Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: people who eat wheat seem to be doing fine! page 8

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    You're seriously comparing wheat to cigarettes? Goodness, this is too much.

I don't want to be "that guy" who argues with everyone (seemingly this is what's happening in another thread), but this is borderline crazy talk.
    The science is much more conclusive with regards to cigarettes, but yes, I'd say it's a fair comparison. We're 50 years ahead in terms of our awareness of the implications of cigarettes, but they both cause 'life time achievement' diseases.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    With the diabetes trials no. If you're talking about the Ornish heart disease trial then yes, but what's that got to do whether they ate a lot of whole grains or not?
    It has to do with what you wrote: "people have been able to reverse hypertention, obesity and even heart disease and diabetes by eating a lot of whole grains"

I think there a lot more to the picture than whole grain consumption reversing their diseases - like all the other stuff they changed too.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    The science is much more conclusive with regards to cigarettes, but yes, I'd say it's a fair comparison. We're 50 years ahead in terms of our awareness of the implications of cigarettes, but they both cause 'life time achievement' diseases.
    Which is why I think it's ridiculous. To make a statement like that with nothing to back it up is scaremongering, and it's not acceptable to make such an unsubstantiated comparison.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    It has to do with what you wrote: "people have been able to reverse hypertention, obesity and even heart disease and diabetes by eating a lot of whole grains"

I think there a lot more to the picture than whole grain consumption reversing their diseases - like all the other stuff they changed too.
    I never said that was the sole reason or even a major reason. It was the fact they were able to reverse heart disease on a diet that emphasized whole grains. Essylstyns study was only diet focused and also emphasized whole grains. I'd sure like to see a successful heart disease reversal study that emphasizes smoking or butter consumption.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I never said that was the sole reason or even a major reason. It was the fact they were able to reverse heart disease on a diet that emphasized whole grains. Essylstyns study was only diet focused and also emphasized whole grains. I'd sure like to see a successful heart disease reversal study that emphasizes smoking or butter consumption.
    As far as butter's concerned, did you see the recent re-evaluation of the Sydney study? I'd say that is as conclusive that butter is protective as Esselstyn's grains trials. Nobody in their right mind thinks smoking prevents heart disease.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I think we know enough to make "no wheat" the default public policy. Add wheat at your own risk the mantra.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Which is why I think it's ridiculous. To make a statement like that with nothing to back it up is scaremongering, and it's not acceptable to make such an unsubstantiated comparison.
    Which was totally the position of the tobacco industry 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I think we know enough to make "no wheat" the default public policy. Add wheat at your own risk the mantra.
    Yup.

There's a lot to be said for the 'herd mentality' as a shortcut for wise default behaviours. But in this case the herd is wrong.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerKraut View Post
    Seriously, some of you wheat-o-phobic should spend a few days in Paris and pay attention at how much "wheat" they eat and yet are able to walk just fine wirhout crawling from the stomach pain.
    Before anyone answers "yeah but the baguette is nothing like that processed crap we have in america" = you are proving my point.
    What a bunch of whiners we wheat-o-phobes are! We people who eat wheat and claim to be sick for weeks are just making it up to annoy you, because clearly the fact that 100% of Parisians don't have gluten intolerance is proof it doesn't exist and is a figment of our imaginations.

We should just shut up and eat the gluten, eh?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post

We should just shut up and eat the gluten, eh?
    I would settle for you just shutting up personally.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I would settle for you just shutting up personally.
    I know it bothers you that there are people who exist that are clear proof that your agenda is false.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast