Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 131

Thread: people who eat wheat seem to be doing fine! page 11

  1. #101
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    You're not wrong
    nihil

  2. #102
    janie's Avatar
    janie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    691
    From a real troll.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

  3. #103
    diene's Avatar
    diene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,659
    Wheat makes me breakout. Not sure what it is in wheat that does that, but it's enough reason to stay away from it. I had wheat for the first time in months over the weekend. I expected to experience some kind of gastrointestinal distress from it, but i really didn't. Did make me breakout though. This morning. Sigh.

  4. #104
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerKraut View Post
    Gluten Intolerance ???? I'been active on the forum for only a couple of days and I can already tell you that you are a major troll. I'm sensitive and alergic to eggs = they are bad for EVERYBODY, some people just don't "know it". (by your stupid logic)
    I keep coming back to this trying to figure out how to respond. I know that later you claimed you had no idea calling someone a "troll" was not a deliberate insult.

    But the idea that I have ever told people that they shouldn't eat eggs or wheat because they make me sick... I have never said that. So the question is, why would you be saying something that is demonstrably untrue? How would someone who has only been on the forum for a few days know that months ago I was posting about working through my egg sensitivities?

    Well, you could be a sock puppet.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 06-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.

  5. #105
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Sauerkraut-
    You've only been on the forum a couple of days but feel it is okay to call a major contributor a troll? Bad form.
    I've been lurking the forum for a while, just recently began contributing more regularly, and I've seen that eKatherine has the tendency to overreact/put words in your mouth if you say something that doesn't mesh with her opinions. Just what I've seen, not a personal attack at all.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  6. #106
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    I've been lurking the forum for a while, just recently began contributing more regularly, and I've seen that eKatherine has the tendency to overreact/put words in your mouth if you say something that doesn't mesh with her opinions. Just what I've seen, not a personal attack at all.
    You and I disagree on some basic things. I personally think that 7-10% of the population that you suggest may have gluten intolerance is actually a whole lot of people, more than most illnesses about which public policy steps in.

    I was actually surprised when you gave such a large number, because although I believe it is that large (actually I believe in the concept of a continuum of symptoms), I normally use 1% as an estimate, which means I add 1% celiac + 1% gluten intolerant + 1% wheat allergic to get a 3% total. That's still a huge number of people whose lives are negatively impacted by the ubiquitousness of wheat in our food supply.

    I don't know the perfect solution, but if we were concerned about health from a public policy standpoint, we wouldn't be waiting 10 years on the average for celiac sufferers to be incidentally diagnosed before giving such members of the public the information they could have used to improve their health. We wouldn't be limiting the diagnosis and treatment to people who figured out their problem and self-diagnosed it over the internet first, then went to pay a doctor $5K for invasive tests.

  7. #107
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,086
    No JJ is correct (based on the research I have read). Celiac is approximately 1% and gluten intolerant is estimated at 10%, however I'm not sure how much higher wheat allergic takes you. I kinda forget where it went. Here is an article that quotes a few of the researchers in the field though.

    How Many People Have Gluten Sensitivity

    I'm of the mind that gluten sensitivity ranks in the 30-50% range (possibly higher than fifty% as it seems to keep rising) and increases in prevalence with age. As such it may either be a causative factor or co-morbidity associated with many of the diseases of aging. Be it autoimmune, GI, headache/migraine...ect. Consider that most AI diseases begin in the 4th decade

    Its all quite debatable right now, but I do believe that if you look at the data critically.... and include the prevalence and association of the other diseases associated with it then you come to the conclusion (or opinion if you like) that gluten really does effect a rather large portion of the population negatively. IMO the peak of the bell curve is gluten sensitive.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-25-2013 at 01:17 PM.

  8. #108
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Its all quite debatable right now, but I do believe that if you look at the data critically.... and include the prevalence and association of the other diseases associated with it then you come to the conclusion (or opinion if you like) that gluten really does effect a rather large portion of the population negatively. IMO the peak of the bell curve is gluten sensitive.
    +1

  9. #109
    sauerKraut's Avatar
    sauerKraut is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Krautland
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I keep coming back to this trying to figure out how to respond. I know that later you claimed you had no idea calling someone a "troll" was not a deliberate insult.

    But the idea that I have ever told people that they shouldn't eat eggs or wheat because they make me sick... I have never said that. So the question is, why would you be saying something that is demonstrably untrue? How would someone who has only been on the forum for a few days know that months ago I was posting about working through my egg sensitivities?

    Well, you could be a sock puppet.
    I have literally no idea what you are talking about.

    This is what you wrote to me in a previous post:

    "We people who eat wheat and claim to be sick for weeks are just making it up to annoy you, because clearly the fact that 100% of Parisians don't have gluten intolerance is proof it doesn't exist and is a figment of our imaginations."

    I never said that 100% of Parisians do not have gluten intolerance. I simply said that the majority of people can handle wheat just fine. I never said people who cannot handle wheat are making it up. Just that it's a minority. Hence, my example with eggs sensitivities...if a minority of the population has egg sensitivity, it does not mean that everyone has it and that eggs are bad for everyone. Please let me know if something is not clear to you.

  10. #110
    heatseeker's Avatar
    heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    593
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wheat makes me breakout. Not sure what it is in wheat that does that, but it's enough reason to stay away from it. I had wheat for the first time in months over the weekend. I expected to experience some kind of gastrointestinal distress from it, but i really didn't. Did make me breakout though. This morning. Sigh.
    Same here! I don't know if it's the gluten or the wheat itself, but when I stay off wheat and gluten completely, my skin clears up. When I cheat with even a tiny bit of wheat, I can expect a cascade of little hormonal breakouts 2-3 days later, that last for about a week. It's not bad cystic acne, just annoying, consistent little breakouts along the jaw and neck.

    The only time wheat hurts my stomach is if I have a crazy wheat-feast. On very rare occasions, I've been known to have a "DIE PALEO DIE" meltdown, and have a dinner of, like, pizza, beer, garlic knots, cookies, more beer... essentially 100% wheat. Afterward, my stomach HURTS and I can't poo for days (not really a shock, and I think this is more about the sudden flood of a substance I almost never eat, rather than true gluten intolerance). But just a little wheat cheat here and there, like a cookie, piece of toast, or single beer? No GI distress, just a breakout 2 days later like clockwork.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •