huge area of southern Alberta is massively flooding.
    Seriously, on Instagram or twitter, search #yycflood or #abflood

I've been glued to social media bc that is where I grew up. It's absolutely shocking to see all the flooding where usually it is drought ridden.

Anyhow, many people were quickly evacuated and had like 15mins to leave their house.

That got me to thinking - if I was quickly evacuated with no idea when I'd be going home or where I'd be staying, would I still try to eat primal? I mean, food and water right now are at a premium, with grocery shelves being emptied. Or would I take what I can get?
    My 6yr old needs to eat GF, so would I still make her eat that way or would I let her eat whatever just bc I wouldn't know when we'd eat next?
    What would you do during a natural disaster?

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    We have a backpack full of canned fish, canned meat, almond butter, lara bars, fruit leather, and dried fruit. We live out in the boonies, so if we get snowed in, we want to have food to eat. In an emergency, we could evacuate with that backpack. It's rather heavy, but that's what I have Knifegill for, right?

It's also good to remember we can go a long time without eating, so a fast isn't too terrible (though worse for little ones). Also, a week or two of eating junk won't kill you in the long run, especially if you're burning it off. Though, if your have real health reasons (celiacs, for instance) not to eat gluten or an allergy to the junk in processed foods (which is what they'll give you at shelters), then make sure to stock up on your own dehydrated jerky, fruits, pemmican, and canned foods--just to be ready!

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    You find primal friends to take you in! We're in Calgary, but well away from the flood zones, and took in some good friends with a fur kid who got evacuated today. They don't eat primal per se, but she's GF, dairy and egg free by necessity, so it's no big deal to sort out meals.
    If it were me, though, having to evacuate, I'd be sure to have plenty of jerky, dried fruit, pepperoni stix, tinned fish for the mister (I just can't). I'd make my own larabars, trail mix, maybe some nutty/dried fruit cookies. It's not total end of days here, outside of the immediate flood zones it's business as usual so it wouldn't be too hard to keep things relatively on track. Full on apocalypse, though, you ultimately have to work with what you end up with.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    All the flooding and evacuation has had me thinking about how worthless my food stockpile would be in that situation...
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    All the flooding and evacuation has had me thinking about how worthless my food stockpile would be in that situation...
    I was thinking the same thing. Mostly our food is in the freezer so I would only be okay if my power stays on and I was able to stay in my house. I live a 10 minute walk from the river, but luckily I'm on top of a hill and there's no chance of flooding or evacuation here. Thinking we need to keep more canned food and jerky around. Even fresh fruit and vegetables would last a while in this situation.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have some jerky, homemade larabars, and canned fish. But to provide for a week of safe food would take a much greater stockpile.

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    I figure if it is the apocalypse, all bets are off and I'll eat whatever I can get my hands on. Even if it is processed carbs. I figure I'll burn them off fighting the zombies.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    The neighbors...... (their just gonna become Zombies anyways...)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    The neighbors...... (their just gonna become Zombies anyways...)
    Hmm, zombies are just meat that's been hung on the bone for a while. I mean, talk about tenderised, it's just falling off the bone, right? What's more, you don't even have to hunt them as they come to you. So really it's about having a decent set of recipes for zombie meat.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    Hmm, zombies are just meat that's been hung on the bone for a while. I mean, talk about tenderised, it's just falling off the bone, right? What's more, you don't even have to hunt them as they come to you. So really it's about having a decent set of recipes for zombie meat.
    Stir fried zombie with foraged veggies and rice (we all have rice in our go bags, don't we?)
    Zombie confit (zombie slow cooked in its own fat)
    Surf and turf: thin sliced zombie served next to canned sardines
    Zombie Cracklin's
    Zombie liver pate' made with reconstituted goat milk and foraged scallions
    Zombie stew with foraged veggies and roots

It's a start.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast