Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: people who eat wheat seem to be doing fine! page 6

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    When I was 19 I was diagnosed with various food allergies. I went off of those foods and about 15 lbs melted off of me (I didn't have tons to lose) and I was unstoppable as far as energy and focus.

Two things:
    1. A woman at my allergist's office was so kind and explained to me that you can experience some depression around not being able to eat what everybody else was eating. That just stayed in my mind and kept me in check when I wanted to "be like everyone else.
    2. And MORE important, I am so very grateful now that I became aware--at such a young age--about how food affects our bodies. The bonus is I never consumed soda or candy the way other people did through my 20s and 30s (sans the rare splurge).

I see now what a beautiful blessing that diagnosis was.

Also, I was often embarrassed to tell people I had allergies. I made my way the best I could. Now, though, I do say I eat low carb and at least people get it. I don't try to save or convert anyone. What a turn off...I don't want anyone telling me what I should eat.

So, my suggestion to you is to live to you fullest and let others do the same--even if you don't agree with their choices--and ask them to respect your freedom to choose what feels best for you. Get in touch with why you're doing it and people will pick up on your commitment and leave you alone. Don't explain yourself!

Hope this helps!

sg

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troubledstudent View Post
    And I kind of don't know how to respond to that, I guess it's just cause they're young and disease hasn't quite crept up on them yet (even though I have all sorts of symptoms... which I think have been slowly improving since eating Primal).
    This sounds like a pretty good response to me. Your friends are young and disease hasn't quite crept up on them. Simple as that.

And ya know, everybody has a defect somewhere. If this is your defect, then count your blessings that you identified it and it's easily curable and preventable.

I didn't "have any problems" either until the acid reflux hit at age 29.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    I just want to reiterate that your response should be about what YOU want or about how YOU feel. Anything else can lead to you sounding defensive, or it may put your friends on the defense.

"Be the change you seek." In other words, if you don't want anyone telling you what you should or shouldn't eat or feel, then do the same service for them. The best way to do that is completely detach from what they do and respond with something like, "this is what makes me feel good."

After all, that's what it is all about.

You're doing great!

sg
    Last edited by spicegirl; 06-23-2013 at 11:39 AM.

quikky is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Nocebo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wheat is junk, mostly, but I have a hard time believing everyone that claims revelations upon ceasing consumption of wheat. I still eat pizza and pancakes every so often with no problems whatsoever.
    I'm with you there. I think the primal/paleo diet is a much better way to go than the SAD, but sometimes people just claim ridiculous things from it.

You ever read vitamin/supplement reviews? There are always a few people that claim < insert supplement here > cured their depression, gave them a ton of energy, got rid of their joint problems, fixed their tooth decay, reversed their diabetes, improved their sexual performance, gave them restful sleep, etc. Sometimes these things can be true, but I think it's usually a placebo effect.

Similar thing can be observed with the diet. I mean it's healthy, and certainly if you had a bad intolerance to things the diet restricts, like wheat, you will indeed feel much better. However, it's not a panacea like some claim.
    Last edited by quikky; 06-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    You can't begin to understand until you have the actual experience, people can describe it in millions of ways and you will never understand until you find yourself in a similar situation.
    I too doubted most of this stuff until I went through the process myself.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    In the old days, some people just had "bad digestion" their whole lives. And then they would die of "natural causes".

sauerKraut is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    In the old days, some people just had "bad digestion" their whole lives. And then they would die of "natural causes".
    Wheat is not the only cause of bad digestion.
    Not everyone who eats wheat has bad digestion.
    I don't do well with wheat. I also don't do well with butternut squash.

Seriously, some of you wheat-o-phobic should spend a few days in Paris and pay attention at how much "wheat" they eat and yet are able to walk just fine wirhout crawling from the stomach pain.
    Before anyone answers "yeah but the baguette is nothing like that processed crap we have in america" = you are proving my point.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerKraut View Post
    Wheat is not the only cause of bad digestion.
    Not everyone who eats wheat has bad digestion.
    I don't do well with wheat. I also don't do well with butternut squash.

Seriously, some of you wheat-o-phobic should spend a few days in Paris and pay attention at how much "wheat" they eat and yet are able to walk just fine wirhout crawling from the stomach pain.
    Before anyone answers "yeah but the baguette is nothing like that processed crap we have in america" = you are proving my point.
    There's been countless healthy populations that have consumed wheat. In fact some of the healthiest people in weston price's book consumed whole wheat. The main problem I have is when people dismiss "grains" as bad. It's about as making broad statements like "carbs" are bad. Considering that people have been able to reverse hypertention, obesity and even heart disease and diabetes by eating a lot of whole grains suggests they aren't the great dietary evil people propose.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Many young people smoke cigarettes with no ill effects. This illustrates the point you are trying to make.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    people have been able to reverse hypertention, obesity and even heart disease and diabetes by eating a lot of whole grains
    No they haven't. Who, when and where?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast