Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any primal preggos out there? page

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member

Any primal preggos out there?

Primal Fuel
    7 weeks pregnant, been primal for 6 months now. Wanted to see if there are any other ladies out there who are doing this whole primal pregnancy thing and we can get our own thread going. So far I've been having major nausea and a bit of an aversion to eggs and meat. this is my 2nd pregnancy and I'm kind of resenting the fact that I can't have quick easy snacks like crackers or cereal to keep my morning sickness at bay. But I'm very committed so I'm sticking to plan ,I just wish there were some easy options. Other than that fatigue has been my only other complaint but that should subside in a couple weeks.

Hope there are some of you out there to join me!
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    28 weeks pregnant, been primal for about 2 years. For the first four months, I couldn’t stand the smell of meat or eggs, let alone eat them. I was nauseous and weak and faint, and ended up taking a month off of work (working with preschoolers and toddlers is a very stressful job full of nasty germs, and I really couldn’t keep up). I ate a LOT of cheese and yogurt, as well as horribly expensive organic frozen dinners cooked in the oven, just to get food in me. I’m still battling nausea, but I can eat meat now, YAY!

I was always able to stomach broth, though, so I had my husband make me some when I was working and couldn’t smell it (I wish we had our pressure cooker then. I could have had it made in 1 hour versus 12!). It helped with the nausea and got some proteins and healthy fats in me. Sometimes I'd drizzle egg into it to make egg drop soup, which was quite yummy! I ended up resorting to a lot of rice pasta with butter and flavored with ginger and garlic to battle the nausea and to be able to eat something. I even ate a lot of rice mac & cheese in desperation, sigh . I also made a lot of banana pancakes and custards to get more eggs into my system. Pumpkin custard is also yummy, as are sweet potato fries baked in the oven (or bought at the store). If you can stand nuts, eat spoonfuls of almond butter or munch on nuts as a quick, easy snack. Cheese and yogurt are also easy snacks, too!

I hope your nausea goes away faster than mine. I was so sure I would have a great, easy pregnancy. My mom did (no morning sickness, no cravings, fast labor) and I’m really healthy. From all reports, being primal helps immensely with morning sickness, etc. But, no luck for me… or things would have been really bad if I didn’t eat the way I do. It’s hard to tell! Ah well, at least my baby is doing great!

I had some eggs yesterday no problem, today the thought of them makes me want to wretch :/ I got so sick yesterday after eating a hot dog at a kids b-day party I was stuck in the bathroom for nearly an hour drenched in sweat. It was horrible and I'm still feeling the effects today. Last night I made some cream of broccoli soup and that was ok. I'm stuck where I'm super hungry but I don't want anything, I mysteriously dropped 2 lbs this week too. I'm overweight so it's not concerning but I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough:/

I seem to be finding that like you I can tolerate dairy and fruit, but I don't always want them either. I have yet to make bone broth but I'm going to as soon as I can get my hands on some quality grassfed bones. Someone suggested organic puffed rice cereal when I was lamenting not being able to have cereal. So I'm def gonna look for some as well. I've been thinking about maybe buying rice crackers to have on hand to but I think any of the ones I've seen always have bad oils in them too.

I too heard primal was supposed to make pregnancy easier too, I've been wanting to buy Primal Moms Look Good Naked: A Mother's Guide to Achieving Beauty through Excellent Health: Peggy Emch: 9781936608669: Amazon.com: Books by Peggy the primal parent , have you read this?
    Veronica

dawn297 is offline Junior Member
    Hi! Another pregnant primal lady here! To be fair I am 39 wks pregnant, but for the time being, I still fit the bill.
    I have to admit I loved those rice waffles in the first weeks of pregnancy when I was nauseated. To make them a bit more nutritious when I could stomach it I would add lots of grass fed butter on top (I was happy to get any fat for the baby's development) and sea-salt, and sometimes nut butters or really thin slices of meat on top.
    I couldn't stand eggs and most meat either until 12 weeks and then from 27 weeks until umm hardly ever now?! One thing I did love was fritatta's (with no potatoes) with lots of grated cheese (my stomach does just fine with hard cheeses) and herbs. And I found out my main problem wasn't per-se-the taste of the food as much as it was me smelling the cooking process. So if I made myself some awesome steak(or any other food) I couldn't eat it, but if my husband made me some crappy simple (primal) foods, I sometimes had seconds and thirds.

As for not eating enough, just try to find 1-2 nutritious things you can have every day that you know you'll be able to eat. When after 27 weeks I got nausea worse then in the first 12 weeks, I basically forced myself to have at least a glass of really-sour organic drinking yoghurt for breakfast if nothing else (seriously, I come from a really long line of shepherds and cow raising farmers, I can take dairy if not badly pasteurized) and a slice of rice waffel with butter on it. If I did that first thing in the morning, I was content I at least had some good nutrition for the baby. That made having a next meal easier.

Good luck!

You've only got a week left! I agree with not wanting the food I've cooked myself. Or ill make something, eat it, but the thought of eating the leftovers is disgusting. So far I've been living on Caveman Crunch | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations this with milk for breakfast, it's really tasty, I know it's high in PUFA but I only have 1/4 cup at a time and it really helps my cereal craving. Then I try to eat protein and veggie for lunch , yesterday I picked up a rotisserie chicken and baked some potatoes and loaded them with butter, sour cream, and cheese. Ive really been craving potatoes big time. I wonder why all of us have a meat and egg aversion. As i was eating the chicken last night I really had to force myself, it tasted good but I was getting queasy. Now today for lunch I have last nights leftovers and the thought of eating it makes me nauseous :/

Congrats hope you have a safe labor and delivery!
    Veronica

Thanks vlo, you too congrats! Being pregnant is pretty awesome.

For the meat thing I've read some theories that the body needs extra cholesterol for the baby, and that basically that means there's less for the mother, which in turn means there isn't enough bile for digestion, which in turn creates an aversion for fat, or something like that. My brain is a bit fuzzy. But it's basically a vicious chain of events, and the body cheats by asking for more carbs which are turned into cholesterol.
    As for the milk, it doesn't have to be a bad thing, if you can tolerate it, and if raw or at least not homogenized or not pasteurized. If your body can take it and doesn't react badly to it, then a bit can even bring about some much needed protein (it will have more protein than rice, right?!) and some fats.

As for why we can't stand eggs and meat...I really don't know. I've read a lot of theories, but I think they're all bull. My idea is maybe in the first few weeks we need more fat/cholesterol than protein. If I remember right, the brain and nervous system is formed first, and I suppose that's mainly fat anyway?

Thanks vlo, you too congrats! Being pregnant is pretty awesome.

For the meat thing I've read some theories that the body needs extra cholesterol for the baby, and that basically that means there's less for the mother, which in turn means there isn't enough bile for digestion, which in turn creates an aversion for fat, or something like that. My brain is a bit fuzzy. But it's basically a vicious chain of events, and the body cheats by asking for more carbs which are turned into cholesterol.
    As for the milk, it doesn't have to be a bad thing, if you can tolerate it, and if raw or at least not homogenized or not pasteurized. If your body can take it and doesn't react badly to it, then a bit can even bring about some much needed protein (it will have more protein than rice, right?!) and some fats.

As for why we can't stand eggs and meat...I really don't know. I've read a lot of theories, but I think they're all bull. My idea is maybe in the first few weeks we need more fat/cholesterol than protein. If I remember right, the brain and nervous system is formed first, and I suppose that's mainly fat anyway?

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    24 weeks. Had a major offroading week...er...three? maybe more during the first trimester and oh goodness, the morning sickness was EVVVVVVVVVIL!!

Cleaned up my plates and morning sickness went away. I'm not big on breakfast and I found if I just nibble on something small (handful of fruit, thin slice of leftover meat, ect) in the morning and then have a larger lunch zero upset tummy. Which is awesome because with Munchkin I was so sick the entire time. Nine months of puking morning, noon, and night. So, this is awesome, though...as if to make up for it, I'm having other tummy issues which, no matter how many prunes, veggies, or other "move along" type foods I eat they don't seem to help. *embarrassed*

Anyhow, this whole pregnancy has been such a difference than with Munchkin. With her I was following the SAD diet trying to be so healthy and I had sooooooooo many issues and complications. Not sure if its the primal diet or just that every pregnancy is different but this time around has been a lot easier. Fingers crossed the rest of the pregnancy is as easy as the first part.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

vikyb is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you ladies, aversion to eggs still hasn't gone away (12w+3) the thought makes me nauseous!
    This pregnancy is so different to my first with Pooh Bear, I had no issues and my fiancÚ took the morning sickness for me. Not this time round! I've lost 14kg since conception, and weight is stable since I can only stomach about 2 meals a day, and they're not all that big either. Not having grains has been easy, bread makes me feel ill just smelling it, thankful I haven't actually been sick yet.
    I have noticed an increase in saliva, and a sour/metallic taste consistently. Has anyone else discovered this?

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    I cannot eat eggs at all when pregnant, or meat for the first three/four months. It will probably pass.

Congratulations to all the Mammas to be!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast