Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: people who eat wheat seem to be doing fine! page

troubledstudent is offline Junior Member

people who eat wheat seem to be doing fine!

Shop Now
    Glad I got your attention.

I'm pretty young, @ 19 years old, so it's uncommon for guys my age to be eating healthy. When my friends ask me about Primal Eating and I mention that wheat is terrible for us, they go on to respond that they eat it all the time and dont seem to be having any problems.

And I kind of don't know how to respond to that, I guess it's just cause they're young and disease hasn't quite crept up on them yet (even though I have all sorts of symptoms... which I think have been slowly improving since eating Primal). A lot of people spend their whole lives eating wheat and the decreased immune function, impaired digestion, etc doesn't appear to be affecting a whole lot of people.

Does the body get used to dealing with it, or is it genetics? or what? I guess I'm also just frustrated that so many people can eat pretty terribly and the worst thing they get is keratosis pilaris. I feel like I was a born with a defective body or something.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The average celiac sufferer is diagnosed only after a decade of searching for a doctor who will take them seriously. Many are not diagnosed until after decades of debilitating symptoms have caused irreversible damage.

Ignore your friends. Don't try to help them understand. They are not ready for it.

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    I didn't know how good I felt until I gave up wheat.

Depression gone, fatigue gone, energy went up, motivation and desire to check back into life went up.
    Acne gone. I could go on for hours

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    You're right. When you're young you can get away with all kinds of crap, because you have tremendous inner strength and endurance. Most of us don't begin getting digestive problems, for example, until the 40's, 50's, or even later. But then it takes a much longer time to return to any kind of depleted health.

You're lucky you've become aware of these problems at an early age. You can be in really peak health.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I got on the health nut thing pretty early, so I know what you are talking about. I think that some of it will take care of itself though....

I will relay a personal story: I played and excelled at football in HS and was given a full-ride for my first year at a division one program (it wasn't Alabama, but not Podunk State either!). I had always worked out, but my diet had always been a "whatever" kind of thing. Sometimes I drank a Muscle Milk; most of the time I ate junk. I was 19 then, for my freshman season.

In short, I sucked ass. I played WR and H-back, and most practices consisted of getting my lunch handed to me by guys 70lbs heavier than me. I had constant joint issues, lost weight as the summer went on (2 a days), and overall wasted my opportunity. I ended up getting red-shirted before the season even began, to save me from being "4th string", I.E. practice squad. It was made clear to me that I wasn't going to get my scholarship renewed my sophomore year. My school cost 20k a year. That was a problem

I was friends with a guy that eventually made it to the NFL, on our team, one of only 4 or 5 my school had ever produced. I think he played 4-5 seasons at TE for an NFL team I won't mention. That fall, I pretty much asked him "how do you do it?". He was a genetic freak of course, but he worked and dieted big time. He was who started me on paleo (I was hardcore back then, I do dairy now) as well as real weightlifting programs.

I had spent months with ankle and foot problems, spending plenty on orthotics and podiatry appts....He told me to ditch that. Walk barefoot in the park. Get Vibrams. I had never had a vertical jump....that winter I added almost a foot to mine. The list was endless. I changed everything I was doing. I asked him to lead me to water I guess, and I took it all in. It's what lead me to sites like this, 8 years later.

That spring, I showed up to practice, effectively a walk-on, a totally different player. I had gained 25lbs since the early fall when I got shirted, increased by 40m by .2 seconds (light years in football), was no longer hurt, etc. I told the coaches I wanted to play defense. I got moved to safety and started my next 2 years before quitting to go to medical school.

My point is that "doing fine" is never the goal. I could probably eat twinkies and wash them down with scotch every night and be technically alive....the point of primal is that it is as best I can tell the most effective, simple method to maximize yourself. It took me from version 1.0 to 2.0. It will likely do the same for you, as it has for many others with much better stories than mine. Don't listen

"To be alive; you must first be incontent....to just survive." - Chuck Palahnuik
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 06-21-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I thought I was "fine" even though I was 50 pounds fatter, farted every five minutes, had horrible gut pain on a daily basis, sleep apnea, rosacea, barfed in my mouth after eating very often, had to walk with a cane sometimes and was covered in boils and zits. Since I'd always been that way, for the most part, it seemed like baseline. At age 25. And that's crap. It was the zits and joint pain that finally sent me hunting for the answer. Didn't expect to cure all of it, and was angry at how easy it was. Why did nobody tell me is was the wheat and crap oils turning me into virtually a disabled person?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I was diagnosed with my first autoimmune disease at 25 in 1997, however research didn't catch up and classify it as an autoimmune disease until a few years ago...
    In the meantime I kept eating wheat/grains. Not SAD, but the "healthywholgrains" version and the stress to my system caused me to develop a second autoimmune disease.
    Up until I was 25 and got sick rather suddenly I was super fit/in shape and felt wonderful... I was extremely active and never would have believed that food was the cause of my problems.

Stopping all wheat/grains and going Primal/Paleo has drastically reduced the symptoms of both diseases.
    It's no cure, but as my doctors have explained once damage has been done, it's done.

I'm certainly not saying that everyone who eats all wheat and grains, and all the processed grain/seed oils (don't even get me started on the GMO issues) of the typical American diet is absolutely going to develop some sort of problem. But if on looks at the increases in the medical problems over the past few decades where our consumption of these foods has risen... it's not a good bet to make.
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-21-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I thought I was "fine" even though I was 50 pounds fatter, farted every five minutes, had horrible gut pain on a daily basis, sleep apnea, rosacea, barfed in my mouth after eating very often, had to walk with a cane sometimes and was covered in boils and zits. Since I'd always been that way, for the most part, it seemed like baseline. At age 25. And that's crap. It was the zits and joint pain that finally sent me hunting for the answer. Didn't expect to cure all of it, and was angry at how easy it was. Why did nobody tell me is was the wheat and crap oils turning me into virtually a disabled person?
    Yeah, we don't let you eat wheat. That gas was waaaaaaaaay too bad! You were notorious for it!

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    This is what makes me sooo mad!!!!

The fact that no-one will tell you it's the wheat and sugar. The fact that no-one will be honest enough to tell you how awesome your life can be without it.

I am unbelievably mad at the medical system right now!!

zebonaut is offline Senior Member
    25 years of IBS simply VANISHED when I started eating bacon/ eggs; and ditched the whole wheat toast; cereals; oats; bagels wheat thins; pretzels; popcorn; english muffins; pizzas... add some kefir for fresh probiotics; and perfect digestion...

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast