Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 131

Thread: people who eat wheat seem to be doing fine! page 12

  1. #111
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerKraut View Post
    I have literally no idea what you are talking about.

    This is what you wrote to me in a previous post:

    "We people who eat wheat and claim to be sick for weeks are just making it up to annoy you, because clearly the fact that 100% of Parisians don't have gluten intolerance is proof it doesn't exist and is a figment of our imaginations."

    I never said that 100% of Parisians do not have gluten intolerance. I simply said that the majority of people can handle wheat just fine. I never said people who cannot handle wheat are making it up. Just that it's a minority. Hence, my example with eggs sensitivities...if a minority of the population has egg sensitivity, it does not mean that everyone has it and that eggs are bad for everyone. Please let me know if something is not clear to you.
    You just said that going to Paris and watching people eat bread there would somehow prove us wrong in some indefinable way, as though watching people eat bread in Paris is different from watching people eat bread here.

    The idea that people who avoid gluten because it makes them sick have an irrational fear of gluten is clearly something only someone who is opposed to the concept of gluten intolerance would say.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-25-2013 at 02:22 PM.

  2. #112
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,199
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Afterward, my stomach HURTS and I can't poo for days (not really a shock, and I think this is more about the sudden flood of a substance I almost never eat, rather than true gluten intolerance).
    Hmm, after a wheat cheat (hey, that rhymes) I usually don't poo for a day, but then I take the poo of all poos, like have to flush twice to even...

    Ok, sorry, back on topic, gluten is bad and all that.

  3. #113
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by troubledstudent View Post
    Glad I got your attention.

    I'm pretty young, @ 19 years old, so it's uncommon for guys my age to be eating healthy. When my friends ask me about Primal Eating and I mention that wheat is terrible for us, they go on to respond that they eat it all the time and dont seem to be having any problems.

    And I kind of don't know how to respond to that, I guess it's just cause they're young and disease hasn't quite crept up on them yet (even though I have all sorts of symptoms... which I think have been slowly improving since eating Primal). A lot of people spend their whole lives eating wheat and the decreased immune function, impaired digestion, etc doesn't appear to be affecting a whole lot of people.

    Does the body get used to dealing with it, or is it genetics? or what? I guess I'm also just frustrated that so many people can eat pretty terribly and the worst thing they get is keratosis pilaris. I feel like I was a born with a defective body or something.
    Whatever happened to our troubledstudent,
    or are we really talking problem child?

    2 threads started, no replies, maybe too much time on public computers, beginning to suspect we may have a mole in our midst.

    As for the wheat thing, I'm anti for the same reasons others are,
    I have moderate side effects,
    My research indicates the problem is far bigger than anyone suspects,
    There is no compelling reason to eat it from a nutritional point of view.

    So as mentioned multiple times in different wording it is a high risk product with low reward potential,
    if it were a financial investment product, high risk low return, no one would touch it with a barge pole.

    The pro wheat argument seems to pretty much be based on the thread title, many eat it and seem to be fine.
    I thought about that and find it ironic that so many of these individuals have very strong negative views about Soy, PUFA's, feedlot meat etc, yet somehow wheat seems to be an exclusion in their eyes.
    From what I have seen the evidence is no stronger or weaker, one can merely say many people eat SAD and seem to do fine.
    Choosing a diet & lifestyle for better health is always going to be opinion based, sure there is some evidence, but very little is overwhelming, so it will always come down to a personal judgement of risk vs reward based on the information one has available and the weighting they give to this information.
    The argument that many people eat it and seem to do fine is ineffective as we can simply point out that this group of many is the ones who are developing chronic diseases, trying to counter this with confounders is pointless because the confounders were already present in the original statement.
    So the statement could easily and justifyably be re-phrased:
    Many people eat wheat and go on to develop chronic disease.
    Last edited by Omni; 06-25-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

  4. #114
    Wildrose's Avatar
    Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by troubledstudent View Post
    Glad I got your attention.

    I'm pretty young, @ 19 years old, so it's uncommon for guys my age to be eating healthy. When my friends ask me about Primal Eating and I mention that wheat is terrible for us, they go on to respond that they eat it all the time and dont seem to be having any problems.

    And I kind of don't know how to respond to that, I guess it's just cause they're young and disease hasn't quite crept up on them yet (even though I have all sorts of symptoms... which I think have been slowly improving since eating Primal). A lot of people spend their whole lives eating wheat and the decreased immune function, impaired digestion, etc doesn't appear to be affecting a whole lot of people.

    Does the body get used to dealing with it, or is it genetics? or what? I guess I'm also just frustrated that so many people can eat pretty terribly and the worst thing they get is keratosis pilaris. I feel like I was a born with a defective body or something.
    It's genetic luck. Until recently I've eaten wheat and had no real effects... or at least, no recognizable ones. I did end up over 300 lbs, but I didn't know that was from wheat. I had no problems with my bowels, no IBS. I did have keratosis but I thought it was just a rash. I sometimes wish I had had some dramatic symptoms. Maybe it wouldn't have taken so long to realize that my diet was wrong for me. SO I don't think that being 'fine' with gluten is necessarily a good thing. Although it does mean I can cheat on rare occassion without much consequences.

  5. #115
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I did end up over 300 lbs, but I didn't know that was from wheat.
    You're contributing this entirely to wheat? Not trying to argue, just wondering.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  6. #116
    Wildrose's Avatar
    Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    You're contributing this entirely to wheat? Not trying to argue, just wondering.
    I'm sure it was the sugar too. But I'm sure the wheat had a lot to do with it. I started losing weight even before I went primal, after I moved home. My mom rarely ate bread just because she was on Weight Watchers and it was too expensive in points, so it often wasn't in the house.

  7. #117
    Raddogs's Avatar
    Raddogs is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    3

    I wish this happened to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    I didn't know how good I felt until I gave up wheat.

    Depression gone, fatigue gone, energy went up, motivation and desire to check back into life went up.
    Acne gone. I could go on for hours


    I cut out wheat and the other bad stuff and I now have all of your symptoms, any idea as to why?

  8. #118
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I'm sure it was the sugar too. But I'm sure the wheat had a lot to do with it. I started losing weight even before I went primal, after I moved home. My mom rarely ate bread just because she was on Weight Watchers and it was too expensive in points, so it often wasn't in the house.
    Excess calories should undoubtedly shoulder a lot of the blame, no?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  9. #119
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Excess calories should undoubtedly shoulder a lot of the blame, no?
    How?, you either burn them off or get fat.

    Sounds like you're clutching at straws.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

  10. #120
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    How?, you either burn them off or get fat.

    Sounds like you're clutching at straws.
    Huh? I'm sorry, I don't think I understand what you're getting at. Are you asking how excess calories contribute to excess weight gain?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •